Scanners - argh

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rebo, Dec 13, 2006.

1. rebo

rebo Bit poster

Is anyone having any luck with USB Scanners.

From most of the threads i've read USB scanning seems to be a major problem. Scanning is very important in an office environment and I feel its something parallels needs to make a priority.

Currently trying to scan with a Canon DR-5010C, blue screens at every attempt.

Has anyone had any success?

2. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

I have been having problems with a xerox scanner also

3. arfung

arfung Junior Member

Canon MF4150 print/scan also does not work

I completely agree that it would be fantastic to be able to scan through parallels. I can't do this with my Canon MF4150 multifunction unit. Parallels can't connect to the unit through USB because some OS X driver or application will not let go of it.

4. bselman

bselman Bit poster

USB Scanners

I too wish they had A LOT of support for scanners.

I want to have my Xerox Documate 510 work with 3036, but to no avail, BSoD as soon as the scanner starts to scan.

HOWEVER, my Visioneer Strobe XP Pro 200 works with no problems...

Parallels, any christmas gifts including Xerox USB Scanner support?

5. tenders

tenders Bit poster

No joy with a Fujitsu ScanSnap or a Microtek 5900 either. BSOD, baby.

Both of interest because Mac support is inferior or discontinued.

These and Garmin GPS support are the only reasons I still have a PC.

6. rebo

rebo Bit poster

Dont get me wrong, parallels is a great product, and it's amazing how far its come in so little time. Its just that without being able to scan, i'm still having to go back into Bootcamp to scan 1 doc. Its probably the only missing piece for the office environment.

7. arfung

arfung Junior Member

my scanner works with Parallels 3094

My Canon multifunction printer/scanner/fax (MF 4150, USB 2.0) didn't work with prior builds of parallels, but it works with the 3094 beta 2. It works very well. Give yours a try again with this new build.

8. tenders

tenders Bit poster

Ditto arfung for me. My scanners are working now. This is quite amazing.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I have an HP scanner that has no native OS X support but it works great in XP with Parallels. Couldn't be happier.

10. anastarr

anastarr Bit poster

I have two scanners, Epson 4870 Photo and a little Fujitsu ScanSnap - Mac only. My Epson blue screens parallels. The thing that keeps me trying to scan into Parallels is PaperPort which I am really attached to. So I'm stuck now until things can get worked out.

I have seen anything but is there any possibility of this type of peripheral working better for more scanners in the future -- hopefully not too distant?

astarr

11. FritzMeister

FritzMeister Bit poster

Brother MFC-8500 works great

But only since the last build. I also have to always go to the "Devices" menu and select it. In prior builds I had problems with end-of-doc-feeder-detection. After it stopped scanning multiple pages, it would only give me the first one. Now it still freaks out when it's sucked all the paper through, but at least all pages do appear. I use PaperPort 11.

12. srvp

srvp Junior Member

I just tried to hook up my Microtek scanner because it has a document feeder. All of my lineart scans are black and the color scans are an off-orange. I'm going to try it with VueScan on OSX. I don't think it supports the ADF though...

13. nickshelestak

nickshelestak Bit poster

I second what rebo initially started this thread with, scanning is a MAJOR part of an office, and the only reason that I purchased Parallels. I use a Canon DR-2080c, from the same family as rebo's scanner, which only works with Windows. It is the ONLY reason that a PC is in my office, to do the scanning. As soon as Parallels has the USB scanner support worked out, I get to throw the thing away. It's much closer, as back in December, scanning gave me the blue screen of death. Now at least I can select the scanner driver from the USB menu, but when I choose to scan either from within Acrobat or using the CapturePerfect software, it can't find the device. Desperate to have this fixed; would revolutionize my office.

14. andrewB

andrewB Bit poster

Since RC3170 my 5010C wil pull ONE page though the scanner and transfer ONE, single sided page of A4, black and white, 600 dpi into Acrobat Pro. Anything more than that and the whole thing freezes.

Currently running RC3186 on MacPro, OS10.4, Win XP Pro SP2. MacPro has 3Gbytes RAM, 1.5 Gbytes allocated to Parallels, so I don't think I have a memory problem.

My totally uneducated guess is that the Parallels USB drivers don't have enough memory or don't allocate and deallocate memory in a way that allows them to handle the VERY large amounts of data that come with multi-page, duplex, colour scanning.

I would certainly echo "desperate to have this fixed, it would revolutionise my office"!!!

15. nickshelestak

nickshelestak Bit poster

After updating the firmware through my PC laptop and reconnecting to my MBP (couldn't update through Windows in Parallels, had to do it through a PC) I can now select the 2080c Twain driver in Acrobat Pro, it will pull one page through the scanner, then the whole thing freezes up. Getting closer, but it's still unusable. Anybody figures anything out, please post!!

16. Michael M

Michael M Bit poster

I would second this my Canon DR-5010c will do a single sided page -- it will run 5-6 pages through but then total freezes up.

I agree also with the speculation that this has to do with how memory is allocated in the scanning process.

As someone said earlier SCANNING IS A MAJOR OFFICE FUNCTION - it would be nice to know that Parallels is working on this --

As I am STUCK WITH A WINDOWS PC in the office just running one program for my scanner when I thought we were going to an entire MAC setup!

17. jimwebster

jimwebster Bit poster

Have you tried this?

Scanning is a major aspect of my office, and thus, this is a big issue.

The way I work around this problem is to either unplug the printer when parallels is working or do not turn on your printer until parallels is running.

I have not had any problems with this method.

18. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I purchased an HP multi-system printer/scanner/fax/copier with a wireless interface. Works great in OS X and Windows.

19. daveha11

daveha11 Bit poster

Two Options to investigate

I don't have the resources to test the two options below, but the ideas may prompt further investigation:-

1. The most obvious to me is to test VueScan for OS X. I highly recommend the developer as someone who listens and if possible will implement new requirements.

2. I have been testing the Keyspan USB server which allows USB devices to be connected and accessed over an ethernet network. I've installed the client software into Parallels running XP and all seems OK, no crashes, no blue screens, and the proper UI interface searching for a server. Unfortunately I cannot complete the final test as the USB server I did have access to is now providing sterling service in a production house allowing network access to a Canon Lide 30. However, maybe someone else with the resources would be willing to pick up the ball.

Dave