Legality of copying XP AFTER install in Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by al3, Dec 9, 2006.

1. al3

al3 Member

I'm curious about something.

We can install XP in Parallels and all the 'stuff' is contained in one folder. We can zip this folder and copy it to a backup media (DVD, etc.)

If I gave you this media, and you unzipped it on your Mac Parallels folder, would it work?

If so, it would only take a few unscrupulous people to start selling $5 copies of XP to every Mac user on the planet... and seriously hurt the MS bottom line.

I sign my full real name and URL (which has phone/address) as a disclaimer that I am NOT asking this so that I can do the above!! I don't want the MS lawyers looking for me.... and if I tried to hide my identity I'm sure they would be looking under every rock... and I'd be quickly found and carted away to the pokey!! I'm just curious about this issue. (I own a legal copy of XP and will be happy to prove it to anyone who inquires.)

Al Canton
    http://www.jaya123.com

2. logandzwon

logandzwon Member

huh?? If you copy a .pvs and .hdd file from one parallels computer to another you can run the vm there. It's on the great things about VM.

3. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

I wouldn't worry about MS's bottom line. You've been able to do this for years with RealPC, Virtual PC, etc on the Mac as well as with VMware on Windows and Linux. It has not cause MS any grief and neither will Parallels.

4. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

There is this thing called "fair use" that allows you to make a backup copy of your data for your own use. This includes OS installs, and basically anythine else that might be on you computer. (Like say music purchased off iTunes.)

As long as you use that backup for your own personal use, and don't give it or sell it to anyone then you are OK by US law. This is why computer backup programs have not been sued into oblivion.

This "personal use" generally does not cover using 2 copies of the same data at the same time.

5. mmurray

mmurray Member

Keep in mind though that how `fair use' applies depends on where you live. In Australia it has never been possible to apply it as in the US. For example it is (was ?) illegal to copy a CD you own onto your computer and play it in iTunes or load it onto an iPod.

Michael

PS: The reason I put (was ?) is that the government was going to legislate to make copying like this illega -- I am not sure if it has happened yet.