BIG help please for this computer moron -- can't load XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Anne Raduns, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Anne Raduns

Anne Raduns Bit poster

Wow, this is so embarrasing. I've been a mac user for over 20 years and this is the first time I've truly, 100% been absolutely stumped.

I have a new 15" MBP c2d. Got it yesterday from Clubmac. Parallels was supposed to be pre-installed so I didn't have to mess with it. It was worth the extra $ -- just to have working right out of the box.

So what happens. Naturally, it was not installed. So I have a new copy of Paralells and a new XP-Pro OEM.

I pop out the Paralells disk, install the progam, create a VM using "typical" and now I cannot get XP-PRO onto the machine. Yes, yes... I've read the instructions. Really both the "quick start guide" and the manual. I guess here is where the problem is -- I believe I have the CD-DVD/ROM drive set correctly. In the configurations editor it is enabled and connected at start-up. I have it set to default. I put the disk in the drive -- and when I press the Power On button, I am told
    "there is no operating system on this machine." Well, right because I am trying to load it.

I have spent no less than 4 hours working on this. This is exactly why I would have paid an extra $250 for the machine to work -- right of the box. I'm not sure if not more mad at (1) Clubmac for not installing it (2) me for not being able to figure this out or (3) Paralells for not making it more seamless.

I am begging ... Please help. Go slowing. Explain every instruction. I will be forever grateful!!!

Anne

2. Peymon

Peymon Bit poster

Anne,
    Is this a real XP os PURCHASED or say xp that waas for HP , Dell or some other Manufacture of PC. those will not work the only XP that works is the real os purchased that is your and bought .
    Peymon

3. joedaddy

joedaddy Bit poster

Same problem here. Just purchased new iMac 20" core duo and the exact problem is occuring. I'm also about 3 or 4 hours into trying everything possible from removing parallels and reloading to the latest updates. I inserted my copy of XP into my PC to make sure it's functioning OK.

This is the most frustrated I've found myself on a mac, or course it's not their fault. This new machine is awsome. Just need a couple of windows apps to make my life perfect.

4. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

as Peymon said and I will reiterate.

If you are trying to use an XP cd that came with your computer, it is most likely not a full install CD and is keyed in some way to the PC hardware you purchased.

You need to have a full XP licensed CD with Service Pack 2.

Note: if if you are trying to use the XP Cd that came with your computer you will be in license violation.

Now, what build of parallels (you can find this under About) are you attempting to install XP on?

You might have to turn the CD into an ISO file and install from that .

5. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Make sure you have build 1970 of Parallels. Look for the sticky thread at the top of this forum. Many times the store bought version of Parallels is not the latest release.

There is no reason your OEM Windows should not run.

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

also, once youve shoved in the XP cd, wait 30 seconds or a minute or so.. you need to have OSX recognise theres a CD in the drive and then for parallels to do the same. then hit the power on button in parallels.

7. Anne Raduns

Anne Raduns Bit poster

absolutely authentic CD of XP-Pro but cannot load guest OS

The CD that came with my MPB and Parallels says on the label: OEM 1PK Windows XP PRO W/SP2. The CD has the hologram on it and says, "for distribution with a new PC only." There was even the appropriate Certificate of Authenticity. This came from ClubMac -- so I don't think they're giving me the wrong stuff... it was just not installed.

I am stumped right after the VM is created.

Can someone give me very easy to follow instructions to load the guest OS after the VM is created? Very slowly and very detailed....

Maybe it's me but who ever did the manual needs to go back and re-take the "technical writing" class. Shame on them. I had the series of these classes and if I would have produced a manual like that -- I would have failed the class!!!

Very Sincerely,
    Anne

8. Anne Raduns

Anne Raduns Bit poster

All Fixed

ok, so I would have probably worked late into the night trying to get this to work, but I had reached my saturation level for frustration. Woke up this morning will some really great suggestions... one of the most important being using the lastest download of Paralells (ie 1970). Viola -- I am posting this from the XP Pro side of my MBP. IT WORKS!!!! Finally. Sigh of relief.

Apparently the boxed version being distributed now either in Apple stores or on-line resellers DO NOT work with the MBP c2d. The new build from Paralelles works great.

Many thanks to those who responded. I'll stop pulling out my hair now...

Very Sincerely,
    Anne

9. blhseawa

blhseawa Bit poster

What is your boot order set to?

Anne,

What is your boot order for the VM set to?

The default boot order is to boot from hard disk first, cd rom second and floppy disk third.

If the VM virtual hard disk is not properly partitioned and formated you will receive this error.

I suggest you check the boot order for the VM and set it so that the boot order is CD-Rom first, Hard Disk second and floppy disk third.

That was preventing me from install Windows XP Pro on my MBP C2D 17".

However, you will need to change it back once the OS is installed on the virtual hard disk.

I hope this helps.

10. richdean

richdean Bit poster