Problems running the VM file off a Firewire drive

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by LandyMan, Dec 3, 2006.

1. LandyMan

LandyMan Member

Hi everyone,

I've been using parallels desktop for a couple of months now, firstly with the pvs and hdd files on my Macbook Pro's HDD. Then decided to move it to an external HDD, connected via USB2. Both of these options worked out quite well.

Then I decided to go the Firewire route, so I got a FW 800 chassis (ViPowER VPA-25289B-800), to improve the performance of my WinXP virtual machine. Running via FW400, sometimes the VM will boot, sometimes it won't boot at all (it just hangs, like on a native WinXP machine). Sometimes it will go for about 10 minutes, and then just hangs again (the external HDD is still powered, as I can feel the drive spinning, but WinXP is just non-responsive).

Has anyone had the same experiences? Any suggestions?

Oh, the external is running 2 partitions (one Mac and one FAT32), and the hdd and pvs files are located on the Mac partition, and parallels is configured with a symbolic link to the directory on the external HDD.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. LandyMan

LandyMan Member

Update: Should anyone encounter the same problem as stated above, make sure you selected the disk cache policy to give better performance to the VM, and not OSX ... doing that sorted out my problem