Can't install Tools for Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by hussainahm, Dec 1, 2006.

1. marikavs

marikavs Bit poster

Yes! Thank you Delphyne. The boot.ini had both Safe Mode and the Recovery Console set to show on startup. I wouldn't have considered those "dual boot" so this helped me out a lot. I now even understand better what the Parallels/Boot Camp startup is about. I'm having some mouse problems, as well as graphics resolution problems, but on the whole this has been a successful endeavor. And, par for the course, Windows Activation has now kicked in three times already!

2. image

image Bit poster

Solution to problem

So I had the exact same problem as all of you guys, and had the same conclusions... the installer is screwed up, but I need to mess with it, and the parallel guys are taking their sweet time. I used FileMon and and detected which files the installation program was trying to read/access. A few minutes later, I noticed that it actually was trying sp2.cab.

So here's the solution:
    Go into C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\
    make a copy of driver.cab, and name it sp2.cab

Install Parallels, and then start messing around. Enjoy.

3. j-active

j-active Member

sp2.cab is not the same thing as driver.cab. I would be extremely careful before doing this. You may hose your system.

4. tychop

tychop Junior Member

Fixed ????

That was a good hint guys.
    I copied sp2.cab from an XP install disk into the C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386 directory.
    Now I get the new hardware profile in boot.ini:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkppvs_.exe /hal=halppvs_.dll

All I have to do now is test.
    Too bad I started installing some IBM software which will take approx 4 hours.....
    That's gona be a loooong wait.

Perhaps someone else can also verify if this solves the issue?

5. DarkAngel1

DarkAngel1 Bit poster

I also get this message when trying to boot as VM:

http://bildr.no/view/24155[​IMG]

It seems like the tools innstalled properly in boot camp but I don't get any menus up when booting. I also noticed that when I start the VM the actual windows-partition demounts and does'nt mount again until I kill the VM at the message part.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  6. image

image Bit poster

if you slipstream or have an original sp2 disc, then yes, it is the same thing. i got it to work, because its looking for a certain file that was in sp2.cab, which apparently is also in driver.cab. thats all that matters.

7. j-active

j-active Member

It's possible this hacked work because sp2 contains some udpated drivers. But this statement is 100% incorrect and there are other potential consequences for doing this.

To the original folks, I would try and create an SP2 slipstream disk from scratch rather than faking a sp2 install.

8. btg

btg Bit poster

Worked 100% for me with no issues other than an additional restart to get the mouse pointer working. I am using a legit copy of Windows XP Pro Corporate and I do not get prompted to activate in either Boot Camp or Parallels VM.

To anyone experiencing these issues with XP Corp, try Image's suggestions.

Thanks Image, you are the messiah of 3036/WinXPCorp.

Cheers

9. btg

btg Bit poster

Also,

Using the Windows Classic Style in the Display control panel of XP eliminates the "rounded edge" in XP coherence windows.

10. DarkAngel1

DarkAngel1 Bit poster

Images solution worked 100% for me too! Really great!!!

Can I delete the sp2.cab now, or do I need it?

The only thing I don't like about this setup is that I need the menu every time I boot, and I have to choose Parallels Tools and the Profile 1. Is there a way to skip all this so that windows starts with no questions asked?

11. thegdog

thegdog Bit poster

Nice! Worked for me. Thanks so much.

I'm very happy with the Parallels software and applaud the team for the great job that they are doing with it, but you would have thought that someone from the team could have figured this out and posted instead of ignoring this thread.

Definitely glad that someone here figured it out though. I'm excited to get to try all the things that other people have been talking about. :)

12. mixxen

mixxen Bit poster

sweeeeet...nice work image! :) i might actually buy this thing now.

13. bomberaia

bomberaia Member

Do you boot into Bootcamp with Parallels in Windows? I'm all confused. In Paralles can't you use your Bootcamp drive so you don't have to reload all your programs?

14. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Bit poster

Thanks image !!

That worked for me also !!!

15. nickdaniels

nickdaniels Bit poster

Error Code 1

Anyone come up with a fix for the "Error Code 1" error installing Parallels Tools for Bootcamp?

I have an SP2.Cab, and have tried disabling the kbdmgr, but still error 1!!??!!

Any help would be great

--Nick

16. 5150Joker

5150Joker Bit poster

I got parallels w/bootcamp working under OSX now after doing the cab renaming trick but now when I try to use XP via bootcamp only it freezes at the profile selection. Anyone else getting this problem? I hope my bootcamp install isn't hosed.

17. ilkevinli

ilkevinli Bit poster

Happend to me too. If you plug in an external keyboard it will work again.

18. Delphyne

Delphyne Member

Need more information. C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Local Settings\Temp

delete all of the files there, then try installing again. a new folder should appear with a random name. check that folder for the installer log, and report to the board what the error is.

19. Web-JIVE

Web-JIVE Bit poster

Brilliant

This worked brilliantly. I went as far as trying to create NTFS symlinks to this file since the OS was looking for %s\xxxxx\xxxx. Simple and elegant. Now I have this working. The only drawback is the two boot questions about choosing paralles boot config. Oh well...

20. nickdaniels

nickdaniels Bit poster

I unfortunately can't.
    My new problem is that is says that Tools for Bootcamp is already installed, even if I have just run the installer with /x

My log now says:
    Set Logging to 2
    bctool_install() finished with rc 2

I remember before it was similar except instead of rc 2 it said rc 1 followed by the message it displays on screen.