Unable to activate Coherence mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by zozoloizo, Dec 14, 2006.

1. zozoloizo

zozoloizo Bit poster

Hello,

Is the a trick to make Coherence mode working ?

I'm using a macbook pro and the last Parallels beta.
    I see the Coherence button, I got the View/Coherence menu, but it's inactive...

I'm using a Windows XP virtual machine I got from a previous version of //.

Thanks for your help.

2. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Unable to install Tools from VM

I've got Tools installed from Bootcamp, but someone told me that in order to use Coherence, I need to re-install Tools from that VM after I've loaded it up in Parallels. The thing is, I can't... It just says "Installing...tools" in the menu, but nothing ever happens. I sure would like to use Coherence.

From this thread's original author, I also wonder if perhaps Coherence is only working with some VMs. For instance, does it work with Bootcamp's VM? Or only ones I make from scratch?

3. zozoloizo

zozoloizo Bit poster

Thanks Atomic Fusion !!
    You remind me you have to upate // tools after installing a new version.

Now it works !

4. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Good on you!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  5. sfuller

sfuller Member

Coherence has worked for me both when booting from a regular OS X hosted virtual disk, and from my Bootcamp partition.

6. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Good for you. It's not working for me.

7. STim

STim Bit poster

Atomic_Fusion, can you go to Start->My Computer, right-click the CD icon, select Explore and launch PrlTools.exe manually? Will it start the installation process?

8. hendersons

hendersons Bit poster

Coherence is not working on my MacBook either. I can choose it on the View menu, but nothing happens. I installed 3036 "on top of" the previous PDM installation and i've run the "Install Parallels Tool" command from the Action menu. That seemed to complete although Windows crashed at the end of that. I'll try running it again.

All other aspects of PDM seem to be working OK.

Follow-up correction: Running "Install Parallels Tools" again allowed that to complete without crashing and solved my problem. This is awesome!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  9. Godrifle

Godrifle Member

Confirmed Fix

Same problem on my MacBook Pro. I think the problem is someone at Parallels fat-fingered the coherence.exe filename or service entry. The problem is that the Coherence service's executable is name cohrence.exe, not coherence.exe...

Here's a confirmed fix:

Launch Parallels, and start Windows.

Click Start menu, select Run...

Enter the following in the Run dialog box (this will stop the Coherence service and remove it from the service list...it doesn't actually delete the program, so fear not):
    Code:
    sc delete cohrence
    Reboot Windows

Click the Start menu, select Run...

Enter the following in the Run dialog box (with quotes):
    Code:
     "c:\program files\parallels\parallels tools\cohrence.exe" install
    Seems Parallels has a typo in their executable name (note the misspelled cohrence.exe file)

10. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Tim Surgent wrote: "Atomic_Fusion, can you go to Start->My Computer, right-click the CD icon, select Explore and launch PrlTools.exe manually? Will it start the installation process?"
    ===

I should have commented on this earlier, so as not to confuse others. Tim was revealing to me, here, that when you select Install Tools from the Action menu in Parallels, it virtually inserts a Parallels Tools CD into the Windows CD drive. I did not catch that when I first read this message, but with the help of a comment from Joem, I now understand what Tim was trying to ask me.

I had turned off the auto-play feature in Windows, and so the Tools installation did not automatically start when I selected "Install Tools" in Parallels. So I had to take an additional step of double-clicking on the CD drive to make it execute the installation process.