parallels 1970 prevents Intel Macs from automatic sleep

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by abrunger, Nov 15, 2006.

1. abrunger

abrunger Bit poster

Since installing the latest version of Parallels Desktop for Mac (build 1970) the automatic sleep on my MacPro and MacBook Pro (both Intel) does not work anymore. When un-installing Parallels, everything is fine again. It appears that Parallels launches a background job upon startup
    (regardless of one is actually using Parallels):

/Library/StartupItems/Parallels/pvsnatd

It seems to consume some CPU time, so could this be the problem?

Any advise?

I contacted Parallels support a few days ago, but there has not been any response.

Axel Brunger

2. akac

akac Hunter

That's the Parallels network NAT server that helps Parallels connect to the network.

3. abrunger

abrunger Bit poster

I tried deleting the NAT server by killing the process. Still, the automatic
    sleep does not work. It only starts working again after entirely
    un-installing Parallels (using the Parallels un-install script).

I often do syncs over slow networks, so I need the automatic sleep
    option in order to shut the system down after the sync is complete.

So far, Parallels has not responded to the bug report that I submitted
    over a week ago. Poor support!

Is there an alternative product to Parallels? I only occasionally
    use it.

Axel Brunger

4. mykmelez

mykmelez Member

Right, and I think pvsnatd is specifically part of Parallels' new "Shared Networking" feature, which seems to have popped up in the latest release without the significant beta testing cycle to which the company has subjected the other features of its product.

So I'm not surprised that it causes this problem (which I've also noticed). In other news, pvsnatd has been known to crash on wakeup, which makes networking stop working for VMs using Shared Networking. I've submitted a stack trace for the latter problem, and the company has responded that the problem will be fixed in the next version.

If they fix that crash-on-wakeup bug, hopefully they'll fix this don't-let-sleep bug as well.

5. abrunger

abrunger Bit poster

I just figured out a work-around. I turned off Sharing in the Mac OSX System-Preference -> Sharing menu. Then I used the "Sharing" option in the Parallels Network Adpater options.

Apparently, the 1970 built does not require the use of Sharing in the Apple system preference
    anymore. By turning off this option, the automatic sleep works just fine and I can still access
    the Internet from within the Parallels virual machine.

6. mykmelez

mykmelez Member

I have Internet connection sharing turned off (I have never enabled it), but my MacBook Pro still doesn't always go to sleep when I close it. It usually does go to sleep, but occasionally I have to select "Sleep" from the Apple menu to make it sleep. I haven't noticed anything different about those occasions, so it's unclear why the problem is intermittent.