What's New/What's Fixed in Beta4 (comments)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Apr 18, 2006.

1. STim

STim Bit poster

* Introduced full screen mode
    No comments here - just check. There's a known issue about that - native resolutions are not yet supported. Please be sure - we'll fix it in GA or even sooner :)

* Introduced dual-monitor support
    You can now export the VM to second monitor and let it go fullscreen. Best experience is obtained when Parallels Tools are installed ;)

* Improved real CD/DVD support
    Maybe not improved, but just seriously reworked. We really do expect it to work almost fine. The only known issue left is:
    - "Eject" button on the keyboard doesn't work when real CD/DVD device is connected to the VM. To eject the real CD/DVD, just disconnect it from the VM by right-clicking the CD icon in the bottom-left corner of the VM and selecting the appropriate control. After ~5 seconds the "Eject" button should work.

* Improved, easier to use interface
    We polished it and removed some nasty bugs...

* Better sound support, including a fix for Windows 2000 guest OS
    It should work with Windows 2000 guest now. As well, we removed nasty delays in sound and "repeating sound" problem. As a known issue - sound recording is not yet supported.

* Networking kernel panics resolved
    Beta3 didn't solve all the kernel panics. Many of you were reporting that using PW with, say iTunes, can cause a kernel panic. This was fixed. Again, we expect no more kernel panics in beta4...

* Bridged networking issues fixed
    * WiFi networking issues fixed
    We're expecting the problems with bridged Airport/Wireless issues like "it doesn't work sometimes" to go

* Fixed some of the issues encountered when entering "Sleep" mode when a VM is running
    MBP sleep problems mostly. VM shouldn't freese after wake up. And, MacOS shouldn't go to reboot after wake up as well.

* Many other minor bug fixes

We do understand that the known issue list is not complete and we encourage you to keep the known issues coming.
    But.. There had been quite a few of problems that can be rated as a "known issue", just because they lack necessary info that helps us reproduce the problem here. As a reference here is what makes your problem a known issue:
    - Posting a platform where it happened (MacMini/iMac/MBP Solo/Duo)
    - Posting a version of MacOS X installed (10.4.4, 10.4.5 or 10.4.6)
    - Posting a guest OS information (like Windows XP Pro SP2 with all latest security updates)
    - Posting an info about what you were doing when the problem arised (I was just downloading a file from iTunes, guest WinXP was downloading latest security updates when the kernel panic arised).

This info helps us very much to get to the core of the problem, fix it and test to make sure it's really fixed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. mithras

mithras Junior Member

congratulations, guys. Very impressive work. I hope you let the coders out of their cages for brief walks periodically!

3. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Thank god, they took away guys with whips...

4. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Hey, Ynot, they will be back ;)

5. dscottbuch

dscottbuch Junior Member

While all the new stuff is great the keyboard problem in linux is stil there (unless I missed a work around somewhere) my \| keys still map to <> making piping impossible and basically work almost impossible in either Fedora Core 5 or Debian.

Will this be fixed? Is there a work around/setting I've missed?

Thanks,

6. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

dscottbuch,

these keys should be configured inside your guest system (X, etc.) - Parallels does not know anything about '<' or '>' symbols, it just passes pressed keys to the guest. Just like your keyboard being connected to the real system. As far as i remember, workarounds were already discussed here - anyway, we will try to make it work as easy as possible.

thanks for your support !

7. Kelc

Kelc Bit poster

I am still finding the VM (Win XP Pro SP2, fully patched) frozen when I leave it running too long on my MacBook Pro (10.4.6). I suspect the MBP is sleeping during that time.

This does not happen every time the MBP sleeps.

Haven't seen a reboot on wake since Beta 2.

8. STim

STim Bit poster

Kelc,

Does it freese "forever"? Does it revoke after some period of time?

9. erik

erik Bit poster

I don't mind fiddling around a bit with keymaps to get things working the way I like it. Being a swedish user with a swedish keyboard (this is also true for a number of non-english keyboard layouts) i do would like to see a working AltGr key. Therefore I propose one the following (configurable) features to be implemented:

* Using the Command (Apple) key as AltGr like the way it's done in Apple X11, disabeling the key for host OS keyboard shortcuts while Parallels has focus.

and for those who have a Apple Pro keyboard and not a MacBook

* Distinguishing between right and left Alt (or Command) key mapping the right one to AltGr.

10. cajetanus

cajetanus Junior Member

Very nice. As soon as the resolution goes to 1440 x 900 (MacBook Pro) I will buy! Your product is simply amazing and I look forward to using the few necessary Windows programs at native resolution full screen. (it is very difficult to use this program now, as I always have to scroll, but it does work !)

You guys have saved my sanity - I can now live in peace with my Mac and still make my boss happy with the one program that doesn't exist for the Mac.

So if the whips don't work, I have my $50 ready when full screen works as it should :)

11. divsorbit

divsorbit Bit poster

VPN issues continue

Guys,
    Great work. Thanks. However, I am still having issues with the VPN connection. Any inputs?
    thanks,
    Div

12. dscottbuch

dscottbuch Junior Member

I don't think this is the case. The \ and | key are standard on every keyboard mapping I can find. The image of the keyboard mappings is the same as my physical layout. The results of typing are the same whether using as external keyboard or my Macbook. They are not really different than the a b c etc. I've also found this 'bug' reported many other places on these forums and noted that keymapping were 'fixed' in Beta 3. It doesn't make sense that these would NOT be processed correctly in the Guest OS as they are critical keys for using the os. This needs to have a solution for the linux systems to be usable. Again, maybe I've missed an already posted solution but I still have to think there is something in the interface from Parallels to the OS that is causing this.

I've paid my $39 and think this is a great product but I need to use with the linuxes (i) as well as Windows.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  13. constant

constant Forum Maven

What happens when you press the < > keys?

14. Kelc

Kelc Bit poster

I have left it frozen for many minutes and it does not recover. Parallels itself is still responsive until I try to stop the frozen VM session, then Parallels becomes unresponsive as well.

15. dscottbuch

dscottbuch Junior Member

I also get <>. So the <> are maped to <> and |\ are mapped to <>

16. constant

constant Forum Maven

Quite possibly you have a Greek keyboard that believes <> is the location of Rome, and all roads are leading there.

17. CraigF

CraigF Junior Member

What VPN client are you using? What type of connection?

I'm using the built-in XP VPN client to connect to a PPTP vpn server with no problem.

18. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Ok, I know it's not really a high priority, but Civ III still won't play.

Civ III requires the CD in the drive to play it. The CD is recognised when I put it in, the drive icon changes and the autorun starts. When I click on the "Play Civilization" the CD drive spins a few times and I get a messsage saying the CD couldn't be found, even though it was recognised initially.

I no longer have a "real" PC to check if the CD is ok, but I was able to install from it.

I have this and a few other old PC games that I wanted to play (like I said before, I can't think of anything else I need XP for). Until Civ III goes universal I thought I would be able to play in a VM.

No biggie in this particular case ... but is it a symptom of a larger problem?

Any idea if Alcohol 52% or 102% will be functional in the final version?

19. dzins

dzins Member

Great work, my en0 kernel panic is gone.

In windows I use the windows VPN client and Cisco 4.6 with no problems.

The only big issue I still have is that Control-Click performs a Right-Click, I have some applications that require me to be able to Control-Click.

I have enabled RDP on the Windows guest and getting in with the RDP Client is interesting. Everything works, sound (don't really care about sound in windows), full-screen at full resolution, Control-Click ... but it's too cludgy and slow.

20. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

Modify your .bashrc file to add the line:
    xmodmap -e "keycode 94 = backslash bar"

This doesn't fix mkpro7's problem though, where he needs \ on the login page.