Aiport Extreme / Microsoft Remote Desktop problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sjshaw1970, Dec 7, 2006.

1. sjshaw1970

sjshaw1970 Bit poster

Hello all. I am running a MBP with build 1970 of Parallels and Windows 2000 (fully patched).

I boot Win2000, connect to my office VPN with Cisco VPN client, and run MS Remote Desktop to connect my office desktop.

This was running fine when I was using my Belkin router. Now I have an Airport Extreme, with all default settings, and while the VPN connection is fine, the MS Remote Desktop connection times out every time.

Any ideas/suggestions for getting the Remote Desktop connection working with my Airport Extreme would be appreciated.

2. tomservo291

tomservo291 Member

I have found it much easier to use Shared Networking, and leave the VPN task to the OS X side (if possible.) If you can get a Cisco client, or Cisco-compatible VPN client (is the built-in Cisco compatible? I don't know, but I know i've seen a dashboard widget for a cisco VPN.)

VPN will become transparent to Windows and it simplifies all of your windows networking tasks from there.

3. sjshaw1970

sjshaw1970 Bit poster

Thanks, but I don't have access to a OS X Cisco VPN client. Also, I just don't understand why switching to an Airport Extreme would upset everything. I imagine a port forwarding issue is relevant, but I can't find anything via Google and didn't find anything on this board.

4. sjshaw1970

sjshaw1970 Bit poster

Bump to the top to see if anybody has more suggestions.

5. rcardona2k

rcardona2k Member

Parallels Build 3036 and shared networking resolved an intermittent RDP disconnect problem for me. My situation was RDP on XP would disconnect through a VPN over Host-only networking through OS X Connection sharing to a wired or wireless (Airport Extreme) connecton

6. sjshaw1970

sjshaw1970 Bit poster

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

7. sjshaw1970

sjshaw1970 Bit poster

Bumping to see if anybody has any further insight on why switching to an Airport Extreme router from a Belkin router would render Remote Desktop inoperable on my Win2000 Parallels installation.

I tried forwarding port 3389 in Apple's Airport Utility to my Parallels OS' IP address, but no dice.

8. helgeg

helgeg Bit poster

I have no idea why it doesn't work. You could try the Remote Desktop Connection from within OS X to see if that makes a difference. Download the Cisco VPN software from here:

http://www.itap.purdue.edu/connections/vpn/software/vpnclient-darwin-4.9.01.0030-universal-k9.dmg

install it and import your company's .pcf file. This should be included with your Windows Cisco software, you can also try a search for the .pcf file in Windows. If you really can't find it, ask your administrator. Then you should be able to connect to your VPN from Mac OS X. Then download the Remote Desktop Connection Client for OS X from

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient

and try to connect to your company's terminal server. If this works, it's also much more convenient than to use RDC in Windows via Parallels.

--

Another idea is this:

Open the Cisco client (PC or Mac), select your profile and click "Modify". Go to the "Transport" tab and make sure "Enable transparent tunneling" and "IPSec over UDP" are checked. Click "Save", connect again and then try the RDC client.

9. sjshaw1970

sjshaw1970 Bit poster

Thanks so much for the reply. I'll give that a shot tonight.

10. sjshaw1970

sjshaw1970 Bit poster

None of it worked, not even connecting to my company desktop using the OSX VPN software and RDC. I wonder if there is a setting I'm missing or a port I need to open in my Airport Express.