My Bootcamp is now screwed !

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by retrospek, Dec 1, 2006.

1. retrospek

retrospek Junior Member

Okay - so I'm very confused....and frustrated..

I loaded the Parallels Tools onto Bootcamp. But when I run Parallels I don't see anything different and can't see any options for running Bootcamp through Parallels ? Am I missing some instructions or something as I have no idea what is wrong !

I also now have a major problem with WindowsXP on Bootcamp. When I reboot my iMac into Windows it is displaying a screen that says something like select operating system:

- Windows XP
    - Parallels Config

I select Windows XP and then it displays a screen saying 'H/W Profile':

- Profile1
    - Parallels Configuration

However, I can't select either option with my wireless keyboard !! Plus I have no idea why I'm now seeing these options.

I know this is Beta software - but I had NO idea this would mess up my Bootcamp Partition and Windows XP !

Any ideas what the hell is going on ?

Thanks, Mark

2. retrospek

retrospek Junior Member

So am I the only person with a problem with Windows XP under Bootcamp since this upgrade ?

3. STim

STim Bit poster

We will investigate the issue with not selecting Profile 1.

Boot Camp is not screwed, all the data is fine. You just can't select the "Profile 1" option, which is the correct one.

Do you have wired USB keyboard by hand? Any USB keyboard will go. Just connect it, select "Profile 1" - and you'll boot into Boot Camp.

Regarding booting Boot Camp into Parallels - please read our User Guide, it describes the process in detail. Or alternatively you may wait some time till we release next version. We're planning on making Boot Camp integration more seamless.

Best regards,
    Tim

4. retrospek

retrospek Junior Member

I've now found the instructions on how all of this should work (it is in one of the four PDF documents you get with the DMG file).

The problem I've got now is whenever I start Bootcamp WinXP via Parallels I get a Blue Screen..

I think I'm going to give-up on this now until a new version comes out that is more reliable.

5. retrospek

retrospek Junior Member

Thanks Tim, Yep - I've just found the Users Guide and now understand a bit more about how this should work.

I am having another problem now which is that it is Blue Screening when I run WinXP Bootcamp through Parallels. Not sure why...

I think I'm going to wait until the next version. Thanks, Mark

6. william1949

william1949 Bit poster

Me too

I am having the same problem on a new MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo. Trying to boot into bootcamp my keyboard didn't want to work. I was finally able, after booting numerous time, to get the keyboard to work. I managed to get into windows in safe mode. I'm not sure that the install actually worked. There was no "Parallels" in the start-programs. When I looked into the hd I found the Parallels folder - there was a read me, but no "remove tools" program, and I could not remove Parallels tools through the usual route of "add/remove programs" (error message). I was finally able to restore to a point before install - I tried again with the same results. (windows xp pro)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  7. JakePratt

JakePratt Junior Member

Same prob here. Bootcamp works great in parallels but I can't get back in when I boot. Keyboard doesn't appear to work. I might try setting timeouts for a default boot until it gets working.

8. chrislee149

chrislee149 Junior Member

I'm also unable to select either of these options. Sometimes (about one time in ten), I am able to select options.

In addition, I now get a crash with a blue screen after the Windows loading bar under both Boot Camp and Parallels. retrospeek sounds like he/she has the same thing.

I had a similar problem with Boot Camp before using Parallels (I could rarely select startup options and I crashed on start), and it ultimately ended in me wiping my hard drive (I was trying to use three partitions and couldn't use Boot Camp Assistant). But in this case, at least I could use Boot Camp Assistant to restore a single partition if necessary (though that would delete my data and make Parallels useless).

So basically, I'm unable to boot WIndows at all now, and I may have to erase my Windows partition.

9. JakePratt

JakePratt Junior Member

OK, it looks like Parallels replaces the HAL and it doesn't support the macbook keyboards but there is a work around until they fix it.

First I set my boot.ini to have a 10 second time out. After the timeout it selects the Bootcamp HAL.
    Second, I had it select Profile1 after a second 10 second timout

Both of these options are in the System Properties in control panel. The first is under Advanced...Startup Properties and the second is under Hardware...Hardware Profiles. I have to wait 20 seconds but I can get into BootCamp on both sides now.

10. diamondsw

diamondsw Member

Dammit, why didn't I think of that?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/information/bootini.mspx

Of course, all of this would go away if they'd simply support ACPI...

11. chrislee149

Well, seeing as how I can't even boot Windows with Boot Camp, I can't change the startup timeouts, and it wouldn't help, anyway, since it would only lead to another blue screen.

12. alexramos

alexramos Bit poster

Text Editor

You can edit the boot.ini directly with a text editor. You can find the file in your main Windows Partition.

I was able to add a timeout when selecting the "operating system", but not when selecting the hardware profile... anyone care to help?

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkppvs_.exe /hal=halppvs_.dll

13. chrislee149

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of accidentely choosing my WIndows partition as NTFS, and I can't modify and files in it from OS X. And as I said, even if I could change the timeout, it would just lead to a blue screen while loading (the Windows logo and progress bar screen). I'm sometimes able to select the profile choices, and it always just leads to a blue screen and restart.

I think I'll probably have to reinstall Windows. :\

14. DaMacGuy

DaMacGuy Bit poster

Similar situation to william1949. :(

Choice between parallels and windows xp when starting from Boot Camp partition. Can't choose either. I've edited my boot.ini to 5 sec, but haven't tested yet.

Parallels won't let me boot from Boot Camp partition even though I've installed the Boot Camp assistant software in XP (pro, btw). Parallels Desktop tells me it "...can't open disk image Boot Camp ".

It's a nearly virgin install of XP on a fresh Boot Camp partition (only have Apple's drivers and Boot Camp assistant installed on it). I can wipe it and start over, but something of a time waster.

Running a Mac Book Pro, 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD. :cool:

15. DaMacGuy

DaMacGuy Bit poster

Update - I can now choose via my keyboard, which hardware profile to boot from when booting directly into XP.

But Parallels Desktop still won't let me use my Boot Camp partition. :-(

16. JakePratt

JakePratt Junior Member

Figured out something else out. If you hold down a key on the keyboard after selecting the windows partition at startup, the keyboard works to select the startup items.

Now I have a new problem, I seem to have screwed up my wireless networking when booted into bootcamp (real). Anyone else with this problem

17. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

The first rule - RTFM!

ajm

18. mcsenerd

mcsenerd Member

Well...I just uninstalled the Parallel Tools for Boot Camp without issue and now I can boot directly to Boot Camp XP on a FAT32 Partition without a USB keyboard attached. Hopefully the kinks with FAT32 partitions will be worked out soon...until then...I'll be stuck using two different XP installs :(