Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaneblyth

shaneblyth Member

Someone asked about Zune software

Someone asked about Zune software incomptibilities well
    did you know someione is working on some software to run the Zune on OSX
    http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/
    I used this software with a Zen Micro before I got my iPod so keep checking at the link I gave you and I am pretty sure they will have it running soon

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. bcr914

bcr914 Bit poster

ToolBar

The "pause" icon in the old version of Parallels suspended the virtual machine ... now it just pauses and you need to go to ACTION to suspend the virtual machine. It would be nice to have an icon on the tool bar to suspend.

3. AkitaOnRails

AkitaOnRails Bit poster

You missed the point here: I am NOT trying to use Macdrive THROUGH Parallels. I use Macdrive when I boot NATIVELY through BOOTCAMP. Now, it seems that the Parallels Tools just brake out the Macdrive installation. I tried reinstalling Macdrive with no success. I am about to uninstall Parallels Tools and drop using Parallels until this issue is resolved because I depend on accessing the files at my Mac partition when I am running natively at Windows. Otherwise it just seems I am sitting at a Windows notebook with sub-optimal partition size and without any of my files. Again: I am not speaking of running Macdrive inside Parallels, it's just the Parallels tools that broke Macdrive at Boocamp natively.

4. AkitaOnRails

AkitaOnRails Bit poster

Bootcamp + Macdrive

Ok, the way I see it, Parallels installs a few things to startup at my Windows.
    C:\program files\parallels\parallels tools\
    - parallelstoolscenter.exe
    - prlwindowservice.exe
    - prltoolsservice.exe

C:\windows\system32\drivers
    - pcitg.sys
    - prleth.sys
    - prlvideo.sys
    - ptilink.sys

None of the programs above seems to start up at the normal bootcamp profile. So the usual suspects are the drivers. One of this drivers are overriding something at Macdrive. As both use underground techniques it is not difficult that the Parallels Drivers are conflicting with MediaFour Drivers.

I ran Rootkit Revealer to see if anything was trying to run as a rootkit, but it was negative. Event Viewer also doesn't render a clue about this. To Macdrive it is as the Mac Partition suddenly disappeared.

5. shaneblyth

shaneblyth Member

everything cool on the Macmini now alls i need is decent USB and audio support

Wow and double Wow works perfect on my Mac Mini thanks guy
    I Love the new features.
    The only thing I am waiting on (well my friend more than me) is better USB support and better audio support so I can use other sound cards attached to USB like USB headsets
    I have a friend who has to run a special Viop system and headset in Audtralia and it only runs in XP
    and it evidently wont work with the current USB setup
    :D :D

6. 2far

2far Bit poster

This might be because of the shadow drops with transparency. Transparency can't be handled, the window seems to be the size of what you expect plus the transparent shadow attached to it.

7. wynlyndd

wynlyndd Bit poster

Mac Pro : seems to fail at mup.sys

Fairly standard mac pro

2.66Ghz 3GB RAM nvidia 7300

Basic boot camp scenario : 20GB NTFS partition on main drive

Yes, I read instructions and installed the Parallels tools for Boot Camp prior to installing this latest beta.

Backed up my previous XP VM. Installed beta. Ran XP VM. Seems fine.

Attempted to run a Boot Camp'ed VM (just XP nothing fancy like Vista). Cool it is using profiles to have multiple hardware for one XP activation. Nice touch. always forget about hardware profiles in windows. Oops. BSOD after selecting Parallels profile.

Restart image, this time selecting Safe mode to see where fails : mup.sys (or the next file, since the BSOD is so fast, mup.sys is last thing I see).

Read thread, thought I saw some one mention not letting memory managment be automatic. Tried manual. No luck.

Any ideas? Also, is there an official email address, I should be sending bug reports?

(also, is it me or does the mac pro often seem to have issues with parallels)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  8. gkantz

gkantz Junior Member

Booting into Boot Camp and Reactivation issues

Still having the problem when I boot directly into Boot Camp where the Configuration Screen will not work on my MacBook Pro. However I found an intersting workaround - plug and external Apple USB Keyboard in and I can take control of it. This may only be a bug limited to MacBook Pros or all Apple intel laptops

A VERY serious problem exists where one switches back and forth between Boot Camp in native mode or under Parallels. Windows always asks to reactivate because of major changes to the hardware when under one mode or the other. This is a royal problem as well. If Parallels is going to give the user the choice of going native or virtual, this MUST be fixed.

9. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

observations

i had some issues loading the keyboard driver within parallels when i launched the bootcamp environment within parallels the first time. dialog boxes threw modal dialog boxes behind the original dialog box - happened a few times with the keyboard driver. after a couple reboots (and dealing with unresponsive apple keyboard/mouse in osx), things have appeared to settle down. using shift-control-alt lets me grab mouse (where command-tab throws up start menu...as should be expected).

not able to get shared folders running yet though.

don

10. zoobazz

zoobazz Junior Member

OMFG .... coherency is slick stuff! Forget about all the codeweavers and other hacks as this will actually work.

Next test.. try the bootcamp. But the reactivation scenario mentioned seems scary. Visual Studio SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) is a freakin' resource pig.. which would require me to move to BootCamp boot for heavy lifting.

Nice work guys.. very nice work!

11. koreth

koreth Junior Member

Fix for stretched fonts on Cinema Display

For those who are having trouble with stretched windows, try the above. On the 30" display, you have to set the color depth to 16 bits; once you do, your Windows windows will look normal in Coherence mode instead of all stretched out. You don't need to play around with the resolution settings on the Windows side (I tried that initially.)

12. PROSPEROUS

PROSPEROUS Bit poster

Great update ever. Can now cut and paste double-byte letters properly.

However, I have one request.

Can you make it possible to retain window settings of "Fit Window"?

Regards,

13. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

it's really not a big deal. i called the phone number in the re-activation dialog box. got someone in india. i read off the numbers on the screen...she gave me new numbers. bam! done!

(total time to get activated - about 10min)

don

14. koreth

koreth Junior Member

Palm sync not working

Syncing my Treo 650 over USB works fine under the official release, but not with the new beta. I hit the sync button and hear the Windows "bu-deep" sound, so I know Windows is noticing the new USB device, but the Palm hotsync manager app never fires up.

Other than that, and having to set the color depth to use it on a large display, the new beta is working great for me. Coherence mode is a pretty jaw-dropping demo to show people.

15. justadam28

justadam28 Bit poster

So i'm an iggit

Why can't I seem to get coherence working? Can someone post an dummys step by step guide for me? When I click the coherence button nothing happens, nada, zip zilch.

16. sfbayrealtor

sfbayrealtor Bit poster

Use Build 3036 for everything but Bootcamp access (yes/no)?

Hi all,
    Sounds like all of the new features work pretty well, except for the bootcamp within parallels issues.

I am TOTALLY sold on Parallels, especially since build 1970. Its just been rock-solid for me. However, I don't want to risk corrupting data on my bootcamp partition, simply to access it via Parallels. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to access bootcamp within parallels...but it sounds like we'll have to wait until the next revision.

I'm sure the parallels development team is getting plenty of constructive feedback...oh, in just the past 24 hours since it's release ;)

That being said, is everyone's data staying safe when using 3036, as long as bootcamp access featured is not accessed?

Thanks in advance,

17. shaneblyth

shaneblyth Member

i just installed on my macmini and when windows booted i installed the paralleles tools rebooted and then i choose ciherency from the menu at the top.. thats it nothing else to setup and it is amazing.. it looks like nothing has happened except you have a windows task bar back on your OSX desktop and you run windows apps from there.. i have dragged my windows taskbar to the left side of screen and osx dock is on the right side

18. justadam28

justadam28 Bit poster

Got it had to reinstall Tools all set and very very cool

19. shaneblyth

shaneblyth Member

your not wrong there pretty amazing.. it almost makes me want to use Windows !

20. sabotage

sabotage Bit poster

[​IMG]

For anyone receiving this error, please see this thread:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=30449
    This error seems to relate to the Tools install quiting during installation.
    Hopefully the mods will see it any come up with a solutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.