Parallels Activation Key

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by christian.v, Dec 7, 2006.

1. christian.v

christian.v Bit poster

Hello,

I just received my retail version of Parallels bought from Apple Store.

Before that, I had installed the latest Beta from Parallels Desktop for Mac (the one that can use the Boot Camp partition to work, because my only copy of Windows XP is installed on it). I tried to enter the activation key supplied with the CD but I get the following message : The activation key cannot be used with the current version of the Parallels Desktop.

Weird. Makes me regret buying it...

Any chance somebody from Parallels could help ? Or, can I get a refund ?

Thanks in advance.

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

download the latest release 1970 from http://download.parallels.com/GA/Parallels-Desktop-1970-Mac-en.dmg
    and use the uninstaller to remove the version you have installed. then go to ~/Library/Parallels and delete the .parallels_license2.x file(s) (you'll need to do that in terminal)
    then install your retail version and then upgrade it to 1970 that you downloaded with the link above.

3. christian.v

christian.v Bit poster

Thanks Darkone.

Problem is that version 1970 doesn't support Boot Camp... And my only copy of Windows XP is already installed on it.

That's why I installed version 3036, instead of installing the retail version.

4. christian.v

christian.v Bit poster

Is there someone working at Parallels today ?
    Anybody in ?
    Andrew, are you there ?

5. christian.v

christian.v Bit poster

This is the answer I have received from Avanquest :

Hope I can get a refund...

6. NutKracker

NutKracker Junior Member

That's pretty poor! I purchased mine from Avanquest (from the Mac Expo show) and wanted to use the latest beta but can't.

Guys, anyway you can issue us with a different key? I have emailed - but still haven't had a reply!

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

so... do what i suggested and go back to 1970. you dont need to install any VMs just install the software, enter your activation key, then upgrade to 3036

I upgraded from 1970 to 3036 and it didnt bomb my activation key out... so start at the beginning and run it through as an upgrade... then complain...

dont forget to remove the files in the Parallels dir