Can't install Tools for Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hussainahm, Dec 1, 2006.

1. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

Using XP Pro Corporate and the log file says:

Set Logging to 2
    bctool_install() finished with rc 5
    Parallels Tools for Boot Camp Setup program cannot find file %s\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab. This file is required for successful installation of Tools and can be found on Windows XP installation CD.
    Setup cannot be continued.

Tried installing with the Windows CD in the drive, and the file is located in Windows\Driver Cache\i386 but still not installing

2. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

i think the problem is because it's Corporate. there is someone else in the main 3036 discussion who is also using Corporate and not being able to run it. there are other also who are not able to complete installation of the tools, i'm guessing they're also running corporate.

3. cflem

cflem Junior Member

I have the EXACT same problem...

Fooey.... Anyone got any ideas?

Set Logging to 2
    bctool_install() finished with rc 5
    Parallels Tools for Boot Camp Setup program cannot find file %s\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab. This file is required for successful installation of Tools and can be found on Windows XP installation CD.
    Setup cannot be continued.

This is my error...

CF

4. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

So the bottom line is: the current version of Parallels Tools for Boot Camp (1.0.3) won't install on XP Corporate and the installer will just disappear without completing the installation. The log file will say:

Trying to run Parallels will then show this:

[​IMG]

5. cflem

cflem Junior Member

Anyone?

Parallels guys? is there a workaround for this?

is there a switch for the installer that will fool it into working?

anything?

CF

6. nhand42

nhand42 Member

I'm running XP Pro Corporate from a Bootcamp partition, works fine with Parallels 3036. The dialog that hussainahm pasted occurs when you select "Microsoft Windows" instead of "Parallels Configuration" from the boot menu.

7. srcshelton

srcshelton Bit poster

Ah! I have this exact problem (see here) with the boot message.

I'm using a stock (non-corporate) original edition of Winows XP Professional.

Any news on how to fix this?

8. cflem

cflem Junior Member

bump

bump bump bump

9. cflem

cflem Junior Member

no - the INSTALL of the parallels tools never completes - its quits in the middle and gives that error log...

we never get a chance to get to a boot menu... the tools never install...

CF

10. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

A little more information for the Devs...

Running the installer in administrative mode, "Parallels-Tools-bcp-1.0.3-Win.exe /a", to extract the packages (to try and get around the error) dies with the following error.

"Setup can't find the file VMLbInst.dll. Setup cannot be continued."

Unfortunately, google searches for VMLbInst or VMLbInst.dll return only one hit, and it doesn't seem relevant. I don't have a standard windows disk since we have a vlk here... so i'm unable to see if extracting the package works on a standard windows machine.

Can anybody out there attempt to do this from a non-corporate install and see if you can get this mystery dll out?

11. iobe

iobe Junior Member

Same problem here:

The tools just quit in the middle of installation. Run with the /a switch I get the VMLdInst missing dialogue.

12. rhanks

rhanks Bit poster

I'm having the same issue. Hopefully someone can come up with a fix.

13. sabotage

sabotage Bit poster

Same error, Parallels-Tools-Bcp-1.0.3-Win.exe quits during installation, and trying to create a VM with bootcamp in OSX, I receive the "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration..."

Running Macbook C2D. Bootcamp running XP Pro SP2 NTFS.

What log file are you guys looking at? The only thing I found was in Event Viewer:

14. bobt

bobt Bit poster

Parallels Tools for Bootcamp fails to install

Error occurred during installation of Parallels Tools for Boot Camp. Error code: 1. Please, contact Parallels support.

Windows XP SP2.
    Fat32 drive
    MacBookPro CoreDuo 2.0 gig.
    2 gig ram.
    160 gig drive
    two partitions

UGG. But hopeful.

15. bobt

bobt Bit poster

Same thing when using a /a on a non-corporate XP SP2.
    BT

16. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

So I've finally gotten to the point that i can extract the dll from the installer, but with the dll in the path it still cannot find it. Also, regsvr32 claims it cannot find the entry point, so it cannot be registered... Still at a blank.

17. 5150Joker

5150Joker Bit poster

Having the same problem as everyone else here. Hope the parallels devs can find a solution to this.

18. peeInMyPantz

peeInMyPantz Bit poster

corporate gave me this error. tried non-corporate after that and it works. but i can't get all the drivers to be installed

19. thegdog

thegdog Bit poster

Add me to the list with the problem.

MacBook Pro here.
    Windows XP Professional retail version, SP2

20. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Bit poster

Where do I find the boot menu ?