3036 broke FreeBSD 6.1 completely

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by auratus, Dec 2, 2006.

1. auratus

auratus Member

I can no longer boot up a FreeBSD 6.1-Release VM.

This same VM was working fine with build 1970.

It hangs when trying to mount the root filesystem. I also tried diabling the CDROM in the VM properties and that didn't change anything.

It also pegs the CPU at 100% while it hangs there at the last line as seen in the screenshot.

Any ideas? Can anybody else get FreeBSD to boot? I'm assuming someone has tried Linux and that works, right?

FYI: my Win2K VM seems to be working just fine and I like the new features there - good work!

--Alan
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

auratus,

we will investigate this - bsd's should work.
    at least i'm using FreeBsd 6.0 - and it seems ok.
    thanks for report.

Max.

3. bill.marquette

bill.marquette Junior Member

I can confirm this on both pfSense (http://www.pfsense.org/) and FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/) both on FreeBSD 6.1 and FreeBSD 6.2 variants of those releases. Hangs while mounting root file system on both. I'm a pfSense core developer and need the multi-interface additions in 3036, so the older releases don't quite help me unfortunately. If this can be fixed (sounds like it may be a FreeBSD change if 6.0 works) then I'm certainly in for a purchase.

--Bill

4. SirRichard

SirRichard Junior Member

That is exactly the same thing I ran into, too. FreeBSD hanging in the init process when mounting the root filesystem. This might be unrelated to the virtual HDD because the VM also hangs in init when booting from the installation CD. No problems here with Linux, so far. Neither Gentoo linux nor SuSE 10.2 beta or Ubuntu images show such a behaviour - each of them is working as a charme.

5. timb

timb Member

Mega-dittos.

6. willmc

willmc Junior Member

One more...

Just chiming in here to say I've got the same problem with FreeBSD 6.1 using Parallels 3036.

7. motivator

motivator Bit poster

yep...same here. also tried installing 6.1 and 6.2 new from ISOs and no go. booting from the 6.0 ISO does still work, though.

8. STim

STim Bit poster

Thanks to everyone - we have this issue reproduced, fixed and validated internally. Stay tuned for the next iteration of beta testing.

Best regards,
    Tim

9. auratus

auratus Member

Thanks a bunch for the quick response!

So, will Parallels be updating the list of officially supported FreeBSD versions to include up to 6.1 now? (Right now it tops out at 5.4)

10. timb

timb Member

Yes! Please add "FreeBSD 6.x" to the list of Operating Systems you can choose in Parallels.

Right now it only does FreeBSD 4.x, FreeBSD 5.x and Other FreeBSD. I know it's just a cosmetic thing, but it still really bothers me.

11. SirRichard

SirRichard Junior Member

Great news! Thank you very much for such a superfast reaction. Nice to know that Parallels is not such a "run Windoze on my Mac" think like Bootcamp and allows the attitute that other OS than M$ Win run fine on that Apple, too.

And: yes, please extend the list of supported OS to FreeBSD and (perhaps, for my private need :) ) Gentoo Linux.

BTW: The running VMs do not show the OS icon any more (now they show a minimized Parallels icon - not bad, but I'd like to see my Beastie there :) )

12. STim

STim Bit poster

SirRichard, the dock bar icon behavior will be configurable starting from next beta iteration, so Beastie is back then :)

We'll consider adding official support for FreeBSD 6.x.

13. Raimund Hümmer

Raimund Hümmer Junior Member

When will the next beta iteration released?

I await eagerly to install FreeBSD 6.1.

14. ubergeek

ubergeek Bit poster

same here.... :-(

I was running FreeBSD 6.2-beta3 happily until the 3036 update. Hangs mounting root with no disk activity.

Is it safe to downgrade to last release, if I delete the secondary NIC's that I added to the VM's?

15. auratus

auratus Member

I was running 6.1 and it was working fine and then 3036 broke that. I was just going to wait but I had some work to do that I needed my FreeBSD 6.1 VM for. So, I had to go back to 1970. The downgrade worked fine for me.

I used the uninstaller for 3036 from the .dmg. I then rebooted the Mac. I then installed 1970 and rebooted again. After that everything seems to be working just fine again.

I forgot to uninstall Parallels tools from my Win2K VM before downgrading but I rarely use it and can wait until the next >3036 build comes out to try that. If I try it I would likely have problems as the tools would be newer than the base of Parallels 1970.

The FreeBSD failure to boot issue is fixed internally according to support so if you can wait for the next beta that might be the easiest solution. Hopefully that will be soon.

16. johnoyler

johnoyler Member

Dock icon behavior:

Tim,
    Would you guys consider making it possible to turn off the window thumbnail completely? For me, I don't care to run "linux" so much as I care to just run one app within it. If I could configure it to use the Konqueror icon (and the IE7 icon for the windows VM), I would prefer this.

Also, is there a way to be able to set up a dock icon to launch a specific VM, rather than it just opening Parallels and giving me the menu to choose?

17. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

I have not tried any of my turn-key distro's with the latest build..

yo dev, how about some BSD sound drivers for this? ;)

18. luomat

luomat Hunter

next iteration when?

This was a week ago now. When will the next beta iteration be available?

19. Raimund Hümmer

Raimund Hümmer Junior Member

still no change on FreeBSD with unofficial 3038

I tried yesterday the "unofficial" 3038 (unofficial available in the download area). But theres no change. FreeBSD 6.1 Install-CD still hangs on boot-procedure (can't mount root). :-(

20. ubergeek

ubergeek Bit poster

Any news on FreeBSD 6.x for 3036 and later builds?

I had to downgrade because I needed to keep working. It would be a shame to buy parallels only to stick with the original version.