Compact Disk Broken in 3036 Beta

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Chris Price, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Chris Price

Chris Price Junior Member

I attempted to run Disk Compacting... and it appears to be broken in the 3036 Beta. The first stage (in-Windows) worked fine, but when the screen grayed for the second phase... Parallels freezes up. No progress bar, nothing. In otherwords, it's not working.

Worse, after finishing Stage 1, the VM is left in an unusable state since it's been prepped for compacting...

2. ibloch

ibloch Bit poster

Compressor not working

Same problem for me on a MacPro. During the second phase of running the compressor, the system just turns gray and hangs. I cannot even shutdown the VM, but have to kill the parallels process to get out of this state again.

Right now, I'll keep my hands off the compressor until this is fixed. Otherwise I'm noting some blue-screens of death with Windows XP running in the VM that occur sporadically. All in all however a great beta!

3. Roner

Roner Junior Member

Disk compacting still works, and works well (18G to 6G in my case). Instead of trying to run both stages of compacting from within WinXP, only run the first. Then shut XP down, and from the properties menu of that VM, choose the hard drive tab. Over there you will be able to complete the compression process successfully.

4. Chris Price

Chris Price Junior Member

Thanks for the tip. It does work when breaking the stages up. However, I'd still say this is a serious bug since Parallels Compressor does not break these steps up, and there's no warning note about it in this build.

5. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

Yes thanks for the tip - managed to do it via the two stage method but obviously it needs fixing...

6. tangential

tangential Member

I tried this. I made a fresh clone of an existing VM. The VM is a 10 gig (expandable) that was about 7.1 gig in size. Then I ran an uninstall that free'd up about 2 gig of space. Next I defrag'd it and ran stage 1 of the compressor. Instead of rebooting for stage 2 I powered down. Then I ran the compressor from the menu on the powered down vm.

After it ran, my vm had grown from 7.1 gig in size to 8.2 gig.

Help

7. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

Can't really explain why that should be - I had an 8GB VM with over 6GB of space - following the method above successfully shrank it to 1.6GB