Boot Camp Tools killed my Boot Camp...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ChrisKnight, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ChrisKnight

ChrisKnight Bit poster

I have a 17" Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8N1051). I bought Parallels the same day I bought my Mac, and I installed Paralles immediately after I installed a Boot Camp partition (FAT32). When the recent new build was released I was very excited by the idea of being able to use my Boot Camp partition and not have to maintain two sets of installed win32 apps.

I promptly downloaded build 3606 and installed it. I also downloaded the Boot Camp Tools, rebooted into WinXP, and then installed the Tools. I then rebooted again, booting into WinXP. I got the expected Windows menu allowing me to choose which driver profile I wanted: Boot Camp or Paralles. The problem is that my keyboard does not work, so I am unable to choose which driver profile to boot with.

OK, well, that sucks. So, I reboot into OS X and try to set up a Paralles virtual environment using the Boot Camp volume. Select Boot Camp, try to finish, nothing happens. Clicking on the button does nothing. I can get everything set up, but can't finish.

Is anyone else having problems on the 17" Core 2 Duo laptops?

-Chris

2. rnomad

rnomad Junior Member

I have same problems with an iMac 24 Core 2 Duo. I get a cannot read from volume, but that is the FAT32 issue already known.

3. mcsenerd

mcsenerd Member

Well...if you'd read the thirty thousand other posts from people in this forum you'd see that there are a great multitude of people having trouble with the boot camp crud.

Since I guess you can't read the other posts...just plug in a USB keyboard and you should be able to select an appropriate profile to get Boot Camp started. AFAIK you just need the external keyboard during the profile selection part...afterwards the internal keyboard works fine.

4. rnomad

rnomad Junior Member

Figured this out. Also discovered that the Parallels install disables MacDrive6. After I uninstalled it, all was well again. On my iMac24, I had to remove the "Apple Keyboard Support" folder to get my keyboard to work again.

5. toby85

toby85 Bit poster

I've the same problem on my MacBook Core 2 Duo. What's the solution to remove this problem?

Thanks