Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

are you using "custom"?

2. thegdog

thegdog Bit poster

No. I but I got the same error.

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.4.8, 1.5 GB of RAM.

Would love to know what to do to fix it.

I also had problems installing the Parallels Tools for BootCamp. At first it wouldn't run, giving an error that it couldn't run something. Then it finally did run, but then just ended. There was no completed message and I don't see a Parallels folder in the Program Files folder. So not sure if Parallels Tools are even installed.

3. thegdog

thegdog Bit poster

I get the same error but I am not using Windows XP Corporate. I am using a retail version of Windows XP Professional SP2.

4. bgraff

bgraff Junior Member

Novice question

I have only used/owned a Mac for about a week, and paralles has made that possible. I started using boot camp, but quickly moved to parallels. Can someone tell me the advantage to using boot camp with paralles, instead of using parallels only to run XP?

5. thegdog

thegdog Bit poster

Yup, same here.

6. MacManux

MacManux Bit poster

That's easy (same happened here): just remove the Parallels icon from the doc, and drag it into the doc again (from /Applications/Parallels). That's it.

7. Kai

Kai Bit poster

My mouse drift solution

My mouse also drifted to the right bottom screen corner after activating the coherence mode. The solution was to enable full hardware acceleration in the extended monitor settings in windows xp. I decreased the acceleration level in the past for another parallels beta and forgot this setting.

[​IMG]
    The image shows a german xp version.

8. oszillo

oszillo Bit poster

Yes, as I said, in all dialogs I can't choose "Use Boot Camp".

9. Hanebambel

Hanebambel Bit poster

same problem here...

10. topshot

topshot Bit poster

my 2 cents worth

Have installed this beta and have to say that it is an impressive set of updates. Definately some key features have been added that we have all been shouting about.

Now for the fine tuning as far as I see with regards to coherency.

In VirtualPC from Micrsoft, they had a feature that added the windows Start menu as a Dock icon. Clicking this icon brought up the start menu right in place. This should be an easy feature to add.

Finally, a feature that creates a parallel dock icon for each windows app that is running would be good. VritualPC also had this feature I believe.

With these two key features, you could automatically hide the windows start bar and it really would add a level of integration between the mac that makes it that more seemless between the two OS's. Don't forget to remap the windows ALT+TAB key to the Macs CMD+TAB. That way we see even less of that ugly windows.

A little cool addon would be a 'make windows apps look like mac apps' that changes the windows theme when in coherence mode!!! Just a thought.

Everything else are just minor bugs in my eyes.

Great work guys! Top stuff. Passion truely is the source of invention.

11. chucker

chucker Junior Member

…and here. I have a Windows Vista NTFS partition through Boot Camp, and a Windows XP NTFS image in Parallels from which I'd like to access it. My Parallels Tools are up-to-date. The drive does not appear in My Computer, nor in Computer Management. (If I create a new image, it is detected as "new hardware" upon next reboot.)

I also tried installing the Boot Camp tools, but figured those are only applicable if you want to *boot* off that partition, which turned out to be the case.

Has anyone gotten this to work? That is, booting off an image, but being able to access (read/write) a native NTFS partition?

P.S.: A hugely impressive update. The drag&drop works great and fast. The coherence mode obviously has some display glitches at this point, as it doesn't use composition; I suppose this can't really be addressed until 3D acceleration support comes along; other than that, coherence is terrific. Once I get NTFS read/write support working for me, I can share a lot of stuff between Parallels and Boot Camp, thus saving several Gigabytes of space :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  12. sheep

sheep Bit poster

"Open with..." with Parallels application

Hello guys

I had this on my mind for quite some time but the stunning new coherence mode finally "forces" me to bring this in here becauses this would be ever more useful now:

Would it be possible to implement a feature to open files inside OS X - occasionally or by default - with an application installed inside a Parallels VM (using the "Open with"..." feature of the Finder)?

Example: I would love to (always) open MS Office files with MS Office 2003 - now, I have to launch Explorer and open the file from there. Being able to open files directly from the Finder instead would really make me smile at my Mac all day long :).

Thanks for listening and please keep up the great work!

13. CMSimon

CMSimon Bit poster

Problem with Coherence

Hello all,

I have a problem with coherence. Indeed, i've just installed the last build, the last parallels tools, i have Windows XP SP2 Corporate but when i click on the coherence icon, nothin appens.

Up to you, what should I do ?

Thanks,
    Simon

14. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Bit poster

yep, same here ...

15. d0csp33d

d0csp33d Bit poster

So that means I can start windows from Parallels and run games and everything, since it uses bootcamp?

16. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

Okay, but *I* don't have an issue with remembering that 1970 is the current release and 3036 is a beta. Clicking "About Parallels Desktop" shows me that I'm running Build 3036 Beta (November 30, 2006). That's good enough for me.

17. chucker

chucker Junior Member

No. For 3D acceleration, you'll still need to dual-boot.

What this means is merely that you can share one and the same Windows XP installation between Parallels and Boot Camp, thus saving you a lot of space.

18. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

You still can't run games that require 3D from Parallels, as it doesn't directly access the video card.

19. chucker

chucker Junior Member

Yes, but it would be far preferable if they could have a more user-friendly numbering scheme, such as calling this one 2.5b1. It's a bit of a nitpick, but it's a valid one. Build numbers are for developers. Users shouldn't have to remember them, nor to look them up. You can easily remember that:
    1) the original final release, back in spring, was 2.1.
    2) the updates were betas of 2.2; the second final release (adding support for Core 2 Duo Macs and lots of other stuff) were 2.2.
    3) the release coming up now, bringing Coherence, Boot Camp partition support, etc., will be 2.5.
    4) the release bringing USB 2.0 support, 3D acceleration, etc., will apparently be 3.0.

Those numbers exist, so it's baffling why the team doesn't communicate them that way.

20. pmfine

pmfine Bit poster

How to change Memory setting if locked up?

I have the Mac Pro- beach ball problem too so how do you get to set the memory manually if the machine is locked up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.