Can't install Tools for Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hussainahm, Dec 1, 2006.

1. iobe

iobe Junior Member

Well if you have the problem reported in this thread, you don't have a menu.

The "Parallels tools for Boot camp" is supposed to provide this menu, but it won't install.

2. seth9341

seth9341 Bit poster

I am having the same problem it seems. The Tools installer quits and I get the same error message.

3. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Bit poster

Ok that explains it. It seems like the tools install correctly. I don't get an error messages.

4. CentraSpike

CentraSpike Bit poster

Same error here on a corporate install too - i collected some much more verbose debug from msi but i didn't see anything obvious in it (yet :) ), anyway it's attached.

Attached Files:

5. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

the error message won't show, this error is gotten from the installation log, which advanced users will find .. if the tools installer just disappears without saying that it has completed, then the tools haven't installed correctly

6. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Bit poster

Yeah thats what happened.

7. iobe

iobe Junior Member

Damn can't make anything out of that. I was hoping to fix this before I need to work in Windows again - I nuked my old image and bet it all on Boot Camp... So pls hurry Parallels :)

Don't get me wrong, I know it's beta and I have myself to blame for any inconvienences :)

8. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

The log output makes it look like a variable in the MSI is not being set properly... %s should be expanding out to %systemroot%, but isn't. As a result, it cannot find "C:\windows\driver cache\...". I tried experimenting by creating a filesystem %s\etc. and placing it various locations, but that doesn't work either.

I think we're just going to have to wait for a new installer on this one. I couldn't get anywhere by extracting the MSI and editing it in orca.

9. iobe

iobe Junior Member

Bump?

Bumpetibump.

10. Yonael

Yonael Bit poster

Bump

me too
    the probleme is really the mac tools for bootcamp
    waiting for the solution

11. tychop

tychop Junior Member

Pfffffffffff

First I had the FAT32 issue. Fixed it by "convert c: /fs:ntfs".
    I installed the Parallels-Tools-Bcp-1.0.3-Win.exe without a problem. I got 2 hardware profiles.
    Then I could boot XP via bootcamp & parallels. Great !!! Finally. However....

I then had the activation issue. Fixed that by installing an illegal XP Corp version in which I inserted my legal XP Pro key using keychange.exe from microsoft's site.

Reinstalled Bootcamp drivers, Reinstalled Parallels-Tools-Bcp-1.0.3-Win.exe.
    And then..... I didn't get the two hardware profiles I expected..... No booting via parallels....

Bummer.

Tried to replace the drivers.cab file with the one of the CD with which I was able to boot via parallels. No positive result... Darn.

I'm all out of ideas now.

Guess we'll have to wait for our Parallels friends to provide us with a new Parallels-Tools-Bcp version. Anyway, from what I was able to see & try, Great great work guys. I hope to be able to use it in the near future.

12. bobo12345

bobo12345 Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem - WinXP Corp.

Please please fix Parallels people so I can play with Parallels

13. dunno_schmo

dunno_schmo Bit poster

i'm having the same problems, where the parallel boot camp tools don't finish the install. any word yet on a fix?

14. Yonael

Yonael Bit poster

Hi Tychop
    Apparently you are the first which is able to install the Parallels-Tools-Bcp-1.0.3-Win.exe in bootcamp without a problem (the first time.)
    I run the same as you (convert ntfs) and i block directly like a lot of us: no boot, no hardware profiles.
    What the différence with your (first) try ? A magical touch or are you from the dark side? :)
    please, remember your magic formula...and let us know

15. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

I used the rgular XP SP2.

I have bounced between booting in Boot Camp and via parallels over a dozen times.
    Each time I am asked to "activate" but each time it activates without any issues.

Everything is working as in the 1970 release, except the annoyance of the activation message.

I did go into the system "msconfig" and remove the kbdmngr.exe file from loading. Not required in Parallels

THAT one program was causing me 90% of my problems with loading Tools and shutdown and restart problems and slowing down the system.

I made an alias and put it in the Task Bar for use when booting via Boot Camp.

ajm

16. mixel

mixel Bit poster

I can't install tools in bootcamp/XP either.. As with other people, it looks like its working but quits before the installation has finished.. So I get the same old error when trying to use my bootcamp partition in Parallels. :(

Good luck working it out team, the new features in this beta seem amazing..

17. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

18. superchink

superchink Bit poster

Any confirmation?

Has anyone heard any confirmation the Parallels is aware of this issue?

I also have a legal corporate copy of XP SP2 and am having the same problem with the driver.cab not found message in the log file.

19. marikavs

marikavs Bit poster

multi-boot?

"Your Boot Camp has multi-boot configuration. The current version of Parallels Tools for Boot Camp does not support multi-boot configuration.
    Setup cannot be continued."

Huh? But, but... how else was it supposed to switch between OS X and Windows? The whole point of this exercise was to get away from that! Also, I'm running out of space on the OS X partition and haven't been able to figure out how to shrink the Boot Camp partition so I thought this would be a viable alternative. At present I'm running a (very small) second installation of Windows XP SP2 in Parallels but would abandon it in a second if I could use the Boot Camp installation in Parallels instead.

Have I misunderstood something? Would somebody help, please. My Boot Camp partition is NTFS. My MacBook is core duo (not the most recent 2.)

I'm a recent Mac convert so please try to not get too technical on me. Thank you.

20. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

It sounds like you ahve multiple options in your boot.ini file. To check, right-click my computer, go to the "advanced" tab, and click "Settings" under "Startup and Recovery".

You'll get a new window, and at the top it'll say "System startup." Click the "Edit" button just below that.

DO NOT ACTUALLY EDIT THIS FILE unless you understand it. You could prevent your computer from booting, and since you can't write to the partition in Mac OS, you won't be able to fix it without a lot of grief.

Anyway... the file should look something like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

if you have two lines under operating systems, then your machine is setup to "dual boot" windows. Most of the time, one of those lines doesn't need to be there, and may be there as a consequence of an OS upgrade. However, as I said, if you don't understand how this file works, editing it would be a poor choice.

feel free to paste the contents of this file to the forum, and perhaps one of us with windows admin experience could attempt to figure out which line is unecessary.