Converting Paralells image to BootCamp?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sirris101, Dec 4, 2006.

1. sirris101

sirris101 Member

Hi there-

When I bought my new Intel mac and started using Parallels right away and ignored BootCamp due to the inherent benefits of Parallels.

As I use Parallels and my Windows XP virtual machine, I sometimes wish I could boot that machine in Bootcamp for a performance boost.

My question is, can one take a Windows XP virtual machine created in Parallels and make it compatible with Bootcamp? My goal is to boot up my virtual machine in Parallels most of the time, but have the option to boot it in Bootcamp as well when I need the extra performance. Can I convert my current drive image to be compatible with Bootcamp?

I know the new Parallels beta can open Bootcamp images, but I need to turn my Parallels images into a Bootcamp image first.

Thanks in advance!

2. JesseRPI

JesseRPI Bit poster

I would definitely be interested in the option also. It would make for the convenient ability to play 3D games while waiting for Parallels 3D support.

3. dotorg

dotorg Bit poster

sirris101: Your best bet would be to create something akin to a Ghost image of the Parallels install, use BootCamp to create the Boot Camp partition, and use the same tool to restore the Parallels image into the Boot Camp install. Then install the Apple drivers and get the system up and running, then try to use the Boot Camp integration to run it back in Parallels.

I've not tried it to do this, but I've used a free product called PING to do similar things from VM to real world before, just not with Parallels. I'd assume it would work.

http://ping.windowsdream.com/ping.html

4. nmatese

nmatese Bit poster

I would also love the option to somehow export my Parallels VM to bootcamp. Please advise if anyone has any viable options.

5. MacDadaVM

MacDadaVM Bit poster

I moved a VM to Boot Camp this week - Guide Posted

I spent 5 days trying to do this and finally found a solution. Please see my post regarding moving a Parallels VM to a Boot Camp partition here:

http://forum.parallels.com/thread6433.html

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck.