Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_zorg

mr_zorg Bit poster

Spoofing mac addresses is nothing new (most routers do it), and easy enough to do, particularly in a virtual machine. I doubt it's that simple though.

2. Gregg

Gregg Bit poster

Is there any way to copy my Windows XP VM data to a Boot Camp partition? I have a lot of documents!

3. mr_zorg

mr_zorg Bit poster

A lot of people have been asking this, although in a slightly different fashion than you. If you don't mind reinstalling Windows, you can probably make this pretty painless. Setup boot camp, then get it running under parallels. Run both the new xp and your old vm and use the Windows File & Settings Transfer Wizard to copy your My Documents and other config options between instances.

4. mr_zorg

mr_zorg Bit poster

Administrator Privileges

I have the beta setup to use my boot camp partition, but I do not run as an administrator user. Whenever I fire up the VM, Parallels asks me, twice, for administrator credentials before it will start up. Is this a bug, is there a work around?, or am I doing something wrong?

5. AlexC

AlexC Bit poster

Another FAT32

Count me in as another FAT32 Boot Camp partition user.

When I try to boot into Windows XP using BootCamp, I get as far as the Windows configuration selection screen... the choices are (from memory) Microsoft Windows and Parallels Configuration, but that's where it sits. No keyboard response.

In Parallels Desktop, I also get the "Unable to use partition Boot Camp"

This is on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz.

6. spblat

spblat Bit poster

Ditto. Has there been a response from Parallels on this issue?

7. The Mike

The Mike Bit poster

Wow! Absolutely intuitive and absolutely Mac-like! ;-)

Sorry, the developers of Parallels Desktop should make a short look to Connectix' Virtual PC UI (now well known as Microsoft Virtual PC).

Parallels Desktop is a good Software... but the User Interface... Linux? ;-)

8. lmastall

lmastall Bit poster

USB problems

i used Build 1970 with a chipcard reader cardman 2020 with a online banking software. It works fine. After the upgrade to the new beta, the chipcardreader is recognized, but it didn´t function any more. So i do a downgrad to build 1970 and i can use the banking software with the chipcard reader again.
    This banking software is one reason for using parallels, so i will stay on using build 1970.
    But the coherence mode of the beta is a great progress :D
    so i hope in the next beta will be able to support my chipcard reader again :)

9. fearthewopr

fearthewopr Bit poster

same thing happens with Windows Media player

10. jer_fido

jer_fido Junior Member

Vista not booting workaround!!!

I can't take credit for this solution but this guy figured it out....now just need the Parallels Team to fix the issue in the next release!

http://forum.parallels.com/post30921-2.html

11. clarifix

clarifix Member

Impressive update! I'm using Parallels everyday, as I am a Filemaker template developer, and have to switch all the time between Mac and Windows. I sold my PC notebook, and my backpack now has a much more manageable weight.

There's 2 things I'd like the people from development to hear.
    1. Please add an option to disable the "Transparent mapping of Command-AZXCV key combinations". I had a good solution with the RemapKey.exe and the Menu Master preference pane in the previous version. The RemapKey.exe switched my command key with my control key on the Windows OS level, and the Menu Master PrefPane removed the annoying Parallels shortcuts that interferred. I could do literally EVERYTHING in Parallels as I did on the Mac, command-Q,E,C,V,L,B,... whatever. What this new version is offering in comparision, is a bit meager, and confuses me even more. Now I have to use command-x to cut, but ctrl-L to go to layout mode. This is a half-implementation with the best of intentions, but it's worse now than before. Come on guys, one check box in the Parallels prefs to turn this back off, please please please...

2. Not really as important as the above issue, but the network performance in FileMaker Pro is a bit sluggish under Parallels. I even get a coffeecup icon when I want to open files remotely. I can live happily with this, but since I'm asking for stuff already...:)

Thanks for an otherwise great product. You guys rock.

12. MikeBasinger

MikeBasinger Bit poster

I'm still can not get Shared Networking working with this beta. I have try rebooting, reinistakking with reboots between uninstall and re-install. Any other ideas.

I'm using a Macbook Pro 15" w/1.5GB ram.

Mike

13. toddgarvin

toddgarvin Junior Member

Actually, Boot Camp HAS supported Vista since 1.1.1. Just not all of the drivers work correctly. I've been running Vista for a while and the final version work great (although HOT) in boot camp. I can also install and run the final Vista in Parallels with no problem. And now, thanks to 3036, I can access my Vista bootcamp install (NTSF) from within Parallels running XP. What more could you want from a beta? ;-)

14. rushmere

rushmere Bit poster

I've got exactly the same problem.

It also asks me for the password when I exit.

Is this standard behaviour, or is there a way to avoid this?

15. toonerh

toonerh Bit poster

Hey, give the guys a break! I seriously doubt all retail XP installs fail. I assume Parallels, like a lot of smaller software companies (and even big one like Microsoft), has chosen to hire more programmers at the expense of QA people. Would you really want to have rock-solid new releases, say, once a year???

I think they're doing a great job, and racing to achieve a lead over VMWare that will put them on top for a long time.

16. gkantz

gkantz Junior Member

What the heck?

Hey "buddy",

You're the one with "some nerve". Shut up and start posting some meaningful responses. I have a life, so if you don't like my comments, that's your problem, not mine. Fact is this is a problem that others have been reporting without too many replies. The USB 2.0 was a wish list item, nothing more. So shut your face.

The major issue is with the freezing of the keyboard on a MacBook Pro when booting directly into Boot Camp and seeing the Parallels for Boot Camp Config Choice screen. The only workaround it to plug in an external keyboard to the USB port, then you can choose and boot directly into the partition. And this IS a real problem.

17. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

um...no. the parallels team alpha tested inhouse. this is a beta and by agreeing to the disclaimer, you agreed to help expose bugs so the development team can fix and get to a release candidate. your condescending outbursts will only make people disregard your posts.

the parallels development team is one of the best group of developers you'll find in the business today. they work long hours, are very dedicated and responsive, and just when you think they've perfected things, they come back with more.

don

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  18. darmitage

darmitage Bit poster

DirectX support

Absolutely remarkable new release!

Any word on when you may have DirectX support? Sure would help Google Earth, although the improvements to OpenGL are very appreciated and noticeable.

19. akac

akac Hunter

Here here! Just because one configuration doesn't work for the guy (Retail XP) does not mean it wasn't worth getting it out. The fact is that Parallels may not be able to do anything about the Retail XP activation - nothing at all - but I applaud them for letting those of us with MSDN or corporate licenses actually get this working.

20. timon

timon Member

You must not be used to using beta software. What is happening on this beta is not out of the norm for beta software with this many changes. If you did not back up your system then you get what you got. It's not fair to put this on Parallels when they clearly stated it's a "Beta" release.

I'll wait for the next beta before I install it. I would have done this one but my home Mac is a G5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.