OS/2 Warp 4.52

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by jtfolden, Nov 25, 2006.

1. jtfolden

jtfolden Bit poster

Has anyone actually succeeded in installing this OS?

It boots the install disk, reads Disk 1 wayyy too fast, asks for disk 2 and then proceeds to throw out screen after scrolling screen of messages claiming it can't find any of the drivers in the config.sys, finally ceasing with a SYS01195 error.

If I hit Alt-F2 at the beginning to see where a problem might ocurr it finally complains about resrv.snp. If I remove this from the snoop.lst file on Disk 1, it will proceed slightly further but still produces a sys01195 error and can't find the install CD.

Thanks,
    John

2. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

I've done Warp 3 and 4.0, and so have others. There is some info in the archives. OS/2 won't find many of it's drivers and spew out those messages, but should run anyway. You have to find drivers for the virtual net card and video. Going from memory, you might need to set the virtual hd to 2 gb and turn off vm acceleration during the install.

BTW: It is in <extreamly> poor taste to post the same question in multiple forums! This should be posted only in your host OS's forum.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  3. jtfolden

jtfolden Bit poster

Yes, I've installed Warp 4.0, as well, with no troubles. However, I'm specifically asking about 4.52 (as the topic indicates) which seems to be a slightly different beast and, obviously,won't run fine if it can't make it past Disk 1 without trapping out and not finding the "CD". SYS01195 is not an error you typically recover from. I've, also, tried small drive sizes and no VM acceleration with no difference.

Thanks...

As for the other possibly unneeded comment, are you a moderator? It certainly would be a more useful forum if there were sub-sections devoted to the supported guest OS's. Many times it's not a Host OS specific issue and those using other platforms have valid experiences to share.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

That's what the General Questions forum is for. Mulitple posting of the same question has always been bad forum form.

5. mgpws

mgpws Junior Member

I have OS2 4.52 installed (although USB is missing in Parallels for any guest). If I remember correctly the problem is that for some reason parallels losses the CD drive for OS2 between CD 1/2 changes. What I have to do here is when OS2 asks for CD2 I tell Parallels to disconnect the CD then reconnect it, then I load CD2. Until I figured that one out I had the same problem. BTW, I emailed complete doc to Parallels tech support but no response in almost 3 months.

6. bdkennedy1

bdkennedy1 Junior Member

No one is paying attention to what he's saying. I also have the same problem. 4.52 will not install.

The problem is not with the CD's, it's with the boot discs. While the boot discs for version 4 work fine, the boot discs from 4.52 will not install the OS.

7. mgpws

mgpws Junior Member

Whoops you're right I thought it was a CD problem. Anyway, I install 4.52 fine using only the CDs. I have the Convenience Package 4.52 and simply boot from the installation CD. No floppies are needed. I though this was the only official way IBM distributed 4.52.

8. UHFNET

UHFNET Bit poster

You might have a chance using these Boot Disks. I'm not sure as they are not official in any way. They are actually a custom compilation I've made, replacing the original Boot Disk 1 with a working one from Warp 4.0, which turned to do the job fine in the end (I must admit that I was quite lucky to discover this by accident). I think the problem is that the original Boot Disks created by CDINST are not actually pointing to the CD-ROM.

The RAR archive includes all the tree Boot Disks in DSK format, so you can directly use them on a VM. They worked for me with OS/2 Warp 4.52 on Virtual PC 2004 and hopefully they are going to work for you too on any virtual or physical machine!