Parallels and MS Access problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by timon, Nov 27, 2006.

1. timon

timon Member

This case was reported to Parallels Technical Support on October 30th 2006, as case #53246: While running access programs charts don't display the same as they do when running on a "real" PC.

Although I received a message stating an engineer would call back within three business days, they have yet to do so. I hope they will address the driver issues quickly but so far all I hear is silence. Needless to say I getting a little :mad: at not hearing from support.

Problem Details:

Screen displays and printing are not output the same under Parallels as under boot-camp, or on a standalone PC.

Graphs are stretched, and fonts are sized incorrectly rendering text illegible.

Text in boxes gets stretched and truncated.

The application we have found to be impacted is MS Access version 2003.

This seems to be strictly a Parallels problem, starting with at least build 1922 through the current 1970 build.

I have a test case that I will send once support gets back to me.

I'm having the same problem on 5 Macs running Parallels.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Access 2000 has the problem with graphs but not text.

3. timon

timon Member

If you doing a text only display then it's ok but if you add text to a graph the text is not displayed correctly.

My issue is still that Parallels will not respond to this problem. I have yet to receive ANY messages back that they have even looked at the problem. This in my book is very very bad tech support. Heck, I can't even get Andrew to address the problem here.

I tried to keep this local to the parallels forums and tech support but since I've not had any responce from parallels I'm now posting this in the comment sections for the major sites whenever parallels comes up. This makes for bad press but it's parallels fault for not getting back to me after almost a month when their auto responce e-mail stated 3 days.

Comments Andrew?????

4. Uly-sses

Uly-sses Member

Access is one of the main reasons I use Parallels. I've not experienced your problem, but that's because I've yet to produce any reports with graphs on my home machine (MacBook). If you'd like me to have a go so I can replicate the problem & help validate your case just let me know.

One small problem I've had re Access is that I can't open .mdb files direct from parallels shared folders. Is this typical or just a quirk of my set-up?

Regards,

Jason

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

I haven't tried shared folders, but opening an .mdb over the network works for me.
    I'm generally using network access rather than shared folders across the board. It meets my needs, and early on, shared folders didn't work so I set up another way which is still working. If it ain't broke...

6. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Member

So Parallels is the problem

Me too, having problem with graphs and charts.
    It has been driving me crazy, the graph out of the blues starting to act up.
    I would have never put the 2 together.

7. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Our Phone and Email Support is full of work.
    We are aware of such problem and working on the fixing problem.

8. timon

timon Member

I can understand being busy but not responding at all is very bad for business.

You say that you're aware of the problem but have you reproduced it? As I've said I have a test case that I can send but not until someone at Parallels contacts me via e-mail. I'm willing to test any fixes you have before you send them to public beta. You have my address from the case so if you want my help then PLEASE respond.

One more thing, I called sales on Monday and they said that their local support engineer, most of there engineers are in Russia, would call me back the next day. Well it's now Thrusday and still no call. What does that tell us. And I still don't understand why Andrew does not post on this thread.

9. aidan

aidan Member

I can't get graphs to display correctly on either Access 2000 or 2003 on parallels (and this is running on a PC). I get the right hand side choped off. This is a really major issue to me too.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  10. bennie

bennie Junior Member

Just updated to 3036 and still has the same exact problem with graphs.

11. timon

timon Member

Since I'm off today I'm not able to try 3036 out but if Bennie says it's not fixed I believe him.

I just can't understand WHY parallels can post on this board or reply to us about this problem. Sticking ones head in the sand is not good for business. As far as ksenks reply I really don't know if he works for Parallels or not.

12. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Similar problem with Front Page

I have reported a somewhat similar problem, regarding Front Page. When editing certain Sharepoint pages in Front Page, an accurate depiction of the tables in the page is not rendered correctly in Parallels, i.e., a large section of the top of the page is not shown. On a real Windows XP system the page is rendered correctly. I reported this in thread http://forum.parallels.com/thread3882.html as well as through the "Report A Problem" pick on the Help menu, but have never received a response.

13. joem

joem Forum Maven

Just a thought. I tried printing a graph to see if display and print were different, but they're not. Access 2000, bottom chopped off (about 3/4 of it).

Can't try the latest until the end of next week since I need a stable system until then.

14. timon

timon Member

Andrew, PLEASE GIVE US AN UPDATE!!!!

Andrew, can you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE find out where this problem stands on the bug list.

IT'S CRITICAL!.

TO DATE I HAVE STILL NEVER BEEN CONTACTED BY SUPPORT EVEN THOUGH THEY SAID THEY WOULD CONTACT ME WITHIN 3 BUSINESS DAYS. :( :( :( :(

15. timon

timon Member

FYI, Private message sent to Andrew

I've send a private message to Andrew. Let's see what happens.

16. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Member

Me too, all affected should speak-up

I was hoping 3094 would solve the problem:(

Well, next time I hope:rolleyes:

Emilio

PS: Happy holidays Parallels staff, otherwise great job:D

17. bbstenor

bbstenor Bit poster

Any acknowledgment at all?

Has anyone from Parallels acknowledged that this is on the bug list or that they are working on it? It's been almost a month since I reported it privately, and I never even got an acknowledgment of my e-mail.

FWIW, I can't print an embedded table in an Access report - the numbers in the cells come out in scientific notation. It seems that Parallels is somehow affecting the either the page margins or standard Windows fonts; I've also noticed that some lines print longer and wrap onto the next line, but the exact same report printed on a real Windows box takes only one line. Very strange.

18. Tod_Farrell

Tod_Farrell Bit poster

Having the same issue as described above in Parallels 9 Build 9.0.24251 with Windows 7. Did anyone ever find a fix?

19. Barnaby

Barnaby Bit poster

I am having this problem with Access and printing images. When I show my report all is fine, but when I go to print preview and even print the images do not appear. I have tried everything. I do not have print text only checked. Am using latest versions including updates of parallels and window 10 and access 15. I try to print on another computer and the database is fine. Any help would be appreciated. (this only started after I updated to the latest parallels version