Opinion: The new dock updating icon is not needed

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BenInBlack, Dec 1, 2006.

1. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Parallels team: Please don't take this wrong

The new Icon showing a little version of the clutter i see on the main screen is just a waste of processor time.

It looks cool but it is so small to tell what is going on and I have seen it effect speed when im working with big image files.

Can you please go back to simple Infinty with small win or penguin.

2. j-active

j-active Member

Agree!

I think you should be able to enable or disable this feature similar to the activity monitor app in OS X.

3. mkummer

mkummer Member

Your opinion is perhaps not a common one: I like it (as I do the animation of the hour glass). Mac is more than PC - its fun, too.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

His opinion may be more common than you think. Eye candy is at the absolute bottom of my wish list. Functionality and stability come first by a VERY wide margin. I'm happiest when Mac looks and works like Mac and Windows looks and works like Windows. They are different, and the platform partisans who keep insisting their favorite GUI or OS is better, while entitled to their view, really frost me when they tell me I should share it.

I don't need need or want "integration". I don't want Windows coerced into looking like a Mac. And I especially don't want the sandbox aspect of virtualization compromised in ANY way to appease platform partisans.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Joem,

Our goal is to achieve visual integration and at the same time retain hidden sandbox for guest OS and its applications. In my opinion it will bring a lot of usability advantages and at the same time will keep stability and isolation. Do you agree with that?

As for live screenshot icon - I totally agree - there should be a possibility to switch it off. As well as animation effects.

BTW: Live screenshot is not only fancy useless thing. When working with 2 and more VMs it helps you to choose appropriate VM using Cmd-Tab switching.

6. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Thanks Andrew.

As always, I learn something new (cmd-tab).

I guess i could see it useful if your not in coherence mode.

Anyway, yes the ability to turn off would be great. and thanks for the reply!

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

Wow, that was a quick response!

I'm a "big tent" sort of person, and I'm happy to have features implemented that I don't want as long as I can turn them off. I agree that satisfying as many potential users as possible is a good thing as long as stability and isolation aren't compromised. I just wish that more priority were given to making the guest behave exactly as it would on the bare hardware (my priority). USB passthrough, not cutting off graphs in Access, and the like have a MUCH higher priority with me.

I need to be able to TRUST software running on the VM to behave as it will on real hardware. To the extent I can't, I need to test on real hardware. Also, it's hard to recommend the Mac / VM combination if software runs differently than it does on real hardware, so this is my absolute first priority, and the eye candy comes below accurate emulation on my priority list.

Given infinite resources, I'd do both, but if resources are limited (real world) functionality and stability come first with me.

8. arnoud

arnoud Junior Member

Maybe another idea for the icon, could it be a nice touch to have the dock icon change to the current frontmost Windows app with a small Parallels-logo in it?

But yes, please make things like this optional.