Getting a usb/webcam to work

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by oopete, Nov 2, 2006.

1. oopete

oopete Bit poster

Hi I really need to get a wecam working in windows. But when trying to connect an old webcam I get the following parallels message:
    --
    USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually.
    --

Any ideas how I can overcome this? Would be greatly appreciated..

And if my last sentence could be corrected I would love it to be! There is still no easy way to get iSight working in a usable manner.

2. juggledad

juggledad Junior Member

1) currently cannot be a USB 2.0 device.
    2)You can try uninstalling the OS X driver that uses the device to prevent a conflict or checkout this thread http://forum.parallels.com/thread5403.html
    3) ISight is a USB 2.0 device and we have to wait till parallels supports USB 2.0

I did get a cheep $12 webcam to work at one point. Good luck

3. oopete

oopete Bit poster

Hey juggledad thanks for your message. I did finally get an old webcam working, Usb 1.1, and by turning off auto-connect on usb devices. Cheers

4. babydoc

babydoc Junior Member

Webcam on Parallels

Ive tried to follow this thread but Im still having problems. I want to use a cam with MS Windows Live Messenger. I bought an inexpensive USB 1.1 Webcam by Dynex. Sometimes I can get output from it, sometimes not. It seems very slow to produce anything and then it freezes. I have been unable to use with Messenger, Any suggestions? Is there a workaround? Im using a 24"iMac and the VM is XP
    Thanks

5. Uezi

Uezi Member

To: oopete, juggledad
    Would it be possible to give us the models (& numbers) of your working webcams ?

6. oopete

oopete Bit poster

Hi Uezi, the webcam i got working - which has worked fine for flash based webcam usage everytime i have used it - is the Trust WB-3100P.

7. gopher

gopher Bit poster

Now that USB 2 is supported in the latest beta?

Has anyone tried Yahoo two way videochat with Parallels and the built-in iSight of an iMac Intel Core2duo? How's the video quality on the other end, and what version of Windows are you running in Parellels, and how much RAM do you have on your Mac?