USB Printing problem solved! (Generic solution?)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by macgebruiker, Jun 9, 2006.

1. greytail

greytail Bit poster

Bonjour not working

Hi:
    I am using the latest Beta in Windows 2K and am getting " You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer." I have followed the instructions on this board and set up printer sharing on the MAC side and Windows file sharing etc...but no matter what I do, I cannot get rid of this error and so am unable to print. Is this a Windows permission thing or a Mac issue?

2. Pauldobbs@mac.com

Pauldobbs@mac.com Bit poster

Insufficient access

I have the same problem. (You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer.) I sent an email to Parallels asking for help, and all I got told was a) to do what I said in the message I was doing and b) read this thread.

Here is my setup. I have Parallels installed on my MacBook Pro, which is connected to my home network via Airport. The printer is connected to an old iMac on the home network. The iMac is sharing the printer. The printer works just fine from Mac OS on the MacBook. The Bonjour wizard can see the printer. I leave the generic postscript driver selected. When I click on "Finish," I see the wizard copying driver files. Then it stops for about a minute, after which it displays the insufficient access message.

The message I got from Parallels support looks like the responder only read far enough into my message to see that it was about printers, then sent a standard printer setup message. I wish that tech support people would read the whole message before replying.

3. Gordo

Gordo Bit poster

When I run the Bonjour Printer Set-Up wizard I don't have any Bonjour printers show as available in the "shared printers" box. What am I doing wrong?

4. Gordo

Gordo Bit poster

OK, I finally got Bonjour to see my printer and I have it set-up as a Generic/Postscript printer in XP. Now the problem I am having is that when I print a document it goes to the printer cue and stays there, never gets printed. Can anyone offer me any suggestions for this problem? I am almost there . . .

5. jonesnina

jonesnina Bit poster

Can't get Bonjour to work

Ran Bonjour printer wizard, but it shows 'no bonjour printers are available'. What do I have to do to get my printer to show up. Have Canon MP460 - drivers are loaded. Should they be?

Help - I've been wrestling with this for days!!

6. jonesnina

jonesnina Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. What did you do to get it to recognize the printer?

7. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Have you turned on Printer Sharing?

In OSX go into System Preferences. Click on Sharing. Make sure Printer Sharing is checked.

8. jonesnina

jonesnina Bit poster

Yes, printer sharing is checked.

9. jonesnina

jonesnina Bit poster

I'm at the exact same point. Working through Bonjour, recognizes my printer, jobs go into the queue but nothing prints out. Any suggestions, anyone?

10. jonesnina

jonesnina Bit poster

Omigod - I finally got the printer to work from both Mac and Windows! I've only been messing with this for a week. Set up the printer through Bonjour, then basically had to configure that as an SMB/CIFS network printer - had to put in my windows IP address.

Thanks for all for your assistance. FYI, I basically followed the instructions from Mac help on Sharing your printer with Windows users. I had things so messed up that it would no longer printer from Mac, so I reinstalled there first.

11. pianoralph

pianoralph Junior Member

After 2 months with the new IMac using the latest version of Parallels Desktop, still can't print from Windows XP. I'm beginning to despair. The printer is HP 1350 all-in-one with direct USB connection to Mac OS X. It's working okay with the Mac but when I install it in Windows, it stops working in Mac - adds another printer to the Mac list and maybe it doesn't know which one to use. I'm hesitant to try installing Bonjour, my knowledge of computers and especially of Macs is so limited. Any advice on settings?

12. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

The Bonjour for Windows install is very straightforward and doesn't take very long. Just make sure that your printer is working under OSX before you do the Bonjour install.

13. daphilli

daphilli Bit poster

I'm also having trouble setting up printing from XP Home edition. I need to connect to a shared USB printer attached to another computer on the network running under Mac OS 10.3.9. Parallels is running on a MacBook Pro under 10.4.8. I can see the printer in the XP Add Printer wizard, but as soon as I select it, I get a "Error: The printer name is invalid" in the printer information box in the lower part of the window where I checked "Browse". Bonjour for Windows is installed but does not see any printers.

Printer sharing and Windows sharing are turned on in both the MacBook Pro and Mac sharing the printer. The Windows firewall is off. Parallels network adapter is enabled and connect at startup is checked. Bridged ethernet is set in the emulation group, and the adapter is set to airport.

I can print just fine from the Mac side from either computer.

Any help would be appreciated as I have been fussing with this for a week. And no response yet from Parallels tech support after several days!

14. scphillipp

scphillipp Bit poster

Parallels almost got it.

I've installed this latest version of parallels, and my epson printer almost works. In order for XP to see the printer I have to turn it off, then back on. Windows then sees the printer, but after a very short while (printing one or two sheets) windows no longer sees the printer, the only way to get it back is to turn it back off then on. I think the mac is grabbing hold of it and not allowing the windows machine, control. Anyone else have this problem? Printer works fine on the mac side (except when being seen by windows) Seems its an either/or setup with the mac winning the battle.:confused:

15. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I suggest that you read this thread.

16. adp92

adp92 Bit poster

Please forgive my novice abilities, but what exactly did you do to get your printer working. I used Bonjour and installed the network printer but nothing prints. If I check the print que on the Mac it says that the job printed. Where did you enter your Windows IP address? Thanks so much for your help.

17. Garyunc

Garyunc Bit poster

Windows XP crashes win I plug in USB cable for printer

I would love to even have using Bonjour as an option to get my printer working, but I can't even get to the point of trying to print. Every time I plug my USB printer in (HP officejet g85), windows XP crashes. It auto installs under windows xp even when I uninstall it and as soon as the printer is installed windows crashes. The printer is installed fine under MAC and prints fine for MAC but I can't get windows XP to run with the printer connected to my computer. My windows XP running under paralles never crashes otherwise. I have 640K of memory allocated to my virutal machine so that should not be the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to turn off the auto install of the printer so it will not install in windows xp?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  18. joem

joem Forum Maven

If you turn off USB autoconnect that will probably stop happening.

Once the printer is installed under OSX, you can install it in XP as a network printer just like any other network printer. Be sure to share it under OSX first.

640K?? Maybe you mean 640 Meg? That would be a reasonable choice.

The printer won't autoinstall if it doesn't autoconnect.

19. Garyunc

Garyunc Bit poster

Thanks joem. I did mean to say 640 meg. Brain slip there.

I could turn off the usb support but I have other Usb devices that I need to connect (keyboard, external hard drive). They work fine and do not cause a system crash. And I have tried to connect the printer without the other devices being attached.

I have actually installed the printer as as network printer using bonjour already but I can't test that out because xp keeps installing it as a local printer and then crashes.

Any other advice?

20. joem

joem Forum Maven

The keyboard and mouse are not USB connected to the VM. They remain captured by OSX, and when the VM has focus, are passed through by Parallels, so that isn't a problem.

Turning off autoconnect will not prevent you from connecting specific USB devices from the Parallels device menu, so that will solve the external HD problem. Turning autoconnect off WILL keep the printer from connecting directly to the VM. In fact, connecting the printer and turning it on before starting the VM should work as well, since OSX will already have captured it.