Parallels Images ready to download!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by GFBurke, Sep 4, 2006.

1. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Thanks so much Burke, this is great. Just curious as to how one would change the video settings to recognize that a MBP can do 1440x900. I tried the system settings, but it only sees 1280x800 and lower as what you could do with a MB. I am using the unbuntu610 image, still waiting on the rest to finish downloading.

Thanks again

2. antblog701

antblog701 Junior Member

Thank you very much edugas,

I tried to install FreeBSD myself twice and did not success.

3. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Added:
    PCBSD 1.2

4. uconnron

uconnron Bit poster

Backtrack for Parallels

Anyone have luck getting the networking piece to work - either LAN or wireless? I've got it in Bridged Default mode (works for my other VMs) and tried others, but seems like the distro doesn't recognize any of the adapter.

Great work to tune Backtrack to Parallels (love how fast it runs), but having network access for the security tools without having to install them within another version would be very beneficial!

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

-Ron

5. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

nfo is your friend.
    ;)

(just use the text field at the bottom of the screen - use the drop down and select the last command)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  6. uconnron

uconnron Bit poster

Wireless adapter in Parallels Backtrack

Thanks Burke! I was in such a rush to get it unzipped for the Parallels image, I didn't look at the other NFO file with my giddiness ;).

The issue is getting the VM to access the wireless card so I can use the wireless tools. In bridged and shared mode, the only interface coming up is eth0; when I do a iwconfig, it doesn't show any wireless adapters. I guess I can capture in a Mac application, but it would be nice keeping everything in one place.

Any help in this area?

-Ron

7. JLadd

JLadd Bit poster

New Ubuntu Image works great!

Downloaded your new Ubuntu image and installed it in Parallels, and , I must say that it works great! It has everything I would want - the only additional app I needed was the FirstClass e-mail client, which was an easy install. Thanks for your time and effort!

8. buzzdat

buzzdat Member

Changing resolution in Linux image

Pretty straight forward. Log in, launch terminal, and enter

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

First, you may need to change the monitor refresh rate section to allow X to display your new resolution(s). Scroll down to the section labelled monitor. See the HorizSync and VertRefresh values? Change these to read

HorizSync 30-86
    VertRefresh 50-160

Note: these are the refresh rates for my CRT, they should be sufficient for most resolutions. You may have to bump up the maximum value of these to handle resolutions higher than 1600x1200. Also note that Parallels virtualizes the display, so you dont need to worry about setting correct values for your monitor - it's sufficient to just fake out X in this case.

Next, scroll down to the screen section: Section "Screen". Notice that this section contains several subsections, one for each color depth. In our case, ignore all but the 24-bit color depth (Depth 24). Add the desired resolution(s) to the BEGINNING of this list:

Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"

The first entry in the list will be the default resolution. Save this file by pressing control-x and answering "yes". Restart X with Ctrl-Alt-Delete (this is ctrl-alt-backspace on a PC keyboard); the login screen will show up in the default resolution. If a resolution isn't available, you may need to adjust the maximum horizontal or vertical frequency values.

Once you have modified this file, you will see the resolutions you entered (as well as several calculated by X) under the resolution preferences screen (System | Preferences | Screen Resolution)

Enjoy...

9. Pim

Pim Bit poster

sorry, I am not very experienced in Linux;

However I tried to follow buzzdat's instructions on my PCBSD 1.2 install.

Unfortuantely this file or directory do not exist on this distro

10. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Anyone got an image for the 24" imac yet? Thanks.

11. zwarbo

zwarbo Bit poster

Many thanks

I have just downloaded Ubuntu & all is working fine on a Macbook Pro 15" C2D.
    I am even happy to leave the resolution as it was, I like to run these other OS's in windows on the Mac as I am always jumping between them.

I am seeding the torrent as well for a few days to help.
    Cheers

12. kstaken

kstaken Bit poster

More virtual machines

Here are a few more virtual machines for parallels. These are focused on specific applications, but make it easy to get those apps up and running.

13. SR22Flyboy

SR22Flyboy Bit poster

Burke -

Thanks for all the hard work. I went ahead and purchased 5 of the 9 images since my torrent was way slooowww. However your page to buy them is missing the FreeSpire, FC5 and PCLinuxOS images.

Can you put those up..?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  14. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Thank you so much (and to all those who donate as well)!

PCLOS didn't have audio, FC5 had rpm issues - So I didn't want to "sell" them..
    and I'm not sure if I even have FS around anymore.
    I will (am doing) a FC6 to replace 5 and will be up this week. Along with a few more coming.

Thanks again man.

15. Sproing

Sproing Bit poster

Hi Burke,

Thanks for creating all these excellent Linux distro images! You've really taken the pain out of getting Linux up and running.. Would you consider giving a discount for people who order more than one/all the distros on DVD?

I've only had my MB a couple of days, but I'm already totally blown away by how great OS X is. Now I'm even more impressed by how well Parallels works. I would've been perfectly content just using OS X's UNIX but now that I can run/try different flavors of Linux without even having to boot to it, I couldn't be happier with it.

16. thetravellor

thetravellor Bit poster

Well done. This is outrageously cool!

I will download and help seed.

You dare to do one for Solaris 10? That is usually a pain in the ass to get working. I do believe its open source now, although what Sun thinks of what this I dont know.

Too many honest people here ;-) No idea what bittorrent is.

17. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Added Suse 10.2
    (seed will be up and down until mon/tue 11th/12th- then up all the time). I need to play Red O online ;) )

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  18. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Added: Fedora Core 6

19. thetravellor

thetravellor Bit poster

please seed....not a single seeder for fedora :(

20. GFBurke

GFBurke Member

Yep, there is 8

Open up the ports.