Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cflem

cflem Junior Member

Cant install Parallels Tools - XP Corporate Edition

Using XP Pro Corporate and the log file says:

Set Logging to 2
    bctool_install() finished with rc 5
    Parallels Tools for Boot Camp Setup program cannot find file %s\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab. This file is required for successful installation of Tools and can be found on Windows XP installation CD.
    Setup cannot be continued.

Tried installing with the Windows CD in the drive, and the file is located in Windows\Driver Cache\i386 but still not installing

I use this at work and would love this functionality!

HELP!

CF

2. academianut

academianut Bit poster

Use real partition?

This is great news! However, one thing I have not seen (perhaps I missed it) is whether this use real partition feature requires boot camp or not. There are other, non-boot camp ways of multibooting OS's. I would like to use parallels to access my other OS partitions that were created without bootcamp.

Did I miss this information somewhere?

3. jjb

jjb Bit poster

This on a MBP, running Parallels with the START menu running down the left hand side, and "auto hidden". There are 2 "Windows" windows showing, plus Safari

HTH,

JJB

[​IMG]

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You can 2-nd HDD to your VM and mount it to Boot Camp - Add Hardware Assitant has such option. This is indeed the feature which called "Read/Write Boot Camp"

5. rangr

rangr Member

made no difference where i selected coherence-- from menu or from sidebar gives mouse drift. have also found that resizing parallels window and selecting different resolution from windows display control panel results in mouse drift.

6. dsmccrac

dsmccrac Member

Importance of multiprocessing

Andrew, sorry to take so long to reply to this as I have been off sick. First of all, this Beta release has been a great and unexpected early Xmas present! Thanks! :D

As you your question about multiprocessing, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT IN THE ACADEMIC, SCIENTIFIC, AND THE CAD WORLDS. Andrew your argument (one core for Parallels and one for the Mac) makes sense for users of many macs, but for the towers it effectively wastes 2 cores. I have few one person running high end simulation software on a tower, and when he is running this software I believe many of his processor cores are sitting around looking bored! There are others considering buying the towers and probably will when the Adobe apps become universal binaries. Sales of the Towers has been a bit slow due to lack of universal binary support by many developers. When these guys move to universal, the tower sales will really take off and there will be a lot of parallels customers who want to run parallels with more than just one of their 4 cores (or if the rumors are correct, 8 cores!)

Thanks... Don

PS: this was not meant to piss on anyones cornflakes! You guys have done great and are doing great. But I think mulitprocessor support should move to the front burner -- sorry for 2 food analogies in once sentence ;)

7. snodman

snodman Member

Also on a 24" iMac, can't now boot into Bootcamp

Not only am I getting the dreaded Microsoft "You have 3 days to reactivate" warnings whenever I boot into the VM using Bootcamp as my startup VM, when I try to boot directly into BootCamp now I also get stuck at the partition screen with no keyboard or mouse response in XP/BootCamp to let me select the "Windows XP" partition.

This is on a virgin Parallels installation of the new beta where the only ever installation of XP was through BootCamp and I just used the option in Parallels to use the BootCamp partition as my VM boot drive. Obviously I did follow the instructions to boot into BootCamp first, then install the BootCamp tools, then run Parallels (in this case for the very first time on this Mac) (which worked amazingly well - fabulous job!) which found and booted successfully from my BootCamp XP install.

So two show stopper bugs in my case. Constant reactivation won't work - my son runs 3D games several times a week and will need BootCamp for that, and now it appears I can't even get INTO BootCamp directly any longer. Is there ANY workaround for the keyboard thing on an iMac? They work fine (after the first VM reeboot) in the VM.

8. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Am I right in thinking the new Coherence and drag and drop features are only available with Win XP (maybe 2000)? The don't seem to work with a Windows 98se VM here.

And clipboard synchronization is still borked with Windows 98se - the Parallels Tools window shows just the first character of the OS X clipboard, and I can't paste anything into Notepad. Copying from Notepad to an OS X text window works fine.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  9. Andrew @ Parallels

Yes, correct.

10. DizziD

DizziD Bit poster

Back to no launch with the beta...

I couldn't run parallels for quite a while, then with the last release version things started working properly for me. Now with the beta, I'm back to this message when I try to launch any virtual machine:

Parallels Desktop failed to initialize Virtual Machine memory subsystem. If this is the first time you see this message, try to reboot your computer and start your virtual machine again. Otherwise please contact Parallels support. Error code (2)

Not sure how to help troubleshoot it, as nothing has changed except the beta - hope I can get it working. The new features look great.

11. Michael A. Lowry

Michael A. Lowry Bit poster

There are two physical SATA drives in the system. The second drive is partitioned into two partitions: one Journaled HFS+ partition and one NTFS partition. The Boot Camp partition is the NTFS one.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  12. Andrew @ Parallels

Drag and drop and Coherence are available only for Windows 2000/XP/2003 now. We are working on Vista support and it is planned to support Linux in future. But I doubt we will support Windows 98 for these features.

13. Michael A. Lowry

Michael A. Lowry Bit poster

I doubt this will ever work. MacDrive works when you have booted the machine into Windows because it has exclusive access to the Mac HFS+ volumes. When you are booting the virtual machine into Windows, there's no way MacDrive running in that virtual machine can get exclusive access to the Mac volumes. This is because Mac OS X is booted off of one of those volumes and Parallels is running off of one of those volumes.

Your best bet is probably to use the Shared Folders feature to share your Mac volumes with the VM.

/Michael A. Lowry

14. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Thanks, I rather suspected I'd get that answer. And how about a fix for drag and drop to Windows 98? (see my edit above - you are too quick ! :) )

15. CPFarhood

CPFarhood Junior Member

That's an awfully shortsighted statement.... The Mac Pro is already quad core and will undoubtedly hit 8 cores in the very near future. SMP support for the VM is absolutely imperative to the successful progression of virtual machines given that multi-core is the direction both Intel and AMD are taking.

16. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

you guys just kicked vmware's butt from here to timbuktu

this is the "break" we've been waiting for. i can now assure 100+ parallels seats will be purchased by one client in the next quarter. the holdup on the decision was whether it was worth doing parallels if it couldn't use the bootcamp volume.

this is truly incredible development. :)

don

17. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Thanks for the tip!
    As soon as I killed the process, I was able to install the Tools and everything is running GREAT!

So, is there a way of having this process killed automatically each time you select the Parallels profile?

ajm

18. jse75

jse75 Bit poster

Like others I'm wondering if it would be possible to transfer my existing Paralells virtual HDD into a Boot Camp parition. I'd like to use Boot Camp, but I've always used only Parallels, and I would not really want to reinstall everything.

Any thoughts on a good way to accomplish this?

Jason

19. DaveB

DaveB Member

Build 3036 downloaded, installed and worked flawlessly - EXCEPT when I attempted to shutdown. Process hungup after preferences were saved. Problem was "solved" by removing McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007 from the VM (Windows XP). Any similarity, solution or work around appreciated.

MUCH thanks to the development team for an outstanding product!

p.s.- Purchased on Day One!

DaveB

20. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

...i'm axiously awaiting an answer to this as well. in the meantime, i'm doing a complete backup of my home directory and /Users/Shared/Parallels (where we store our shared windows image by default).

don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.