Bld 3036: Does everyone encounter Windows XP reactivation demand?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jamesrob, Dec 3, 2006.

1. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Yes, you are right. This XP activation only affects Boot Camp users who also want to use the Boot Camp partition as a VM. And it only affects people who bought retail copies of XP. If you have a Corporate version you will have no problems. And for Vista it will be even worse for all versions have activation. (That's why I will avoid Vista on my PC and my just received Macbook.) Microsoft simply does not trust its customers anymore.:mad:

But I do not think Apple will do anything on this issue. Do you think Apple really wants you to run Windows on your Mac?;)

By the way, for a PC, changing the video card may not necessarily trigger reactivation of XP. It is only when the hardware changes have been deemed "too much" that reactivation will be triggered. I do not think only changing the video card will be "too much".

I for myself will be using a Corporate version of XP on my Macbook (in Parallels and/or the future VMware).:D

[​IMG]

2. asgerhallas

asgerhallas Bit poster

Just a stupid question I guess... but what's a corporate edition of windows xp, and where do one get it?

3. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

The Corporate version of Windows XP is intended for use by organizations with large number of computers. It is not available to the general public. This version allows for a single volume license key (VLK) for multiple computers and does not require activation.

If you are working for a company which has volume licenses for Windows XP you may be able to get your hands on the Corporate version of Windows XP. The version of XP which is circulating on many pirate and bittorrent sites is a Corporate version with a pirated VLK, which is why people who use a pirate version of XP won't have the reactivation problem. This activation mechanism of XP only harasses the legitimate users while has no effect on pirates.:mad:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  4. kdaniel

kdaniel Bit poster

NOT just a Bootcamp issue!

The above statement is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE....

I just installed 3036 Beta and was told I would have to reactivate Windows XP Professional.

I have NEVER even downloaded Bootcamp, much less installed windows under Bootcamp.

SO, it is an issue for SOME even if we have NEVER installed Bootcamp!

Not sure what my options are at this point - uninstall Parallels and reinstall? Replace all the Parallels files from a backup? other ideas greatly appreciated.

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

It's possible that a new Parallels release changes the emulated hardware enough that reactivation may be required, but that is just a (seriously annoying IMO) call to Microsoft to get a new code -- you're reinstalling on the same machine). Although I suspect that if this were really the case, many more folks would have been complaining about it. So you may have another problem.

The reactivation issue we're all talking about on this thread is the requirement to reactivate every time operation is switched between Parallels and bootcamp.

6. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

7. kdaniel

kdaniel Bit poster

My apologies if I hijacked the thread with an unrelated question... I was going by the title... it doesn't mention Bootcamp! And, somebody made a statement that is NOT true in my case... I have no way of knowing if it is a problem for others as well.

As for it might be "some other issue", I have no idea.. that's why I posted my experience here.

As far as it 'not being a big problem'... I TOTALLY disagree... Anyone counting on the "kindness" of Microsoft to either 1) resolve this problem, or 2) continue to reactivate Windows XP is, IMHO, dreaming! (there is already at least one post on here where somebody was "warned" by MS that they will NOT continue to do phone activations!)... and not all of us have access to a Corporate version of XP to avoid the problem.

And I do NOT want to be in the position of asking MS for a "favor"... I am fully willing to always run Parallels EITHER from Bootcamp OR launching under OS X to avoid a problem... which is exactly what I am trying to do now.

A LITTLE further info: I restored a version of my parallels VM (not the program, just the VM save files) from a backup and launched it (under 3036)... I did NOT get the msg to REACTIVATE... I have also NOT installed Parallels Tools yet on the restored VM... as I did in the version that wanted to be REACTIVATEd... don't know if that is what caused the "problem"...

thanks

8. nycruza

nycruza Hunter