[ubuntu 6.10] Stuck on installation for module aec62xx

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by erixtekila, Nov 10, 2006.

1. erixtekila

erixtekila Bit poster

Hi,

I tried to install ubuntu 6.10 on macbook 1.83 with parallels 1970.
    Everything run fine when trying to install from the liveCD, but the process just stop at : "checking hardware… 91%… Loading module aec62xx…"
    Is it a knwon issue ?
    How could I workaround it ?

PS : I've heard of the preconfigured ubuntu image, but the system has been used with us keymapping and I''m french. I could change the map settings but not in the login window at the beginning of the boot…

Thanks for your help.

2. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

I've not heard of this issue before. Ubuntu 6.10 installed just perfectly in Parallels build 1940 on my own MacBook (since upgraded to 1970). I would suspect a bad Ubuntu CD, so you could try to check it or download/burn a new one... Just to make sure, you could also check my installation notes (see sig).

3. erixtekila

erixtekila Bit poster

Thanks, this is much appreciated.
    I'll dig and try to send my problems soon.

4. wakibbe

wakibbe Bit poster

I have had the same issue too. I have been able to install RHEL just fine, but Ubuntu 6.10 on Parallels 1970 hangs. Looking at the system log (in Ubuntu), it looks like hw-detect did detect the aec62xx module for IDE chipset support, ran 'insmod /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/drivers/ide/pci/aec62xx.ko' and then no more messages.

I'm not sure what the next message should have been, so I don't know what is supposed to happen. However, there are two processes still running that look a little suspicious:

log-out -t hw-detect modprove -v aec62xx
    modprobe -v aec62xx

Both are root processes, sequential pids. They are only suspicious in the sense that I would have expected a successful return should have terminated the processes.

5. cartemere

cartemere Bit poster

I'm newbie with MacOSX & parallels, but I'm getting exactly the same problem while trying to run kubuntu 6.10 liveCD from archive (md5sum is ok).

The process seems to be OK up to hardware detection, where modprobe hangs on for a few minutes before exiting whith error code...:(

Strange.

6. michealk

michealk Bit poster

I had the exact same problem with 6.10, so I tried 6.06 instead ... which installed OK, but gave me trouble on reboot. Odd, since I had successfully installed Ubuntu 6.06 on Parallels Desktop build 1940 before.

I decided to try installing Fedora instead. The install went fine, but then on reboot, Fedora kernel panicked. I happened to come across a blog posting regarding the Fedora problem, and the solution was to allocate exactly 512 MB of RAM to the virtual machine (I had initially allocated 640 MB).

Wondering if that might have been the problem with the Ubuntu distros, I went back and changed the allocated RAM settings to 512 MB for both 6.06 and 6.10 and tried installing them. Voila! Problem solved. 6.10 now installs without hanging at the aec62xx module. The only other thing I did was pass the "vga=792" argument to the kernel so that I could see the Ubuntu boot screens.

Give that a shot and see if it works for you.

7. voom

voom Bit poster

Same problem!

Hi,

First post on this forum, long time Linux user, long time Mac user but new to the Parallels world.

So, after the initial kernel crashes I managed to boot the runtime version of Ubuntu 6.10 under P1970, but it hangs on the aec driver when trying to do a full installation. Anyone else found a workaround for this? I don't really want to downgrade Parallels as my XP installation is working great. Is there more mileage to be found with Ubuntu 6.06? If it's worth it, then I'll download it.

Thanks,
    Ian

8. sruggiero

sruggiero Bit poster

Hi,

I tried the Ubuntu 6.10 installation today with the newes Parallals version (b3036), but it is stuck at exactly the same point.

Maybe someone found out what to do?

Best regards,

Stephan

9. DizWiz

DizWiz Bit poster

I had the same issue (Parallels build 1970, Ubuntu 6.10, Mac OSX 10.4.8, MacBook 2GHz Core Duo), and I tried reinstalling multiple times, but I got the same error message (Loading module 'aec62xx' for 'IDE chipset support').

I had the memory usage set at 1 GB. After reading michealk's post, I went back and tried installing with it set at 512 MB, and it installed fine.

Thanks for the tip, michealk!

10. wakibbe

wakibbe Bit poster

Changing Memory allocation to 512MB fixed it for me, too

As others have said, changing the RAM allocation to 512MB allows the installation to proceed. Strange but true. Thank you!

Warren

11. andrewchapman

andrewchapman Bit poster

Still a problem with the beta3 (3106) build, 512mb sorts it out.

Lucky I found this thread, I was really excited about how Parallels ran XP but then I got stuck on this problem.

AC.

12. odellm

odellm Bit poster

Same problem in build 3186

I have the same problem in build 3186 of parallels, and again setting the memory to 512 seems to fix it.

Weird.

13. ebradford

ebradford Bit poster

How to install ubuntu Server 6.x into parallels

I found this great hint on the ubuntu website. Thanks Jon. It worked for me.

How to Install the Ubuntu 686 Kernel
    ====================================

1.) boot to the Ubuntu 6.06 server install cd. Type "rescue" at the boot menu

2.) when you get to the Rescue Operations screen choose "execute a shell in /dev/discs/disco/part1", this option may read a little differently on your system.

3.) Click continue if another screen appears.

4.) One at at time. I added this from the original document:

A: at the command prompt type /etc/apt/sources.list then enter
    comment out the CD sources and uncomment the other source urls. Next take ctrl + x and save the file.

B: next type apt-get update

C: then apt-get upgrade

D: finally apt-get install linux-image-686 or apt-get install linux-image-386

5.) You will be asked if you want to continue, type: y

6.) The installation of the 686 kernel will begin. It looks like an internet connection is required so the install files can be downloaded from the ubuntu website.

7.) When the installation is done, type: exit

8.) You should be returned to the Rescue Operations screen. Choose the last option: reboot the system. Make sure you're not booting to the install cd!

9.) Give the system a few moments to boot-up. At last, you should be placed at the login: prompt.

10.) Celebrate!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007