Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slicedbread

Slicedbread Bit poster

I'm having problems loading windows xp thru bootcamp.

whenever I cold boot and hold down the option button, the screen where i choose which version of windows to load (config 1 or parallels), the computer hangs. no keyboard response and I must reboot the computer. the only reliable way of getting into bootcamp I have found is that I must boot into OS X, and then choose System Prefs \ Startup Disk \ Choose the win XP partition and press the restart button.

any ideas?

2. Portdogmc

Portdogmc Bit poster

i need help with coherancy. I'm running xp sp2 on my macbook. When i click coherence view on the parallels taskbar or under the menu bar, it does nothing. i followed these instructioned with no prevail:

am i supposed to get a check-mark next to coherence mode in the menu bar? nothing happens when i try to use it :(

3. reimic

reimic Bit poster

Have someone solved the problem with the windows activation? In Bootcamp it works perfect but in parallels not. I have only three days for activation. :) THANKS for helping!!

4. chucker

chucker Junior Member

Are your Parallels Tools up-to-date?

5. Portdogmc

Portdogmc Bit poster

prolly not. ill try removing parallels tools and installing it now.. thanks

6. Portdogmc

Portdogmc Bit poster

cool now it works. but when i go back to os view, i have no mouse pointer control!? all the mouse does is mouse diagnol down and right. if i dont move the trackpad, then it stops going down and right. but whenever i move the mouse, it moves down right.. ahhh so annoying. to get it to work again i must shut down the vm and turn it back on

7. chucker

chucker Junior Member

Known problem. Try this solution.

8. pkropf

pkropf Bit poster

Too Sweet!

The Coherence feature is just too sweet. Very nice.

I noticed one bug. When running on a dual headed system with the Parallels window on the second display, selecting the View -> Property Sheet doesn't show the VM's property sheet. It just shows the VM window again. Move the Parallels windows to the primary display and everything works as expected.

- Peter

9. Portdogmc

Portdogmc Bit poster

on that solution, how do i get to those windows where i chnge those settings? thanks so much

10. chucker

chucker Junior Member

1) Control Panel (in Start Menu, Start -> Control Panel; in Classic Start Menu, Start -> Settings -> Control Panel)
    2) Display (should give you the first window)
    3) Advanced tab (is the tab depicted in the first window).
    4) click the button as shown in the first screenshot, below the colors. You should get to the second window now.
    5) go through the tabs until you find one that looks like the one in the second screenshot. Turn the hardware acceleration slider all the way up.
    6) Click OK in both windows. You may have to reboot.

11. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Thanks - that's a really cool feature.

D

12. sseligson

sseligson Member

a few questions

I just upgraded to a macbook pro.

I had a mcbook. right now i am not using boot camp but I am using Parallels.

I now want to use boot camp so I only need one installed version of windows.

Is the best thing to do, delete my parallels program and start from scratch using boot camp, the install the new build of paralels?

I can't salvage my existing parallels installation right?

if the above is correct, how do I uninstall the old parallels and windows?

If I recall the old version on parallels let me dynamically resize the size of the windows hard drive. If I do boot camp, does this feature not work and am I locked into the size I parition the drive to with boot camp?

Which should I use NTSC of FAT32? If NTSC, do I have compatibilty issues with files?

13. diamondsw

diamondsw Member

Given the confusion in this very forum - where the build has been variously reported as 3060, 3080, and an assortment of other numbers - you would think the problem is self-evident. Heck, the correct number is in the thread title, and numerous people STILL get it wrong.

Anyway, back to more interesting reports, which largely boil down to:
    • Bravo! Awesome! Excellent work!
    • Using Boot Camp doesn't work for me at all (grayed out).
    • Using Boot Camp with a wireless keyboard causes problems selecting hardware profiles.
    • Using Boot Camp causes constant reactivations.
    • Coherence is neat, but has some minor graphical bugs.
    • If we use Boot Camp in Parallels, does it gain all of the features of Boot Camp? (No.)
    • Vista doesn't work in Coherence.
    • Vista doesn't work from former Boot Camp disks.

A separate "Boot Camp" thread with some FAQs up top would clear things up a lot.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  14. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

Palm HotSync Doesn't work in new beta

I have exactly the same behavior. Palm HotSync worked in previous builds, but not 3036,

15. matss

matss Bit poster

Error installing Parallels tools for boot camp

I downloaded the parallels tools for boot camp and tried to install it but the installer stopped with an error message "error code 1 (or -1?)". Anyone seen this or know how to get passed it?

/Mats Soderstrom

16. mark.burton

mark.burton Member

Reactivation issue - where was the warning?

When I read about the new Boot Camp features, I went a head and bought my first copy of Parallels Desktop for Mac, downloaded the beta 3036 to my MacBook Pro and started reading the instructions for how to use it with my existing legitimate Win XP SP2 Bootcamp installation.

Having followed all the steps in full (including first installing the Boot Camp tools in Win XP), I created a new VM using my Bootcamp partition. As Win XP loaded, the reactivation note comes up :-(

I know this is a beta and I understand that it is our problem when things go wrong, but this is ridiculous. You make no mention of the this issue in any of the guides. You make no mention of it in the post at the top of this thread and you have so far completely ignored numerous requests from your customers to address this verbally or with an update.

Clearly this feature is unusable right now and since everyone who is trying this with a legitimate copy of Windows XP has this issue, I'm at a loss to why Parallels could not have had the same issue and hence reported on it clearly and up front.

Please can you address this question, many, many more before me have been asking for a response, which you are giving freely to others topics. This is a very serious issue and needs to be addressed. If we need to un-install and hold off, then fine, if there is a fix, great - please just let us know what is going on.

Many thanks
    Mark

17. ivc

ivc Bit poster

If you have problems with booting using the Boot Camp partition natively, try to set the Timeout in boot.ini to 5 (seconds) instead of -1. I found that if it's -1 the bootloader is confused and you can't use your keyboard to select Windows XP or Parallels Configuration.

Now I can use the Boot Camp partition using both Parallels and Boot Camp natively. You only need to make sure that you select Parallels Configuration before the timeout counts down when booting via Parallels.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  18. fairfact

fairfact Bit poster

Problems with new 3036 Beta

I downloaded and installed the new Beta and all appeared to be going well until I attempted to launch the new updated version of Parallels. I quickly saw my "old" Win XP desktop, but as the screen "turned" to launch Win XP the image becomes a large inset that looks like a bunch of pink, grey and black horiz lines on a white background (like TV static). The inset is surrounded by a black border on all four sides of the screen. I cannot quit the program in the usual way...have to use a force quit which initially just sits there, but then does finally execute

I never got a chance to load the new Tools. All menu actions are 'dimmed' and inaccessible.

System: iMac 24 intel 2 Duo w 2 gig RAM (previously download the update for iMac 24 and Mac Pro...and all was OK until attenpting to update to Build 3036.

I hope I do not have to reload Win XP as I have also loaded a number of apps on the system.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

19. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

Palm HotSync Now Broken

Andrew,
    Do you think it's possible the new USB improvements have broken Desktop's prvious ability to successfully perform a Palm HotSync?

20. mafoe

mafoe Bit poster

Hi there, congrats to this great build! Really happy to work with that.

I would really like to see a feature to hide the Windows Start menu in Coherence Mode. I like this mode a lot!!!

I miss the Tools to install on a pc before You convert the pc or vmware image. Do I have to install something on the pc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.