Desktop window goes oversize

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mixalis, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Mixalis

Mixalis Bit poster

After running Desktop for Mac with Windows XP without problem for many days, I suddenly discovered that the Parallels window had gone oversize--almost full-screen but with the bottom toolbar (and resizing corner) below the bottom of the MacBook Pro screen. I can select full-screen mode, but when I return to the window there is no way I can see to resize the window. There's probably an easy solution to this and I would appreciate any guidance.

2. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Lower your screen resolution in XP

The solution is to make your screen resolution in XP one a two ticks lower than the resolution in OS X. That way when you change the focus from XP to OS X, the window is resized to fit within the OS X screen.

It would be nice if Parallels Virtual Machines were always placed on a seperate desktop and they just transitioned between them when you changed focus, but then you couldn't just drag and drop stuff from one environment to the other.

3. Mixalis

Mixalis Bit poster

Hi thanks. I had tried to do what you suggest without success, but now I've cracked it. The problem was that I was only able to access the Start menu in full-screen mode (because Start was off the Mac screen in windowed mode and I couldn't access Control Panel). When I changed the screen size while in full-screen mode the setting always reverted to the maximum, same as the Mac screen, when I reverted to windowed mode. After your confirmation that the screen size was the problem, I simply placed My Computer on the desktop (in full-screen mode), then reverted to the window and was able to change the screen appearance. It seems that if this is done while in the window mode the setting is retained. Thanks for your help. Michael

4. David Boulder

David Boulder Bit poster

Mixalis, thanks

That did the trick for me. My screen got resized this morning when making the swtich to full screen, and came back with high resolution in windowed mode. Now it is back to normal.

5. Jancw

Jancw Bit poster

Thanks! I've been trying to figure this one out all day!

6. ircoha

ircoha Bit poster

worked for me also

Thanks quys, really all u need is the desktop icon as opposed to my computer on the desk top

7. NeptuneNancy

NeptuneNancy Bit poster

I had the same problem Mixalis described. I was able to get the virtual machine window smaller by doing the same things as Mixalis (moved My Computer to the Desktop and played with various resolutions), but the smaller Window is still much larger than before. (The window went supersized earlier today when I was working in Windows XP and got a message that Parallels suddenly had to close, taking everything with it. When I figured out how to get my VM running again and get Windows XP running again, the window had gone "super sized.")

When I shut down Windows XP and the stop the VM, I have the small Property Page window, just the size I want when I'm working in Mac OS. Before today's problem, when I went from full view back, my WIndows XP window was the same size as my Property View window was and still is.

I've played with various resolutions, and none gives me the small window I'm looking for.

Anyone have an idea what I might have done wrong after my Parallels "crash" this morning, and how I get my small window back? Thanks~