Possibly a clean solution for "USB device in use" problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by karunko, Oct 31, 2006.

1. euclidw@mac.com

euclidw@mac.com Junior Member

Same as CTP

I tried this solution and didn't see any dirvers. I read another post that suggested using a Keyspan usb server. I have one, but haven't been able to get it to work. If I have success I will post back here.

2. matt.hocker

matt.hocker Junior Member

It seems to be composite devices that have problems (for me at least)

I'm not sure this helps, because it didn't fix anything for me, but it seems like composite devices like my VoipVoice phone cause problems.

The VoipVoice phone is both a USB Audio (com.apple.driver.AppleUSBAudio) and a USB HID device (com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver), which means it depends on the Composite kernel extension as well (com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite).

The problem is that the kernel panics if you try to unload the com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite extension, but Parallels can't get at it.

I can see why the team is having problems with this.

3. nuthatch

nuthatch Bit poster

no autoconnect, no composite = successs

Matt, this totally helped me. I was trying to connect a Motorola phone to Parallels and had no luck until I changed the phone to enumerate as "Modem" instead of the composite mode I had been trying. I think turning off autoconnect and using a non-composite USB mode on the device helps parallels get access. Thanks!

4. Peymon

Peymon Bit poster

USB sticks

I have a new MacBook Pro , it is the 2 DUO 2.1. 2 Gig Ram .
    :) :) :)
    I could not get my USB sticks or Ipod to work with XP , was keep getting the now famous 5-10 sec
    Error.

So I followed the suggestion by a user on this site that suggested to the followings.

At the terminal type kexstat and see the last line
    then
    Plug in the stick and type in the same command kexstat and see the last or couple of commands before last and you should see the line says

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

Then add the following line at the terminal

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

This will release the driver on the Mac side so you can use it on the windows side.
    It is none destuctive and next time you restart your Mac will reload the driver.
    This is a temperary soulotion untill Paralles comes up with a perm one.
    :)

5. stingerman

stingerman Junior Member

Worked for me too using a Nokia E61 phone and the Nokia PC Suite to Backup and install software on the phone. I listed the KEXT and unloaded all the USB KEXT as instructed. Would be nice if Parallels simply stopped OS X autoconnect or provided a utility that allow's you to disconnect from OS X so the VM could take it over.

I'm on a Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66.

6. DJ-GROBE

DJ-GROBE Member

This USb isue, and no IAC midi support, stop to me of buy parallels.............

7. lithe951

lithe951 Member

Like I just posted in another thread, here's an odd data point. I get this error with a particular repeatable situation. I use a USB mouse on a MacBook Pro. When I go to meetings I take it with me, closing the lid and disconnecting the mouse. I run the meeting with the trackpad and then close the lid and return to my desk, plug in the mouse and open the lid. When I try to cmd-tab to Parallels I get the error.

My solution? Virtue Deskops! Seriously. Since I can't cmd-tab back into the Windows OS (I run it fullscreen on a different desktop) I just choose my "windows" desktop from the virtue menu and I'm back in with a fully-functional USB mouse - no unloading or terminal manipulations required.

I think it's a bogus error. Nothing really happened, but the Mac is temporarily confused for some reason.

Mark

8. rjbailey

rjbailey Member

This excellent hint doesn't work for my APC UPS. The kextstat command doesn't show any difference before and after connecting the UPS cable. Apparently OSX already loads at bootup the UPS driver extension (at least on my MacBook Pro).

9. vmoralesc

vmoralesc Bit poster

I just dont get it. I spent about 80 dollars for a sofware that is supoused to work!. I installed it on my new mac book pro core duo2. The program did not run. I realized that if I download the latest one... It runs. Now.. I try to connect a USB device (a Sunnto GPS that only runs on windows) and???? the famous "5 to 10 seconds" dialog. I tried the solution many great and inteligent people suggested here on the forums with no luck. I posted a mail to the "support" of paralles.... and??? NOTHING!!!
    How a company can do something like this??? Sell a software that works only partialy???
    I hope they come with a FIX soon!!!

10. mee4u

mee4u Bit poster

i wonder why...

... my (4 different) usb-sticks work perfectly under parallels on my macbook core 1 (!) 1.83 and don´t work on my companys macbook core 2 (!) 1.83... ("5 to 10 sec"-msg)??? i even used the same virtual-machine-file (*.pvs) plus the same version of parallels (1970)

i´ve tried everything that i read in this forum... nothing worked for me...

my company bought the book and parallels after my advice and after i tried everything out on my macbook... how awkward - for me and for parallels...

has anyone an idea what to do?

or does anyone want to trade a macbook versus a working pc-laptop ;)

greetings from cologne, germany
    mee4u

11. babydoc

babydoc Junior Member

USB works, but will any Webcam work to use Windows Live messenger with Vid

I had a logitech Orbit, which obviously worked fine with my PC but not with Parallels. Ive tried a Dynex webcam, which was 20Dollars at best Buy and is a USB 1.1 Cam. I sometimes get output fromt the cam and sometimes not, but it doesnt work with Messenger. Is there a workaround or is this being worked on? The LED on the cam lights and the thing flickers like its trying its best to do something. Im using XP on my iMac 24"

12. eseda

eseda Bit poster

Method does not work on MACBook Pro

I tried the above method for adding a USB microphone on MacBook pro software version 10.4.8 without success.

The added last line is com.apple.driver.AppleUSBAudio

I used;

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBAudio, which deleted that last line

However Parallels still gives USB device is in use error.

I scanned the other 101 lines, and there are none that look related.

Is there another way to get OS10 to let go of the USB mic?

13. rlimberger

rlimberger Bit poster

codeless kext

hi,

i have been spending a lot of time looking into the "USB device busy" problem. reading various documentation on USB & the I/O Kit, leads me to belive that for devices that don't have a vendor supplied driver, the solution must be a so called "codeless kext".

in my case, i am trying to connect a programmer for microprocessors. a "AVRDRAGON" from Atmel. by default, OSX takes control of the thing, most likely thru the HDI drivers, maybe UserClient, not sure.

so i have been playing with codeless kext but so far no luck. i was able to write one that matches my device, but somehow control is still taken by OSX.

what seems interesting is that the parralels USB kext, prints out the following debug message to /var/log/system.log

Dec 15 21:03:27 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsControlUSBUserClient(0x3f4d080)::setProperties() Client has not privileges!
    Dec 15 21:03:27 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsControlUSBUserClient(0x3f4d080)::setProperties() Client has not privileges!

so i am hoping that some of the Parallels developer actually read this thread and maybe they can shed some light on this.

what is causing this debug printout? what is your driver trying to do, which fails, before you print this? this would help tramendously in understanding the call sequence.

thanks,
    -r

14. rlimberger

rlimberger Bit poster

i managed to turn on some IOKit debug messages and i can get some basic debug statements from the parallels kext(s) whne they try to probe and start my device(s):

Code:
    <plugging in a USB to Serial converter that works fine in parallels>
    Dec 16 15:06:43 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::probe(FT232R USB UART)
    Dec 16 15:06:43 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(FT232R USB UART) <1>
    Dec 16 15:06:43 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(FT232R USB UART) <1> failed
    Dec 16 15:06:43 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::probe(FT232R USB UART)
    Dec 16 15:06:43 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(FT232R USB UART) <1>
    Dec 16 15:06:43 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(FT232R USB UART) <1> failed
    Dec 16 15:06:44 iMac kernel[0]: FTDIUSBSerialDriver:        0  4036001 start - ok
    Dec 16 15:06:44 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsControlUSBUserClient(0x4cc2600)::setProperties() Client has not privileges!
    Dec 16 15:06:45 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::probe(FT232R USB UART)
    Dec 16 15:06:45 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(FT232R USB UART) <1>
    Dec 16 15:06:45 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::probe(FT232R USB UART)
    Dec 16 15:06:45 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(FT232R USB UART) <1>

<plugging in my AVR Dragon USB device which doesn't work in Parallels>
    Dec 16 15:06:56 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::probe(AVRDRAGON)
    Dec 16 15:06:56 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(AVRDRAGON) <1>
    Dec 16 15:06:56 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(AVRDRAGON) <1> failed
    Dec 16 15:06:56 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsControlUSBUserClient(0x4cc2600)::setProperties() Client has not privileges!
    Dec 16 15:06:57 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::probe(AVRDRAGON)
    Dec 16 15:06:57 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(AVRDRAGON) <1>
    Dec 16 15:06:57 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsControlUSBUserClient(0x4cc2600)::setProperties() Client has not privileges!
    Dec 16 15:06:57 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::probe(AVRDRAGON)
    Dec 16 15:06:57 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(AVRDRAGON) <1>
    Dec 16 15:06:57 iMac kernel[0]: ParallelsConnectUSB::start(AVRDRAGON) <1> failed

could anyone from the Parallels developer team please comment on this?

thanks,
    -r

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  15. chack

chack Bit poster

None of these solutions work for me :( I'm running the newest beta. The most frustrating part is that I hear my devices connect in windows and then disconnect, then I get the error message. I have also tried turning Autoconnect off and manually connecting them. Nothing works. kextstat reveals no new drivers running.

This, combined with the need to reactivate XP whenever I switch to Boot Camp is really doing a good job of reminding me why I hate XP.

Unluckily, neither of these devices work in OSX (a label printer and a ROM flasher).

I hope there is a fix some day.

16. gabrielm

gabrielm Bit poster

possible success?

Hi all,

I am also having repeat problems with usb. Had a glimmer of success today, though. I'm using a MacBook with core duo and trying to use a Sandisk cruzer 1.0 gb usb key. I always get the dreaded "in use" message, both with builds 1970 and 3036.

Today I managed to get the usb key working Here's what I did: After following the instructions for unloading all the new drivers that appear under kextstat when the usb key is plugged in, I unloaded one more driver. It was com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB.

After successfully unloading that last one, the usb key worked fine. However (and this is a big however) as soon as the key tried to initialize the U3 Launchpad software (www.u3.com - this comes with all sandisk drives now), I get a bluescreen every time. Not sure if this is related to the "device in use" problem.

In any case, thought I'd report my findings, whatever they're worth.

gabe

17. gabrielm

gabrielm Bit poster

As an addendum to my earlier post, I'm finding that if I just unload com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB, my usb works every time. (so long as I ditch the autorun.inf, so it doesn't start up the u3 launchpad). hope this helps!

gabe

18. chack

chack Bit poster

Brilliant!! This works perfectly for both of my problem devices! Thanks for experimenting! :)

19. JEAN-FRANCOIS MENARD

JEAN-FRANCOIS MENARD Bit poster

Yes !!!! It works. I had the same problem when my USB CCD camera with MaximDL. I just unload com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB.

I did not bother to unload other module, just this one.

20. kperry7505

kperry7505 Member

Confirmed! Unloading com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB allows Palm HotSync to work.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006