Workstation 2.1 Beta 4

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by austin, Apr 18, 2006.

1. austin

austin Member

Does the new full-screen mode + dual monitor support allow for Mac OS X on one display and Windows on another?

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Yes, it does :) - Don't forget to install Parallels tools - with sliding mouse guest tool you will switch between mac and win as easy as never before ;)

3. austin

austin Member

Thanks, this is great news.

4. marek

marek Bit poster

Can't wait to get back to my office to use the dual mon. That by itself will result in a bunch of people getting the Parallels VM next week.

5. palter

palter Hunter

Full screen is very nice, thanks.

When do you anticipate supporting the widescreen resolutions of Macs (1440x900 on the MacBook Pro, for example) as native resolutions for the guest?

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

We are working on it - can't give exact date though.

7. cawaker

cawaker Bit poster

I must say I have been very impressed in the rate in which the betas have been updated. also the features and fixes being added to each update.

If this kind of support continues past beta I will surely be a happy customer.

8. mdrevs

mdrevs Bit poster

Me, too. Great job!

Can't wait until USB works!

9. loughkb@yahoo.com

loughkb@yahoo.com Member

I second that motion. This is an amazing product, I've paid my pre-order! Once USB and Firewire are supported, this will be a nearly perfect product.

What's next on the list parallels team? Not rushing you, just curious... (usb?)

10. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

the application always started up slow as if it were not native .. my other apps usually start up very quickly .. 2Ghz 1.5GB RAM

11. Andrew @ Parallels

USB is on the way :)

12. mpacific

mpacific Bit poster

Let's see if b4 makes me freeze/panic on win2k. b1-3 did :(

13. Andrew @ Parallels

You mean Parallels application or guest OS?

14. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

was going to mention that to avoid confusion but forgot . Parallels app

15. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

hmm well .. it seems like it's only slow on first launch .. consequent launches happen in just under 4 seconds .. sorry

16. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

First I must say this product is awsome. Using beta3 it would not allow me to use the CD/DVD drive. I am hoping this is resloved in beta4. Also on the USB support. The big seller for me would being able to use an All in One printer in windows. Epson doesn't provide the drivers for Mac while there are generic drivers, they don't allow me to scan. With USB support will I be able to hook the printer up and the windows see the printer and allow me full functionality in the windows environment?

17. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

"USB is on the way..."

Sugar for my ears! ;-)

18. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Have a DVD-ROM issue installing XP

I have a small issue with dvd-rom. I created a new VM to install another fresh instance of XP. My XP is on a bootable DVD containing multiple versions of XP and other Windows (not a hackers DVD, but an original MSDN subscriber DVD). The DVD is bootable and offers a text menu to select which OS to install, at boot time. The first part of setup runs flawlessly (and very quickly -- superb!). Then comes the first reboot to continue the installation in GUI mode. The setup GUI appears, I hear the dvd spinning and seeking. Then setup stops on an error saying it could not find required files on the DVD. Just as if it didn't recognized the dvd as the same one it used for the initial part of the setup.

I am ripping an iso image of the dvd as I write this to retest using the image instead of the physical dvd. I will post a followup after that.

19. jase

jase Bit poster

Woo-hoo! Full screen!

That was the last hurdle I was waiting for.

Gotta go place my order now.

20. kboggs

kboggs Bit poster

Dual Monitor support?

Maybe I missed something or just don't understand, but how do you activate dual monitor support? I don't see the second monitor in Windows' display control panel. I tried reinstalling the VM Tools but it just wanted to uninstall. :confused:

I want to repeat what many others are saying; You guys are doing a super job on this. It just keeps getting better.