Solaris 10 - how to 'exit' cleanly?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by zeker00, Dec 4, 2006.

1. zeker00

zeker00 Junior Member

MacPro with Parallels build 1970. Have VM for Solaris10 for x86 06/06. Install went OK, unit not currently connected to a network. After install, boots to SUN CDE 1.6.2 and allows 'root' to login. Appears to be full functionality of CDE. However, when I select [exit] for 'exiting the desktop session', I get the console window login screen for about 10 seconds and the SUN CDE window opens again for login. What I "want" to do is cleanly close out the Solaris VM. If I just 'stop' the VM via Parallels console window, the next time I launch the VM I get

WARNING - The following files in / differ from the boot archive: /etc/path_to_inst cannot find: /etc/devices/mdi_ib_cache: No such file or directory

I can clear the service with svcadm clear system/boot-archive but I am not solving the problem.

Suggestions for a newbie appreciated!:D

I realize I will need to get the SUN sysadmin in to 'really' setup the desired Solaris environment/accounts/network/etc - but I'd like to get minimal functionality demonstrated to convince them of potential uses....

zeker00

2. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

If you use Java Desktop instead of CDE ( available under Options on the login screen ), there is an option on logout to shutdown the computer.

Failing that, once logged in, open up a terminal/console session, and enter halt. Solaris will then shut down properly.

HTH

3. plarusa

plarusa Member

Open a shell window and type "reboot". You can stop the VM while it is POSTing. There might also be a "shutdown" command somewhere.