3036: Boot Camp profile selection menu/virtual machine question

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ayrton, Dec 12, 2006.

1. ayrton

ayrton Bit poster

I think there ought to be a timer on the boot menu that appears when using Boot Camp with Parallels. I use my Mac from work (via VNC) and I like to reboot into Windows sometimes and use remote desktop. I restarted my Mac from work, but I forgot that it's going to boot as far as the profile selection and then stop. If there were a timer, it would keep booting, but as it is, my Mac is stuck.

Also, Parallels for Windows allows other virtual Windows machines to be used from within your Windows instance, so I think the Mac version of Parallels should allow me to run virtual OS X instances. This has probably been address, but why can't that be?

2. sfuller

sfuller Member

From inside your VM, you can edit the file c:\boot.ini. There's a timer line in there that's set to -1. Set it to whatever number of seconds that you want. That file is normally hidden and read only, so you'll need to change the attributes on it before you can successfully edit it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  3. pcolag8r

pcolag8r Member

In windows, go to control panel - system. Select the hardware tab, the select hardware profiles at the bottom. Listed here are your hardware profiles. There should be one for the bootcamp (default name "profile 1") and one for parallels configuration. Down below is a hardware profiles selection. You can set it to wait until a profile is selected or you can have it automatically boot into the first listed profile after a set time (i.e. 20 seconds or something). Just remember to set the one you want to boot automatically by setting the order. You'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

Updated! I forgot about the first dialog where you select the operating system. Maybe the other post will help you get past that and this post will help you get past the profile selection.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  4. sfuller

sfuller Member

Yes, the combination of our two suggestions should get him what he wants. Mine is for the initial screen only. I had forgotten to mention the timer for the Hardware Profile screen.