Boot Camp Problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Alucard1797, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Alucard1797

Alucard1797 Bit poster

I am trying out the new build and seem to be having trouble booting to my Boot Camp drive. I just did a clean install of Xp Pro and have just installed the Apple Boot Camp drivers and Parallels Tools for Boot Camp.

I am following the direction as for settinng up the VW, there is no issue there. When I start VM it asks for my OSX admin password, then unmounts my Boot Camp drive. The WM begins to statup, but stops and says "Error loading operating system".

Booting into Windows works with no problems, so I doubt there is an actual OS issue.

Any help?

BTW: MacPro, 10.4.8, 1GB Ram. I have also set the memory alocation to Manual as other posters have pointed out. My BootCamp is installed on a separate internal SATA drive, could this be the issue?

Thanks

2. srcshelton

srcshelton Bit poster

Windows/Bootcamp not booting

I have a 2Gb MacBook Pro but have the same problem.

The Bootcamp VM starts, but then the boot process stops immediately (presumably at NTLDR) saying that it was unable to identify any Windows partitions to boot from.

This is after installing the Bootcamp utilities onto the native Windows XP installation - although the first time I did this the installer stopped with "Error 1" and any further attempts merely told me that the software was "already installed". Attempting to uninstall the software also ended with "Error 1", and further attempts to reinstall with "aready installed" :(

P.S. Bug report: Parallels will let you create a VM with square-brackets in the name, but will report that the configuration is invalid when attempting to open/start it.

3. sgginc

sgginc Bit poster

I get the message:
    "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp"
    immediately after trying to power on VM.

Any ideas?

Thanks ... Ken

4. Junado

Junado Bit poster

I also have the same issue. The Parallels tools seems to have installed properly, as I get the profile/machine choosers when booting Windows XP from Boot Camp. Still searching for a solution...

I'm running on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, with 2 Gb of RAM

5. troll2

troll2 Bit poster

Same problem for me, I'm running on a Macbook Pro Core Duo 2GHz with 1,5GB ram.

6. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

7. troll2

troll2 Bit poster

8. macguy

macguy Member

I had the same problem until I converted my FAT32 Boot Camp Drive C to NTFS.

There is a good writeup on how to do that at

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

There is also a good writeup on how to possibly avoid at least one additional Windows Activation at

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php#format

I backed up the two wpa files referred to in the article; wrote down the volume id; did the conversion; restored the new wpa files using the backups I made before conversion; reset the volume ID to what it was before the conversion.

After all that, I rebooted into Boot Camp. I did not get asked to re-activate my XP Pro when I booted directly into Boot Camp.

I then booted into the Mac OS and started up Parallels and it booted fine from the Boot Camp partition. However, it did require me to reactivate XP Pro on the Parallels VM.

bill damon
    Salem, VA

9. eddie2341

eddie2341 Bit poster

Missing hal.dll

Hi Guys,

I have installed the latest parallels beta and am trying to use my boot camp winxp in parallels.

As soon as i click the play button it tells it starts and asks what configuration to use i choose parallels and as soon as it happens i get the error missing or corrupt hal.dll.

Thats fine however the file is not missing nor is it corrupt as i have replaced it and can boot into windows fine via boot camp.

Could you offer any light on this matter? Its definately a strange one.

Thanks in advance.
    Eddie

10. Zhou

Zhou Bit poster

Any chance the FAT32 will be supported by Parallels? I'd like to keep it writable from the MacOS.

11. marke

marke Bit poster

Any chance for the answer?
    It's easy to convert it to NTFS, but yunable to convert back...
    Devs?

12. chucker

chucker Junior Member

Parallels have already stated that FAT32 problems are a bug, not a deliberate lack of support. So, it should eventually work.

13. somefool

somefool Bit poster

I downloaded the new build in the hope of trying the Boot Camp booting feature (and of course coherence) but it sounds like Im also one of those that gets the error message due to my Windows partition being FAT32.

I hope you guys can get a fix for this soon so I can download a demo which will work with my FAT32 and Boot Camp and tempt me into buying Parallels.

Next stage - full screen hardware rendered 3D surely?

MacBook Pro 1.83

14. Slicedbread

Slicedbread Bit poster

is anyone else having problems booting into windows via bootcamp, after using the bootcamp drive as an image in parallels?

when I cold boot and hold down the option key and choose the bootcamp partition, my computer freezes at the screen where you choose between regular windows and the parallels configuration.

however running this partition in parallels is fine, and always boots up normally after selecting the parallels config/profile.

15. chucker

chucker Junior Member

Yes, several people have reported this. As far as I understand it, it's not so much "freezing" as it is a hardware recognition problem; it doesn't recognize your USB keyboard properly, so you can't select anything.

16. mikechadwick

mikechadwick Member

Uninstall Parallels for Bootcamp. How?

I loaded parallels for bootcamp onto my bootcamp partition yesterday. i tried to get into bootcamp this morning and it now goes in to a rebooting cycle. I can get in using safe mode but that's all. i use a macpro and i want to access windows through bootcamp directly. I can't access through Parallels even though I've followed all the instructions.
    Help! how do i uninstall parallels for Bootcamp? As I can't get into my Bootcamp setup and I can 't uninstall in Safe Mode what do I do? :mad:
    thanks
    Mike

17. ivc

ivc Bit poster

If you have problems with booting using the Boot Camp partition natively, try to set the Timeout in boot.ini to 5 (seconds) instead of -1. I found that if it's -1 the bootloader is confused and you can't use your keyboard to select Windows XP or Parallels Configuration.

Now I can use the Boot Camp partition using both Parallels and Boot Camp natively. You only need to make sure that you select Parallels Configuration before the timeout counts down when booting via Parallels.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  18. mikechadwick

mikechadwick Member

19. chucker

chucker Junior Member

20. Slicedbread

Slicedbread Bit poster

that gives me a problem. On a C2D Macbook Pro, and I dont have any other usb input devices handy. the laptop keyboard is unresponsive in the current version.

edit: changing the boot.ini timeout to 5s worked for me. it just times out (whilst the keyboard is inactive) and boots into the default config (which i set as the bootcamp setting).

however the profile chooser defaults to 60s timeout. In System Properties\hardware\hardware profiles, you can change the profiles timeout to be shorter as well.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006