After Beta3: Master Wish List

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by ajfuchs, Apr 15, 2006.

1. ajfuchs

ajfuchs Bit poster

- Fix the "coming out of sleep mode" parallels VM freeze / need reboot problem
    - Ability to configure multiple network adapters | Wired and wireless so that VM does not need to be rebooted to switch wired/wireless setup
    - Full screen (without a doubt)
    - Ability to connect USB devices like USB Hard Drive recognition
    - Sound capability
    - More reliable recognition of CD/ROM and other devices
    - Better video performance (Mac Book Pro here) still jerky even with Additions installed

Longer term (key to long term success)

- Ability to attach a single VM OS application to dock in order to allow in-OSXMac one-click execution of individual VM OS app. Said another way, ability to have an OSX alias or dock attachment which automatically starts up VM and executes individual application, perhaps even in windowed mode
    - Ability to have OSX recognize VM OS executables (like exe, com files in WXP) in order to when user double clicks on such exe, com files, VM OS starts up and exe, com is executed in VM HDD image VM session. This would allow a user to insert a WXP app install disc (like Outlook install disc) and either through auto-run or simple click install the app automatically inside VM (autoplay -> dialog box "do you want to install this to VM" -> VM starts -> install routine starts

Smaller
    - Collapse/Hide top windows bar (to maximize screen in windowed mode)

2. kenzo-san

kenzo-san Bit poster

CD Burning would rock my world!

3. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Do you have reference for how to accoplish this? Is there an open access to the ability to manipulate OSX to do this?

4. ajfuchs

ajfuchs Bit poster

1) Of course XP can do this, but in Parallels, there is only one virtual network adapter and for the moment the VM profile has to - a priori - be setup for either wireless or wired. no ability to change inside XP (only virtual network adapter) and no way to change VM profile without closing session. Suprised anyone who has used P would ask about that.

2) what are you talking about? full screen is not yet in beta releases.
    that's running VM window in full screen

3) connecting anything to USB and having it be recognized in VM XP session. like a hard drive.

4) sounds is provisioned but stutters. developers know about it. read version notes.

as for the rest of the comments, i think all of us happily stay away from what you clearly have recently had to drink, smoke or ingest...
    let's keep the responses to the serious useful kind, shall we.

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

Commented wish list

As long as we're wishing, I'll expand on a couple of these...

Making printing work seamlessly when drivers are unavailable for the guest OS by emulating a handful of specific printers might be opening Pandora's box but would be nice. Making network printers work might already happen -- I haven't tried it yet since I'm waiting for MacBook delivery, but is definitely needed.

One more thing: Allowing the Mac OS disk(s) to appear as additional disks to the guest OS (as VPC does) allowing XP (for example) to access the Mac startup disk as if it were a windows disk would make my life a whole lot easier. If VPC can do it, Parallels can do it, right?

FWIW, I can't wait to see the next release with (hopefully) USB passthrough working.

We do live in exciting times, don't we? :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  6. Richard Hunter

Richard Hunter Member

fix the multiple kernal panics, spontaneous reboots, and horrific sound support. Dang.

7. mike3k

mike3k Member

Fix the kernel panic in com.parallels.kext.Pvsnet. I had three of them today on my iMac.

8. Bill McCumber

Bill McCumber Junior Member

I had 3 or 4 today as well... I think it is when more serious work is going on...

For instance... I use a PeeCee to hang 4 USB printers off of in our office.

I enable windows-printer-sharing to share the printers amongst 5 PCs and 3 Macs.

However, when I have Parallels loaded, and try to Print from the Mac to the PeeCee printer... only when Parallels is loaded, I will get Panics.

Strange Days of Uncle Jack, indeed!

9. constant

constant Forum Maven

Bill MeCucumber,

Who is Uncle Jack?