Memory and Reserved Memory settings

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by trachshack, Dec 2, 2006.

1. trachshack

trachshack Junior Member

I have a iMac with 1GB of memory, and don't know how much memory to allocate to XP in Parallels. I'm only doing some very basic tasks with XP...mostly just running Quicken and ACT, (contact management program), and never at the same time. And while I'm using either one of these I won't need to be doing anything on the Mac OS except checking e-mail through Firefox, (or I can just as easily do that through XP). Can I please get your suggestions re both the reserved memory setting and the memory setting? I'm hoping my iMac has enough memory. At the Apple store they told me 1GB would be fine. If you don't think it is please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. jmizoguchi

jmizoguchi Member

I had macbook with 512 when I got it. Parallels recommend 1G to run windows smooth.. I end up putting 2G on my macbook and set for 1GB for my windows and runs great...

3. LandyMan

LandyMan Member

I used to run Parallels on my MBP (1Gb) using only 256Mb ram ... it worked fine running MS Visio, MS Project and IE all at the same time.

I have upgraded to 2Gb now, and will push it up a bit, probably to 512Mb or 768Mb. I don't think it will need more than that

4. trachshack

trachshack Junior Member

I'm going with 256MB which seems to be fine. But where do I need to set my Reserved Memory? Thanks.

5. LandyMan

LandyMan Member

In the Title bar: Parallels -> Preferences (don't know exactly where, my MBP is at home) ... set it to 356Mb to use (according the their advise) 256Mb.