Problems downgrading. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Arcus, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Arcus

Arcus Bit poster

Hello. Tried the beta. I know I know. Its a beta.

Unfortunately XP wanted to register again when booting the boot camp partition. Microsoft wont issue a new reg code. Ive exausted my registers. IMHO there should be a warning about this.Yes I installed Paralleles tools for boot camp. Unless Im not understanding something about the process to get boot camp parition going, this is not a problem withe the beta but a combination of MS's restrictive registration practices and the way Parallels changes things.

Anyway, I downgraded as per the instructions and my video drives in full screen are a bit hosed. Is anyone else having similar problems? If so how did you solve it, short of a re-install.

2. Arcus

Arcus Bit poster

Ok, let me be more specific. Does using the beta on an existing VM change something or break something in the image that will cause problems when downgrading back to 1970.

When I downgraded I just deleted the Parallels folder in applications. Is there anything else I should have cleard from my system before insatlling 1970 again?

Thanks

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

Parallels DMG contains Uninstaller program. This is the only supported way of uninstalling Parallels. After deleting Parallels folder manually you're on your own.
    What you should do:
    1. Install 3036 again.
    2. Open your XP VM and uninstall Parallels Tools.
    3. Uninstall 3036.
    4. Reboot your Mac.
    5. Install 1970.
    6. Install Parallels Tools in XP.

4. Arcus

Arcus Bit poster

Hmm...I looked for an uninstaller. I would have expected it to be in the Parallels application folder like most software. Odd that you would put the uninstaller in the DMG since a large number of people delete this once installed.

If I ever said that to a customer I'd be fired. Considering you didnt follow normal convention and put the uninstaller in an obvious and intuitive place, its really nice to know that i spent my money on a product where "Im on my own".

I read the post from one of your team. He said "remove parallels to downgrade" with no further information or details. He didnt say run the uninstaller. Here didnt use the word uninstall at all. Considering a large portion of Mac software can be removed by simply deleting the folder I think it would have made sense for him to be more specific if it was going to be such an issue.I didnt see an uninstaller in the app folder and I followed his advice, I removed it. So now Im on my own. Lovely.

So im left with a semi hosed image and a seocnd license of Windows XP that is useless unless I can explain to MS what happened. You guys really should have warend people that would have to re register XP. Yea yea,its beta. Data loss I can deal with but losing a legit license because of you lack of info is terrrible. Look around at the boards and the net. Im not the only one with this issue.

Now Im "On my own?" Nice support. I was upset earlier. Now with your attitute Im pissed.

Ill never recommend parallels again. If I could my return my copies I would.

5. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

Perhaps "own your own" isn't the best advice...

However, it is not convention to place an uninstaller with the application on the Macintosh Platform. The only application I can think of off the top of my head that includes an uninstaller with the installation of the app is Adobe CS 2.

It is standard practice to include the uninstaller on the CD (or DMG for downloaded products).

Further, you when you installed a Beta product, you should not have expect release-quality support. The whole point of a Beta is that it is not known to be stable. Betas are always "use at your own risk."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  6. barryw

barryw Member

Open the 3036 dmg file that you downloaded - there is an uninstall program in there.

7. smax013

smax013 Junior Member

Dumb question about doing this method...will I need to enter in the Parallels activation/serial key code again after uninstalling Build 3036? Or does it somehow "retain" that I have an active license code even if I have uninstalled Parallels? Just trying to plan ahead so that I will know what I need to complete the process.

Thanks

8. miker51

miker51 Member

Not a dumb question at all. I believe that if you use the uninstaller, there is no need to re-enter your serial # (at least I haven't had to).

If you manually delete all things Parallels, you may delete the file that contains your serial #, and have to re-enter it.

9. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

That is correct. Uninstalling Parallels (like most apps on Mac OS) doesn't remove the preference files or other user-volatile items.

As of 1970, it was safe to completely uninstall parallels. You won't lose your registration, your basic app preferences, or your virtual machines. In fact, I always uninstall the previous version of parallels and reboot before installing a new beta or release build. I haven't yet uninstalled 3036, so i can't guarantee the same still holds. I doubt they'd change that though.