Paralells Problem - New User

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Paulq, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Paulq

Paulq Bit poster

I bought a mac book last week from the Apple Store in Manchester along with a spanking new copy of parallels which I was assured would enable me to run the only remaining Windows app I need, MS Money 2005, flawlessly.

Installed parallels and Windows no problem bur running the software is a nightmare - keeps locking the whole machine up and there is no way the mac will run ANY other mac programmes alongside it.

Am really disappointed to be honest to the point where I have formatted my Compaq PC today and it's running everything flawlessly. Am very tempted to stick the mac on ebay but wanted to see if there's anything I can do to fix the problem before doing so.

Someone has suggested that I may not have allocated enough memory to run the VM efficiently but, as someone who is new to Macs, I don't know how to check or remedy if I haven't.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Paul

2. jmizoguchi

jmizoguchi Member

you will need some major RAM on your macbook.. I ran my macbook with 2GB and I use 1GB for parallels when need it. also Virutal memory is set for OS X.. it's in your memory section.
    I used to have 512 and only used like 256 and it was soooo slow but.. 1GB is a charm.. I think parallels guys recommend to run at 1GB

3. Paulq

Paulq Bit poster

The mac book only has 512mb anyway. Does this mean I need more RAM to run parallels properly?

Cheers

Paul

4. jmizoguchi

jmizoguchi Member

I would.. I went to Bestbuy 2weeks ago and got me 1GB for 109.. that not bad for retail store.. since I was lookingat newegg but I wanted today.. you know..

I was using 512MB ever since macbook came out and paralles when it came out on beta so.. I know the differences.. I suggest get 2GB and max out your mackbook..

windows will work good.. not sure if you want to the beta build 3036. Bit buggy

5. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

What release of Parallels are you running? If it is not 1970, see the thread in the sticky section.

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I should also mention that if memory is the issue, the Apple Store memory is very expensive. If you decide to upgrade to 2GB, I found good prices at Macsales.com. If you decide to go to only 1GB, you can get really good deals on EBAY from all the people who are going to 2GB.

7. LandyMan

LandyMan Member

The Apple store prices are way over the top (here in South Africa as well). Check on the kingston website for a equivalent memory module, and get that rather. Saved me R1000 (around 120 euros :eek:)