Parallels Workstation 2.1 for Mac OS X Beta4 is ready for download!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ben @ Parallels, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Ben @ Parallels

Ben @ Parallels Member

Hi guys -

I'm proud to let you all know that Parallels Workstation 2.1 for Mac OS X Beta4 is now available for download!

Thanks to the help of our thousands of beta testers, we hammered our many of the bugs found in betas 1, 2, and 3, and were able to include several important new features, including:

• Support for full screen mode
    • Dual-monitor support
    • Improved real CD/DVD support
    • Improved, easier to use interface
    • Better sound support, including a fix for Windows 2000 guest OS
    • Networking kernel panics fixes
    • Bridged networking issues fixes
    • WiFi networking issues fixes
    • Fixes for some of the issues encountered when entering "Sleep" mode when a VM is running
    • Many other minor bug fixes
    There is one known issue with Beta4 that we're already working on: If you have a real CD or DVD connected to a VM, you may have problems ejecting the disk. Simply disconnect the CD from the VM, and you should be able to eject the disk as normal.

Ready to get started with the new version? Get it at the Parallels Download Center!

2. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Absolutely amazing! Can't get over what a great company Parallels is working so hard on this.

Please please please get USB working soon as it's the only thing stopping me from buying.

3. Manatee

Manatee Member

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to say that I'd have gladly paid three times as much for this software. It is inspiring to see people work so hard and pay such close attention to their customers. This is a great model for success, and I hope Parallels gets a lot of press and catches on in a big way.

4. bceverly

bceverly Member

Having problems downloading beta 4

When I download it, it won't mount on my 17" iMac Core Duo. Is there a different link you can provide me?

Thanks!

5. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

You guys are incredible!

Incredible! This is what you are! I have used other virtualizations solutions for years, on Windows and Linux and Mac OS X. And this one has performance levels that I never saw on any machine to date. :)

6. Faz

Faz Bit poster

Apple's USB Modem

I am running Windows XP on my iMac and I just wanted to know if there was a projected time frame for the Apple's USB modem support.
    Thanks

7. narrowcaster

narrowcaster Bit poster

Disk won't mount

The Beta 4 download disk will not mount on my 20" iMac. The error message says it's not recognized.

I have Beta 3 and it has worked great, but I have noticed the CD issue. I can't wait to see it full screen on Beta 4.

8. divsorbit

divsorbit Bit poster

Thank you

Hey Ben,
    Thanks for the great product. I am trying to install the beta4 but keep getting mount error on my macbook pro.
    Div

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Please try to download again. We had problems with website and your DMG is probably corrupted.

10. Andrew @ Parallels

When we have USB support in Parallels you'll be able to see it in your guest Windows XP. But to use it in guest Windows XP you should have XP drivers for Apple USB modem. Do you know does it have it?

11. bceverly

bceverly Member

Tried at 2:45 pm EDT - Disk image still corrupted

Hi,

I'm trying to download Beta 4 and just tried again after reading the posting earlier in this thread. Unfortunately it still is saying that the DMG file is corrupted on this end.

Any ideas? Should I be grabbing it from a different page other than the "Download" one?

Thanks in advance!

12. jayv

jayv Bit poster

Full Screen at Native Res?

You guys are doing a great job. I was excited to see full-screen support now, But why isn't there are setting in the windows video drivers for the native res of MacBook Pro 1400x900?

13. Andrew @ Parallels

Try this link please:
    ftp://ftp.parallels.com/beta/Parallels-2.1.1658.58-Mac.dmg

14. Andrew @ Parallels

Yes - it will be possible in the next update. Please keep in touch.

15. Marc

Marc Bit poster

Full screen feature is very nice. But I don't like that it messes around with the resolution on native MacOSX. This rearrange Icons on the Desktop and shortens the open windows of the other applications. I don't know if this is configurable.

One more thing: when not in full screen mode the window of the vm should never ever be larger than the available screen size; if it's bigger it should have scroll bars. This would be easier to get to the panel in Linux, or the task bar in Windows.

Keep up the good work (I have already per-ordered).

16. bceverly

bceverly Member

Works!

Thanks so much!

17. davidahn

davidahn Bit poster

Larger than Physical Screen

I'm sure if you auto-panned on the edges, larger screen sizes shouldn't be a problem.

David

18. Faz

Faz Bit poster

Good question, I don't know the answer to that one. Hoping you would know
    :)

19. mbeyer

mbeyer Bit poster

Nicely done. MUCH better. Thanks guys.

20. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<