Updated - Now activation won't work?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by JDub, Dec 2, 2006.

1. JDub

JDub Member

Hi,

I bought Parallels (build 1940) yesterday from the Apple Store, got it home and installed it. Then I entered the activation key. All worked, no problem. Then the problems started: -

1) Built-in product updater refused to work. I ended up downloading build 1970 manually.
    2) Downloaded updater wouldn't update - I ended up un-installing and then re-installing.
    3) My original activation code now refuses to activate the updated version (build 1970).

I sent an email yesterday, an email today - Just wondered, is there anywhere on this site I can get an updated code? I couldn't see anything in the FAQs...

Regards

J>

2. JDub

JDub Member

I've since tried to re-install and have had some partial success: -

1) Build 1940 updated to build 1970 and retained my activation code.
    2) Now that I've updated to the new beta released yesterday, the code no longer works again. I've installed a trial key in the meantime while hoping support will get back to me...

J>

3. NutKracker

NutKracker Junior Member

Yep, I'm having the same problem. A purchased copy of Parallels Desktop for Mac was upgraded to build 1970 and activation worked fine. However, upgrading to build 3036 fails to activate using the same activation code.

Any ideas anyone....???? I've raised this with support....waiting for an answer.

4. NutKracker

NutKracker Junior Member

*BUMP*

Anyone else having these activation problems???

5. sponge42

sponge42 Bit poster

hello,

i'm having the same problem.
    i had 1970 installed too. installed the beta, and now i have to activate but it doesnt accept my key.

hope there is a solution soon.

sponge42

6. jmizoguchi

jmizoguchi Member

I have been playing around... also I have posted this activation issue but I end up running activation and it took my key just fine..

I'm running two windows xp coming out same key. one never asked for activation. and one is cloned did.. I actviate it.. although actvaition windows graphics never load right but I contuniue to activate and seems works. I have fully shut down and dont' ask my it must went fine

7. JDub

JDub Member

Hmmm, I've since received two replies from support: -

1) Advising me on how to activate my product - Nope. That wasn't the question I asked.
    2) Advising me on how to update my product - Nope. Wrong again.

Is support always this off-target?

I want to know why my activation code is not working with the new beta release. It currently tells me: The activation key cannot be used with the current version of the Parallels Desktop!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  8. kiltergrend

kiltergrend Bit poster

I've the same problem... :(

9. JDub

JDub Member

Non US keys?!?

Okay - It would appear I have an answer after various support mails - Not one I particularly like, but: -

It seems that any boxed product keys are regional to the country of sale and if they aren't US product keys, then they won't work with the latest beta release. To say I feel a little annoyed here is an understatement, when I had the opportunity to buy online. I saw it in an Apple Store in the UK and thought I'd get it there.

I never thought this would be a disadvantage in any way. :confused:

Apparently, support have said that it's perfectly acceptable to use the trial key until it expires - at which point, it will be easy to request and obtain another - and so on during the length of the beta. Having not requested another key yet, I can't see how easy this will be. Why should I have to do this though - What a PITA!! :mad:

There was also something mentioned about support for unreleased products, blah, etc...

Look - If I didn't want cutting edge technology, I certainly wouldn't be running virtualisation software. With this sort of stuff, I need all the cutting edge I can get... :eek:

So, does everyone here have non-US product key, or am I the only one...?

On top of that, do I still get my free year of product updates, seeing as I bought boxed product?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  10. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

Turns out that I also got a UK version via the Swedish Apple Store - my CD key didn't work either.

I can only find the US download on the Parallels website. Does this mean that I will never be able to download the newest version of Parallels Desktop from the website, install it and enter my activation key? Will I always need to install the old version from my CD first, and then use the built-in updater?

I am starting to feel more and more pissed with Parallels. First they seem to refuse all buyers of the boxed version the free one-year upgrade offer, and now this UK/US version number stuff. I start to feel that I maybe should have pirated the app instead...

11. JDub

JDub Member

Alas, that is more or less it - As I understand it, we will only be able to use final release versions - Not beta releases for the US market.

WHAT?!? Is this the case? If so, I'm going to be taking this up with Apple/Parallels management. As it happens I work in the industry and have some Apple contacts - but only if this sorry state of affairs is confirmed.

LOL - I wouldn't, but I know exactly what you mean.

I think some clarification and resolution of the matter should come from Parallels management on the matter. I am not happy about this... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Regards

J>

12. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

http://www.shop.avanquest.com/uk/prod.php?pid=1963

Well, it's not confirmed, but if we assume that vasechka is right in this post, that's what seems to be the case.

But then again, if I look at shop.avantquest.com (the adress on the UK boxed version) and scroll down a bit, It says:

Xmas Special Offer! FREE upgrade protection

* All puchases of Parallels Desktop for Mac made between the 29th November 2006 to the 23rd December 2006 (inclusive) will be eligible for FREE upgrade protection for one year.

This means that if there are any upgrades or new releases of Parallels Desktop within the next year, you will get these free of charge!​

Is this again some kind of "only from avantquest store" offer?

13. JDub

JDub Member

You can buy the boxed version from their store, so I would assume this is the same as boxed versions elsewhere - Thereby bound to the same conditions.

Some official clarification on this would be most helpful. Some suggestions to resolve this: -

1) All boxed version users be re-issued with US codes upon request, to allow full compatibilty with ALL versions, beta or otherwise. Alternatively, beta versions of the product to be allowed to work with ALL keys regardless of region.
    2) All boxed version users that have registered within the promotional period to be confirmed as eligible for the free upgrades for 1 year offer.

That should do it. ;)

14. jalle

jalle Bit poster

I bought my version of PD through the Apple Store here in Norway on Dec 1 and was p¤¤d off when I saw the free upgrades offer on the US site. I promptly wrote an email to avanquest (the UK reseller) and was told that I was not eligible to that offer since they only started it on Dec 8 :)confused: )
    However, when I pointed out that THEIR OWN WEB SITE clearly states Nov 29th as the starting date of their offer, I was given this reply:

" Yes you are entitled to the special offer - please complete the attached form and email/fax back as shown

Apologies for the confusion"

So - looks like us unlucky b**rds are lucky after all.:)
    (No beta 3036 for us though, that really sucks!)

15. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

I thought of mailing the Avanquest support in the beginning of January. After a few weeks of silence, I also managed to get this form mailed to me. So I printed it out, filled it, scanned it and e-mailed it back. And I don't even need to do anything special, the support person said this:

"You won't need to-do anything yourself as the serial number will be noted by Parallels enabling you to download sofwtare uopdates and any software upgrades from within Parallels for a year."

Hm... by the way... "the serial number will be noted by Parallels"? :confused: Does this by any chance mean that I can just DL and install the new 3186 build from their American website? I am off to try it at once!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007