Build 3036 and the Compressor tool

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MartyMcr, Dec 2, 2006.

1. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

First of all, wanted to say how impressed I am with this product - it just gets better and better!

I tried to run the compressor tool with an 8GB expanding disk VM running XP. It generates the temporary files Andrew has mentioned, then when it gets to the bit where the screen dims, the VM just hangs and even after leaving it for several hours (on an iMac 20" Core 2 Duo) nothing happens.

Selecting 'Cancel Compressor' from the menu causes the application to quit suddenly. The VM can be started again and is unchanged.

I've not got drive or folder compression on, so there appears to be a bug?

Thought it was worth created a separate topic as the main release one is getting very long!

Thanks

2. tangential

tangential Member

I've encountered the same problem, except that my XP session is on a dimmed login screen, so I can't get any response to cancel the compressor. Mine is also an 8 gig expanding disk running XP. It has been running for about 4 hrs.

Any suggestion on the safest way to terminate this?:confused: (Luckily this is a cloned copy of another VM.:) )

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  3. tangential

tangential Member

More information. I had tried cancelling the compressor from the Parallels menu and locked up my mac.

After a forced power down and reboot everything came up fine. This was my first spurious reboot in 4 or 5 months.

After the restart of the mac I powered up the VM I had been compressing. It started OK. The really interesting fact is the change in size of the volume.

Before running the compressor, the vm looked like this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 jrh jrh 6670099456 Dec 2 10:03 winxp.hdd

After aborting the compressor (and restarting the box) the vm looked like this:

-rw-r--r-- 1 jrh jrh 7724064256 Dec 2 16:57 winxp.hdd

A net increase in size of about 1.1 gig??????

I am looking for advice on how to deal with this...

Thanks

4. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

Cancelling

Have you tried cancelling from the menu's in Parallels?

Actions -> Cancel Parallels Compressor

I was also able to just stop the virtual machine, but then had to manually delete the 2GB files in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\UserName

5. tangential

tangential Member

I did. I chose the cancel option and waited about 10 minutes for it to stop. It just remained a spinning beachball.

Then the mac itself locked up and I rebooted it.

I may not have understood your comment on Documents and Settings. I looked in that directory in the VM and didn't see any files to remove. It only contained dat files for the registry and the standard subdirectories that a windows user home directory has.

I am still concerned that this VM grew so much larger during the compressor phase. I suppose that may be part of the optimization process, but now I have a much larger volume and I am hesitant to attempt compressing it again.

Some comment from Parallels folks on how to successfully compress a volume in this release would be appreciated.

6. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

I suspect the feature isn't working in this release, but confirmation from Parallels or other users would be good.

7. mcsenerd

mcsenerd Member

Well...I'd just like to chime in that this is still broken in the 3038 release as well.

8. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

Being fixed?

Andrew / Parallels team - are you aware of this issue - is there a fix in development?

Thanks

9. HFTobeason

HFTobeason Bit poster

I'm having the same issue. Screen dims as the progress bar reaches the end. Then - nothing. At that point, a click on the green "Power On" button in the Parallels window crashes Parallels.