Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palter

palter Hunter

That's perfectly normal. Windows doesn't relocate the Recycle Bin icon if you move from a lower to higher resolution. I've seen this on real machines as well as virtual ones.

2. render

render Bit poster

'Use Boot camp' grayed out in image creation menu

I was very excited about hearing the new beta will work in Boot Camp. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. The 'use boot camp' option is grayed out and unselectable in the create image menu .

I have a working Boot Camp Window XP pro partition, but it doesn't seem to recognize it.
    The only thing that might be unusual about my installation is that I did not do the actual repartitioning using Boot Camp; I have several partitions - OS X, XP, Linux, and Linux swap.

Any ideas how I can get Parallels to recognize the XP partition?

Thanks

3. Saxamaphone

Saxamaphone Bit poster

Coherency no workency!

Hi,
    I have a Mac Pro with 4GB of RAM and coherency will not work for me. I have uninstalled and re-installed the parallels tools a few times (the version linked at the beginning of this thread). Is there a later version I am not finding? A re-install seemed to work for an earlier poster but has not had any effect for me.

no coherency
    no drag-n-drop

any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
    Sax

4. alexbet

alexbet Junior Member

First of all, let me tell you that this version of Parallels is AWESOME!!!!! I especially love the coherense feature. It rocks!!!! When I develop web pages, I always have to use both Mac and PC programs because I code in ASP. The coherence feature will make my job SOOOO much easier.

There is only one thing that I have a problem with. I am on a Mac Pro here and the "shared networking" is now greyed out, I can't select it. Because of this, I had to switch to bridged networking. Is there any way to go back to shared networking?

Excellent job Parallels team!!!

5. stevko

stevko Bit poster

Problem with Boot Camp loading

Hey everyone;
    I seem to be having an issue with the new beta and my machine. It's a Mac Pro, has a separate NTFS hard drive with windows on it. I set up the parallels for boot camp on the XP installation, loaded parallels on my machine, and tried to boot it up. I got the following messages:

1) "Your CPU supports Intel Virtulization (VT-x) but it is currently disabled (locked by firmware). Virtual machine will be started without the VT-x support (in software virtualization mode). Try to do the following: stop your VM, put your Mac into the Sleep Mode (Apple Menu -> Sleep Item) and wake it to unlock VT-x, then start your VM again.

(To note, I tried that, and it didn't work. Any ideas?)

2) The boot window contains the following:
    -------
    Parallels(R) VGA-Compatible Bios Version 1.05

<bleah bleah copyright>

640 KB Base Memory
    1048567 KB Extended Memory
    Boot from hard drive... Error loading operating system.

----------

OK, I've got no idea. I do note that the separate hard drive, which usually appears on my desktop, is de-mounted when I start the XP instance running.

Anyone know what's happening?

6. alexbet

alexbet Junior Member

In addition to my above post, there is also one more problem that I found. I know that someone mentioned this before. When I try to compact the disk, the process goes fine in the guest os, and then brakes when it is supposed to start in the primary OS.

7. GregA

GregA Junior Member

Ahh, nope... don't want that :)

If I was heavily using both Windows and OSX simultaneously, it'd be fair enough to simply give them a core each. Most of the time though, I'm heavily using one app (eg iMovie) ... and I want as much resources as possible to go to that app.

Actually, I assume that already happens. ie: Parallels doesn't take over a whole core of the dual-core, it just can't use more than one?

8. GregA

GregA Junior Member

I assume that if you enabled multiple hardware profiles (in the control panel - system), one for Bootcamp and one for Parallels - that this issue may be resolved???

That'd be great for anyone who already has Parallels and would like Bootcamp occassionally. I imagine most future users will install Bootcamp and then add Parallels.

In fact, perhaps Apple is planning on selling Macs with WindowsXP available via Bootcamp. Then a small fee for Parallels would get many people quickly using Windows and OSX side by side. I wonder if Parallels will make a deal with Apple to bundle.

Anyway.. lets hide that task bar and integrate it into the dock ASAP :)
    Should we then set the Mac home directory to the Windows home directories? Or vice versa?

9. GregA

GregA Junior Member

That would be nice. And vice versa too.

Personally, we have ACT, which integrates with Outlook Express. I don't want to run Outlook Express on parallels... but I have no choice.

Pity there's no way of having windows fake OE (or Eudora), while really using Mail.app (or Entourage).

10. krolco

krolco Bit poster

HI GregA,

Not so much... I didn't enable anything manually. The Parallels Tools for Boot Camp seem to enable the hardware profiles.

And I didn't get the problem "fixed"... I just decided to reactivate under Boot Camp and wait until the Parallels solution was out of beta. :)

11. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

Give it a break....

Wow, what a complainer....
    Bootcamp is BETA, 3036 is BETA, 2.0 support was not promised until 3.0...
    You have some nerve buddy
    Go get a life

12. GJT2004

GJT2004 Bit poster

Hello, I have just the same set up, and the same problems, perhaps it is because the Windows i on another disk (disk2) Hmmm

13. sethmw

sethmw Bit poster

Vista and Boot Camp

Will the final release or next release of Parallels support booting into a Vista Boot Camp partition? Or is this not possible with Vista at all?

Thanks
    Seth

14. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Does BootCamp itself support Vista yet?
    Not at all.
    Then why expect Parallels support Vista in BootCamp when you can't even use Vista in BootCamp itself...
    I guess that **when** BootCamp will offer Vista support, then there is no doubt Parallels will support it.

15. PeterW

PeterW Bit poster

just another request for MacDrive support...

very cool, but I won't be touching it until Macdrive support works flawlessly.

16. DBCohen

DBCohen Junior Member

You need to calm down - this is BETA software, not released product. You use it at your own risk. The reason they have not released it is that it still has bugs and is not finished yet.

Really, anyone who installs a beta without backing up their system only has themselves to blame if something gets broken. Dancing up and down demanding instant resolution is completely unfair on the Parallels team.

17. rorschachm

rorschachm Junior Member

I started a thread on this topic, and it looks like the fact that our partitioning wasn't through Boot Camp properly might be the cause...

http://forum.parallels.com/thread6135.html

No real solution that I've heard, though.

18. grahammclellan

grahammclellan Bit poster

Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!

Does any else get this error "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!" when trying to start a session using a Boot Camp installation?

I have XP MCE (Media Center Edition) installed.

Thanx

19. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

We are working on reactivation issue. I apologize for inconvinience.

20. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

I am sure I have seen this question but not a reply, although this is such a fast moving thread it is difficult to keep up.

I have a good working Parallels VM that I woudl LOVE to convert to Bootcamp so I can get the best of both worlds without having to do a load of installs again.

Is there a way to do this?

Cheers.

Robin

PS A BRILLIANT release. Well done to everyone at Parallels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.