cannot run windows xp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by macgeek21, Dec 2, 2006.

1. macgeek21

macgeek21 Junior Member

when i startup parallels i get this window asking me to pick my vm when i click on my windows xp vm i get an error message saying Virtual machine Microsoft Windows XP cannot be opened since it is already used in another Parallels Desktop window. i do not have it running at all. i just installed the new beta but i did so yesterday and it was working fine then.

2. bmzero

bmzero Junior Member

Any luck with this? I'm having the same problem now.

I'm running the latest beta release.

.brit

3. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

I have the same issue.

I installed build 3036 yesterday, and tried it out. During that try-out, I installed the Parallels tools. At the end of the day, I shut down the machine. Today, when I start parallels, I get a dialog asking me to choose a VM. In the list, WinXP is greyed out, and if I try to select that anyway, I get a message saying the VM is already in use by another window.

4. bmzero

bmzero Junior Member

This is a very serious issue. Please, someone on the Parallels support team check this out.

.brit

5. LandyMan

LandyMan Member

I had the same issue tonight, after creating a second VM for Vista (which failed in any case). I deleted the Vista VM, logged out and in again, and the problem disappeared

6. bmzero

bmzero Junior Member

Thanks for the hint. Just starting the process of creating a new VM worked for me. I stopped at the part where I was to enter my ProductID and canceled it. Then, after a parallels quit, and a parallels start, I could access my XP VM.

.brit

7. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

On a hunch, I restarted my computer, and the problem went away for me too.

This is still an issue that needs to be fixed, though.

8. icurnvs

icurnvs Bit poster

Unfortunately, this is my Boot Camp partition and I'd like to not have to rebuild that as it would be quite time consuming. I'll try a reboot...<crosses fingers>

9. hansderycke

hansderycke Member

This morning, the problem's back.

It looks like I'll have to restart my computer *twice* every time I use Parallels.

Not good.

10. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

Delete the .FILENAME.pvs.lock file from the directory your .PVS file is (where FILENAME is the name of this file)... You need to use terminal to do it... Parallels should be deleting or ignoring this file any time the VM is stopped, but it's not doing it each time for some reason...

11. mcs_service

mcs_service Bit poster

Only when shutting down via Windows?

This fixed the issue, but it appears that this is only happening when I am shutting Windows down by pressing START | Shutdown. When I click the STOP button in Parallels, it works fine.

Can someone else confirm that?

Michael

12. macgeek21

macgeek21 Junior Member

it seems this issues is fixed by restarting the computer and then you are able to start up xp. this issue needs to be fixed its very annoying to have to keep restarting my computer if i want to use parallels.