Build 3036 freezes on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by CountZero, Dec 6, 2006.

1. CountZero

CountZero Member

Build 3036 was working fine with my XP VM until today. I started it up and when the vm window turns to the console view, it just freezes. Not just Parallels but also OS X. Not kernel panic either, just slow the whole computer so much that only my mouse pointer can be moved intermittently. The console was showing "Booting from hard disk..." and HD 'light' was lit up constantly when that happens. Thinking that may be my XP vm image is corrupted, I also try my Win2k vm and got the same result.

The last time I ran either VMs was on Sunday, three days ago, and since then I've added a second optical drive to the Mac Pro, as well as installed couple of games. I won't thought they would affect Parallels, I pulled out the second optical drive anyway but to no effect.

Nothing jump out at me when I looked at the application log so I am at a lost here.

Any one has any suggestion as to how I can get Parallels running again?

2. STim

STim Bit poster

3. Sonderpa

Sonderpa Member

I had/have the same problem with version 3036.
    Installed version 3038, but then Coherence was disabled and I couldn't enable it (grey).

4. CountZero

CountZero Member

Thanks! It works. I am not using Coherence so I don't care that it doesn't work in this version.

5. Kylew01@mac.com

Kylew01@mac.com Bit poster

If you read some of the other forums it has been mentioned several times... What you have to do on 3036 for the Mac Pro is go to the preferences, memory, and manually set the memory to one gig or above. Then it will work fine.

6. CountZero

CountZero Member

Yes, I realised that the solution may have been mentioned in the forum but a search does not turn up anything obvious. There is no FAQ, no post/thread with similar title as this one, etc. There is also no official post about this 3038 build and what it fixes. I think it is asking a lot from the normal users who don't spend a lot of time here in the forum to just 'know' the solution.

7. jdonalds

jdonalds Bit poster

Tried that, set mine to 2gb, I still get a KP using 3036...going to try 3038, but really wanted coherence...so I guess I will wait for 30xx....

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Coherence should work in 3038! Just don't forget to update your Parallels Tools.

9. dnanian

dnanian Member

Doesn't seem to, Andrew. With Updated Parallels Tools, the Coherence pane of the tools is grayed out.

10. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

And what about status? Is it enabled or disabled?

11. dnanian

dnanian Member

It was disabled (unchecked).

I uninstalled the tools completely, reinstalled, and that brought it back (grayed but checked).