List of all VM that do not work with 3036

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by aderium, Dec 3, 2006.

1. aderium

aderium Bit poster

Not Working
    BSD
    * PC-BSD 1.3 Beta​
    * PC-BSD 1.2​
    * FreeBSD 6.1​
    Working
    BSD
    * NetBSD 3.2​
    * OpenBSD 4.0​
    Linux
    Ubuntu Kernel 2.16​

Anyone else to add VM's ?
    :)

2. chucker

chucker Junior Member

Since PC-BSD is a FreeBSD fork, the problems are likely related, so a bugfix for either of them should hopefully help with the other.

3. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Add Freespire 1.0.x Linux ot this list

4. timb

timb Member

FreeBSD 6.1 is getting stuck when trying to access acd0 (which is the CD-ROM), if you disable the CD-ROM, it will freeze up when trying to boot the root file system from ad0 (the disk drive).

5. auratus

auratus Member

Can someone from Parallels please post a current list of all operating systems that you use when testing? I assume you guys test most of the win98 and up Windows variants and maybe even a Linux distro but what others are part of your normal testing procedure before you release your latest builds?

A variant of that questions is also, what are the officially supported guest OSes?

I was pretty surprised to try out my FreeBSD 6.1 VM and have it not work. While I understand this is a beta, I sort of assumed that you had a test machine with just about all of the OSes out there and that something like this would have been in the notes of this build. A sticky post in this forum with the current list of tested/known working guest OSes would be great.

Thanks for all the hard work - it's amazing how fast this product is improving!

6. bitpuddle

bitpuddle Bit poster

I have installed:

-- Fedora Core 6
    -- Debian test
    -- Ubuntu 6.1 with no issues.

I'm actively using FC 6 and everything seems good (except for the 512 meg RAM limit). I can confirm that FreeBSD 6.1 and 6.2 neither run nor install in the new build.

7. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

This has been documented in the Support/FAQ section of Parallels web site since the product was released.

8. auratus

auratus Member

Really, because I didn't spot it anywhere at http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/faq/

If I missed it please let me know or point me at another URL that I may have missed.

Thanks.

9. constant

constant Forum Maven

10. SirRichard

SirRichard Junior Member

Gentoo Linux (unpatched kernel 2.6.18) also works fine.

11. auratus

auratus Member

I don't know if it was just because it was late or I'm going blind but I somehow missed that - thanks for the link.

So, can someone from Parallels confirm that you test this full list before any builds are released.

After reviewing it the FreeBSD supported versions need a looking at in my opinion. 6.1 has been out for a while now and 6.2 is about to be released. Further, there are derivative projects that also will now not work (pfsense and PC-BSD for example). The level of support thus far has been great, I'm just pointing this out so the track record can continue.

Thanks again Parallels team.

12. mirus

mirus Bit poster

On my MacBook C2D Ubuntu 6.10 install but won't boot.

13. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

14. kabz

kabz Bit poster

Ubuntu 6.10 Does Work in 3036

I installed the LiveCD for 6.10 with no troubles. I'm on only on a 1.66 CD though.

I have some sound problems, posted, but have been able to install to a HD, add extra software, tweak xorg.conf for 1400x1050, etc.

Ubuntu does go black on boot, but after 30 seconds or so it does come right up to X login screen. Another wrinkle is that apparently you need to crank the VM memory down to 512 Megs, or it won't boot.

15. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I had a CentOS (RedHat Enterprise disti) VM that worked fine in 1070, but crashes to desktop in 3036. I'm reinstalling it from scratch now to see if a fresh installation will run in 3036.

16. mirus

mirus Bit poster

I've tried to reinstall CentOS a lot of time with a lot of different options, no hope :(

17. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Yeah, just tried it. The installer ran OK, but when it restarts it hangs at the kernel boot stage. :( Oh, well. Back to Fedora Core, I guess.

18. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro