Solaris Express in PD?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by serenity, Nov 27, 2006.

1. serenity

serenity Bit poster

Anyone who has gotten it to work? I'm trying to run Solaris Express (11/06) on Parallels 1970, this is what I get:

asy0: UART @ 3f8 scratch register: expected 0x5a, got 0xff
    Cannot identify UART chip at 3f8
    asy1: UART @ 2f8 scratch register: expected 0x5a, got 0xff
    Cannot identify UART chip at 2f8
    asy0: UART @ 3f8 scratch register: expected 0x5a, got 0xff
    Cannot identify UART chip at 3f8
    asy1: UART @ 2f8 scratch register: expected 0x5a, got 0xff
    Cannot identify UART chip at 2f8

(... Menu where you select installation type ...)

Selected: 1

Solaris Interactive

Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information.
    ERROR: Cannot find windowing system, Exiting to shell
    #

The image file is fine, MD5 checks out and it works on another ("real") computer. If I choose "Solaris Interactive Text (Console session)" I get an error that the install system can't be located instead of the windowing software.

Any ideas?

2. rpjenner

rpjenner Bit poster

I've not had any success in getting either Solaris Express or Nevada iso images to install directly into parallels. However, if you install the standard Solaris 10 (the latest version is June 06, although Dec 06 should be available for download next week), these work fine. If you want, you can then use live upgrade to either Solaris Express or Nevada. (see man pages on luupgrade for details - or if you get stuck I'll dig out some instructions I have safely tucked away).

By using LU, you create multiple boot environments and can swtich between them at boot time, so if a new release of Solaris Express comes out with a new feature you want to try, you can create a new boot environment, and when you're happy with it, delete the older one.

Regards

Richard