year of free upgrades questions

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by vasechka, Dec 4, 2006.

1. vasechka

vasechka Bit poster

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing license for Parallels for Mac. From what I heard, and what I've seen in last 2 hours after installing it - it will worth every penny. I have few questions after reading this board:
    1. I've seen that upgrade to 3.x versions won't be free. If 3.x will come out within a year of my purchase, will I get it for free, or will have to buy again?
    2. If I will go to, let's say, newegg.com or anywhere else to buy your software ).. Will I get this one year upgrade thing?

Thanks.

2. JDub

JDub Member

I would like clarification on this also - I saw your promotion, but ended up buying my copy from an Apple Store. I registered it and activated it online a couple of days ago.

I gather I am still covered by this deal?

J>

3. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

Me too.

As I said in this post, I ordered the boxed version from Apple Store on the 1:st of December - that is, on the first day of the upgrade offer.

4. zzyzy

zzyzy Bit poster

I, am in a similar boat: my upgrade was ordered through the Canadian Apple Store on Nov 24 and it arrived on Dec 1. It's still in the shrinkwrap. Do I qualify? If not, I'm tempted to send the package back, at my cost.

-- zz

5. vasechka

vasechka Bit poster

spoke to guys at Parallels since no one responded to my question. They told me, that this offer is valid only for purchases from their store. Retail purchases are not valid for this offer.

6. COBeav

COBeav Bit poster

Nope, you're SOL. :mad: Although if you really pushed it you could probably get them to honor it because there is no mention on the website that you must purchase it directly through their webstore. I'm not sure they can legally refuse to honor it if you didn't purchase it through the webstore, but I don't think it's really worth the effort. I think the best thing to do is to let Parallels know that it's a crummy way to treat their customers and wait and see what VMWare comes out with next year. Who knows, maybe Parallels will be forced to give away (or sell for a low cost) the product in order to compete.

I just purchased a copy of Parallels a week ago, but only because it's the only viable option right now. Next year there will be more options to choose from.

7. shaun3000

shaun3000 Junior Member

It's been nearly two weeks and I've yet to recieve a reply from Parallels. Their customer service is making a pretty crappy impression on me, so far.

8. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

WHY DO YOU FEEL THE NEED TO POST YOUR WHINING ON MULTIPLE TOPICS???? So you have a problem - go away and buy something else rather than wasting other people's time with your petty comments!

9. JDub

JDub Member

Whoa! I think they're prefectly valid comments.

When support via email has been appalling in this matter (selective answering), then voicing opinion via these boards is the only option left. If you haven't suffered here, then consider yourself lucky. This is a support thread and the poster's comments are perfectly on topic IMO.

On top of this, the thread's subject is clearly marked - If you do not wish to read it, go elsewhere.

10. shaun3000

shaun3000 Junior Member

Thank you.

11. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

They would be - no argument - had he not posted exactly the same comment on 2 other forums. The universal polite forum rules are to only post the same thing in one forum. If one doesn't know where to post, then post once and await replies as to whether or not you have posted correctly. It is a community - not a whine session. It might be acceptable to re-word a similar post on multiple forums to try to address your problem correctly, but that clearly was not what happened here.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  12. mini.boss

mini.boss Bit poster

Oh please. And what are you contributing to this "community" by lecturing people about forum etiquitte and pushing potential customers to buy competing products. The guy is obviously trying to get an answer to a legitimate concern. If you really care so much about upholding some sort of helpful community then spend more time answering questions than playing internet cop.

That said, is there an answer to the question? $79 through parallels with 1yr upgrades vs $49 @ CompUSA (after rebate). Some people may prefer to save the money and buy local IF they knew they wouldnt get screwed by buying now and having the 3036 beta be released as a pay upgrade.

13. shaun3000

shaun3000 Junior Member

Finally got an answer

It only took three weeks... The original question was will I be eligable for the year of free upgrades since I missed out on the offer by three days. They said the key I have will not work but I can get a refund and then buy a new key. So there you go. If you have a customer support issue, I hope it's not urgent, but they do respond. Eventually.

14. Maccer

Maccer Junior Member

Well, it has gone five weeks and I still haven't got an answer.