Boot Camp Questions

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by oturn, Dec 4, 2006.

1. oturn

oturn Bit poster

Boot Camp had previously been working fine, but now I get the message that it "cannot be opened since it is already used in another Parallels Desktop window." This is after a reboot, upon the initial launch of Parallels. There are no other windows open. I overcame this problem by creating another virtual machine using boot camp. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Should there be a video driver installed in Boot Camp within Parallels? The video driver is installed within the regular Boot Camp, but not through Parallels. The video card is listed as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)", but no driver is installed. Interestingly enough, the video resolution can still be properly set.

Also, there is another driverless device within Boot Camp in Parallels listed as "Other PCI Bridge Device". Is this normal?

Should the mouse be seamless within Boot Camp? Lastly, should the resolution in Boot Camp dynamically adjust between a window and full screen?

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Sounds like you did not install Parallel Tools for Windows or the install did not take.

If you did an install do you see the icon in the task bar?

If the Icon is there are all the drivers enabled?

ajm

3. oturn

oturn Bit poster

Thanks nycruza. I didn't realize the Parallel Tools had to be installed twice...once in Boot Camp before adding it to Parallels, and again when running within Parallels. Now all is well!

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

Cant help with the last 2 points, but the video driver should be installed by Parallels Tools. The first instance seems to be a bugette where on shutdown, Paralllels doesnt clean up its lockfile. To fix it, go into your ~/Library/Parallels and remove the .lock file (you'll probably need to do this via command line, rather than Finder). Lock files reside in the subdirs for each VM

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006